What's new

Robin Match Up Discussion

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Here we discuss how Robin does VS the rest of the cast. I've only played him vs a select few characters but here is my opinion on certain match ups

Batman- 4-6 (possibly 3-7)
This match up sucks. Batman zones Robin tf out, builds a ton of meter, and by the time Robin gets in, Batman can put him in his crazy pressure. He can parry the gap in Mb sword dance, Swoop whiffs on him, and trait makes it risky to through out anything in b2 range. I would say 7-3 if it wasn't for the fact that if Robin knocks him down in the corner, it could be real bad for Batman.

Black Canary- 6-4
Robin kinda bullies Canary. His normals make it hard for her to approach and when she doesn't have Lvl 3 trait, he can throughout a birdarang in the neutral to get his turn started. Her wake ups kinda suck which means he can mix her at will in the corner. Then again if he gets hit it could be GG.

Green Lantern- 4-6
This matchup is tough for Robin. He zones him out and by the time where in b2 range, GL's b1 makes it far to risky to through it out unless we want a full combo punish. Even when Robin knocks down GL in the corner, his godly wake up makes it hard to enforce anything.

Green Arrow- 5-5 (possibly 6-4)
GA is annoying to catch as Robin, but if we do his shit wake up makes it tough for GA to escape Robin's mix ups.

These are a couple matchups that I've played a lot with Robin and I'm fairly confident with the numbers. Share your opinions.

Kind of hard to tell numbers still but Batman is definitely a hard matchup for robin.
Overall i think robin does pretty well vs almost everyone. Batman is the only character that leaves me asking myself wtf do i do?

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Yeah, I'm not sure of exact numbers but right now Aquaman, Batman, Deadshot, and Harley give me the most grief. Superman, Arrow, Fate, and Ivy give me trouble too but timing a meter burn roll and getting my game started seems to be the option there.

I feel Robin does well against characters that actually play neutral with him. Characters with zoning tools or oppressive mid range tools seem to be his down fall.

Atrocitus and Black Adam, two of the most played and strongest-seeming characters are easy enough to deal with for Robin at least.

Captain l2ed

White wolf
My numbers based on my experience and characters I've played against regularly. (Robin is second number in mu, so Batman v robin is 6-4 with robin being the 4)
Batman: 6-4 at best, could be 7-3.
Atrocitus: 5-5
Superman: hahahhahaha oh man.
Joker: 4-6
Wonder woman: 5-5 shield keeps robin in check
Dr. Fate: I've only played a handful but I think it's in fates favor 6-4 or 7-3
Flash: 5-5
Darkseid: 4-6 I put this one in robin's favor because of his semi slow recovery on high beams and you can d2 the tele into combo.
Harley: 6-4, mixture of trait, guns, air guns. Robin is going to have a hard time getting in.
Aquaman:6-4, he does everything that robin does but better.
I've gotten alot better with robin and i love the character lorewise and gameplay wise. He's really the only character that interests me (excited for red hood as well.)
Overall I think he has the potential to be great and he does well against everyone who doesn't have a fast recovery projectile.

Last edited:

Devils Britches

Pew Pew Pew
Arrow matchup is closer to 4-6 for robin. Unless robin is at sword range, Arrow controls the screen. And Ollie has plenty of ways to get back to full screen. And in my experience with various robins getting in can be troublesome.

Only other character I can really speak on is Aquaman. Which on paper I would favor aqua. Equally long normals, better ranged tools, and good damage.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I have my own list I've made but I am not in a place to commit to numbers yet. Game is still too new and I havnt played top comp yet.

What does everyone think of robin vs the flash?
It seems like both characters can gain the advantage leading me to believe it's pretty evenly matched and comes down to making reads and having proper reactions.
Right now its been one of the most fun matchups to play as robin for me.

Captain l2ed

White wolf
What does everyone think of robin vs the flash?
It seems like both characters can gain the advantage leading me to believe it's pretty evenly matched and comes down to making reads and having proper reactions.
Right now its been one of the most fun matchups to play as robin for me.
I think it's even as long as you play mid range and keep him out. If he starts to mix robin doesn't have the buttons to contend imo. It's a fun mu for sure

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
Yeah pretty much everything in here I would tend to agree with. Batman is quite possibly the worst mu. He beats you at just about any distance and with well timed counters he can make you scared to do anything meaningful.

Aquaman is another bad one but not as bad as batman. He can compete with your range too well, zone you out and also do very decent mixups to keep you guessing.

Harley is a nightmare if she plays defensively. She can zone you out very easily and like Aquaman she can compete with your range and even deny you wake ups with her hyenas. 6/4 or maybe even 7/3

Superman and Black Adam aren't so bad. You block low by default with both and react to their overheads. A well timed roll in both match ups get you some tasty damage . Black Adam's damage is a little much in my opinion and I feel Superman is a bit too free but that's nothing specific to Robin. 6/4 at worst for Robin in both these games I'd say.

Everyone (other than Deadshot mains) will tell you Deadshot is far too good. It's not even just his immense zoning game but his close up game as well. The only way to beat him is for him to make a mistake and you to take advantage of it. Robin has a hard time dealing with fast zoners as it is but even when you're in close Deadshot has answers for pushing you back and dealing damage in the process.

Dr.Fate is super annoying as well. Some well timed rolls will get you in and you can punish his knock back with a db2 but getting in will cost you a bar or a whole lot of chip since most of his projectiles can't even be ducked easily.

Other than Darkseid I really don't think Robin has any favorable match ups.
Props to @hayatei doing so well in tournaments recently. You're giving me hope for this character but I'm starting to think he needs a few tweaks here and there to compete with a lot of this cast. Nothing major but a little more speed or decent staggers would be nice. It really feels like when I'm doing well it's because the opponent doesn't know the match up well enough. Outside of the corner or having a red cp down he has no meaningful pressure. If they block overhead and wait for their turn it's gg.

Edit: Actually I feel Cheetah might be in Robin's favour.

Last edited:

BornThroughAshes

Devil Apes
Just starting with Robin, but from my experience as Fate, it's definitely bad for Robin. MB roll is it pretty much lol
Fate matchup looks very ugly, but from my experience there are some things robin can exploit that makes the matchup much more bearable.

1. B21 low profiles Fate's df1, so on a good read you can blow him up with a full combo in b2 range.
2. db2(MB) can punish Fate's db2 (without trait). This is huge because fate players love to throw that move to make most of his strings pseudo safe (-9 on block), doesn't work on Robin.
3. Throw some b3MB on knockdown to condition fate to respect your knockdown options, opening up your trait mixup oki.

Combining these options with teleport and mb roll to get it, the matchup becomes significantly better.

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
Does anyone have any good tips for dealing with Bane? Decent Bane players seem to keep wrecking me as soon as they get any venom whatsoever. Is there anything better to do than to just hide until he loses venom?

Snibbor

Yarrrr Matey
Robin can punish Sub Zero for any attempt to clone on block, which is pretty huge imo. Reversal db2 works for most blockstrings into clone, except for a few cases in which it'll move Robin into the clone and freeze him. In that case, d3 works as a punish. F22xxclone can only be punished with b1.

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Been a while, but any updates on Robin's MU chart?

Getting back into him, but will ultimately be a secondary/counter-pick at best.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Been a while, but any updates on Robin's MU chart?

Getting back into him, but will ultimately be a secondary/counter-pick at best.
Most of his matchups didn't change too much. Fate went from a 6-4 to a 5-5 or 4-6 Fate. I don't think he loses to Supes anymore which is good. Batman still sucks.