What's new

Tech - Ronin Ronin plus strings

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Hey guys, just thought I'd share some of my findings regarding Ronin Takeda with you. The Ronin discussion has been very minimal since release, and whilst I'm sure it is known that Ronin can cancel strings into Quick Kall to make them safe, I haven't seen anything about the frame data behind it.

Unfortunately it's very hard to determine exact frame data, but here is what I've found

f1/f12 2+4 QK when done as close as possible is +8. The further away the move is performed, the fewer plus frames you get.

f1/f12 2 +4 Blade Drop + ~-1

33QK +5.

b3 QK ~+4

f21 QK +4

21 Blade Drop is 0/+1

b21 2+4 Blade Drop ~+2 - This one I'm sure is plus but am having trouble determining exactly what. This means that you can always input the whole string into mid BD and confirm into ex Blade Kall, or block confirm into the pressure meta game.

b21 2+4 Piercing Spark has no frame gap in it and is completely safe, so you can safely mix up BD and PS after the string to catch people pressing buttons, or to take advantage of them respecting PS with a BD into mixups.

If your blade is out, after f1 2+4 you you can either go for overhead/low mixup or the plus frames.

I'm sure this is known to some of you, but having more information on this mystery variation is always great. Lets get people playing something other than Shirai Ryu!

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Phos got any gameplay videos? This is the one Takeda variation that interests me, I'd love to see it in action

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
This means that the post-blade drop meta is in Takeda's favour against most of the cast. The rush down and mixup capabilities of this variation have great potential.

hayatei

Noob
This means that the post-blade drop meta is in Takeda's favour against most of the cast. The rush down and mixup capabilities of this variation have great potential.
a bunch of D4s will low profile F1 after b212+4 blade drop, which can make it hard to keep your pressure consistent

you have the options to d3 or blade call (or counter poke with blade call after a blocked d3 etc) to punish that, and when someone respect those options I feel like you can do almost anything you want at that point

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
a bunch of D4s will low profile F1 after b212+4 blade drop, which can make it hard to keep your pressure consistent

you have the options to d3 or blade call (or counter poke with blade call after a blocked d3 etc) to punish that, and when someone respect those options I feel like you can do almost anything you want at that point
Exactly, he has an answer for every option that the opponent has. His pokes being plus is icing on the cake.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I tried to play this but he really struggles with actually keeping pressure against good frames, mobility or
armour. You have to spend bar to hitconfirm into damage and you lose a good chunk of your key normals and reversal stuff and end up just going for f1 all the time. This put me off but the potential is unreal

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I tried to play this but he really struggles with actually keeping pressure against good frames, mobility or
armour. You have to spend bar to hitconfirm into damage and you lose a good chunk of your key normals and reversal stuff and end up just going for f1 all the time. This put me off but the potential is unreal
Have to disagree with this. Ronin has the answer for every thing the opponent has during his offense rush down. Good frames or mobility or armour all have ways to be beaten during his mixups, it just takes a lot of reads and conditioning.

Also have to disagree with losing his key normals. All his saber moves are really great and fit this build far more than the slow rangey moves that Lasher and SR have. You don't have the fast reversal of Lasher but neither does SR, but in Ronin you have the ex blade kall to stop any button presses. I know he doesn't get to use it all the time but it's better than SR.

Watching people like RedRaptor, going for F1 most of the time isn't a bad thing, it's a very good string and seems to be a corner stone of his pressure game.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Have to disagree with this. Ronin has the answer for every thing the opponent has during his offense rush down. Good frames or mobility or armour all have ways to be beaten during his mixups, it just takes a lot of reads and conditioning.

Also have to disagree with losing his key normals. All his saber moves are really great and fit this build far more than the slow rangey moves that Lasher and SR have. You don't have the fast reversal of Lasher but neither does SR, but in Ronin you have the ex blade kall to stop any button presses. I know he doesn't get to use it all the time but it's better than SR.

Watching people like RedRaptor, going for F1 most of the time isn't a bad thing, it's a very good string and seems to be a corner stone of his pressure game.
Hell its not a bad thing, i just got a bit bored if nothing else. Typing on mobile when i mean he loses key attacks and reversals i just mean after you drop the sword and pressure is a miss, you really have to struggle for a moment, and thats a weakness i didnt enjoy.

matmusada

Lin Kuei Initiate
Just started toying around with Ronin tonight and I'm digging it. Just scrolling through here is giving me useful info. Love confirming Blade Call off of the third hit of f1,2, 2+4. Keep the data coming guys!