What's new

Reptile vs. Kung Lao, Sub Zero tips before EVO

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
So I am going to EVO, my first tourny and am in Aris/Tom Brady pool.

I feel like I have a firm grasp of fighting Smoke, and while I think Aris will beat me viciously if I fight him, I am more worried about Tom Brady because I am terrible against Kung Lao and Sub Zero.

My questions for you Reptile players out there, how do you fight very good Kung and Sub players? For me all I can really do is counter Kung and wait for opportunites to punish. Countering the spin etc, but it seems more like Kung controls the pace than I do. Also, against Sub I need tips because I REALLY suck against him.

I will be using Reptile the entire time

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
You just have to be patient against sub, and play slightly more defensively. Try not to dash too much as you'll run into sudden ice clones. Trade ice balls with fast forceballs and block low if you get frozen, hes most likely going to do 22 or slide. If hes jumping over your forceballs, cancel them with the EX versions as hes about cross you up. EX SFB pressure is as always very useful.

You're probably better off taking advice from players like THTB, Sabin or WC who have experience against better subs, but thats my two cents on the basics of the matchup.

Oh and also, watch the Chris G vs Tom Brady matches from CEO

CitizenSnips

Thanks dude. I've watched the CEO finals before but god damn to replicate what Chris G does is hard. I remember in the past I would tyr to out-zone Sub and I had decent success but after watching Chris G I tried the more aggressive approach but he is just on a completely different level from me. The thing that happens to me is that I can do well during the amtch but once I get frozen, it goes all downhill from there because I lose control of the match.

Also your GT is very familiar have I played you before?

CitizenSnips

you wont have to worry about sub from tom. hes only using lao.
Yeah I forgot about that WHERE THE FUCK IS MY AURA!

But like I said in general Sub gives me problems lol. And Omega, yeah me and the guys going to EVO are thinking of putting JL in front of our names. We're all probably gonna get knocked out early but it'll be epic if one of us gets far.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Yeah I forgot about that WHERE THE FUCK IS MY AURA!

But like I said in general Sub gives me problems lol. And Omega, yeah me and the guys going to EVO are thinking of putting JL in front of our names. We're all probably gonna get knocked out early but it'll be epic if one of us gets far.
Haha, you definitely should, is Milky going?

doomfarmer

unorthodox
Man, gamefaqs board is so lame. It's a bunch of ragequitting teenagers that send hatemail to everyone they play against. I was there for about a week before I realized trying to post there was like standing in a kiddie pool full of turds.

They LOVE to argue over there about how online ratio means SO much. Now I don't know if snips and co are like that or not... but I mean you made the right choice on coming to TYM and also participating in offline tournaments. I just really want to see how some of those "online giants" hold up in the real world so to speak. Who knows though, some online only player might show everyone what a badass he is, and people may finally stop doubting the skill of a lot of online players.

Either way, Evo is going to be so HYPE!!!

CitizenSnips

Man, gamefaqs board is so lame. It's a bunch of ragequitting teenagers that send hatemail to everyone they play against. I was there for about a week before I realized trying to post there was like standing in a kiddie pool full of turds.

They LOVE to argue over there about how online ratio means SO much. Now I don't know if snips and co are like that or not... but I mean you made the right choice on coming to TYM and also participating in offline tournaments. I just really want to see how some of those "online giants" hold up in the real world so to speak. Who knows though, some online only player might show everyone what a badass he is, and people may finally stop doubting the skill of a lot of online players.

Nah the guys I play are all cool. This is my first tourny I am not expecting great results but I am mostly going for fun. The GFAQS board has it's share of trolls and honestly most of the stuff posted there is a joke, but it's fun times. I have a TYM account because it is much more serious so when I have gameplay based questions I typically look here. I am trying to get into the tourny scene but it is difficult I have no car and I work on weekends, but I'm gonna try to find some local things going on and hopefully can carpool or something.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly

A lot of people there are a little uh... immature? the 360 board is much better than the PS3 board though. The justice league is like sperating the gold from the turd basically, and all of these guys attending evo are in it afaik.

Sub-Zero is actually one of my easiest matchups, even against the best players I've come across...I tend to play it reactionary, but there are several consistencies that i follow:

Usually my match is played with me zoning Sub-Zero from a distance as much as possible, throwing out fast and slow forceballs just to keep him zoned, and whenever there is a break in your zoning pressure (i.e. SFB then FFB, short pause after) this is where sub will try to move in or iceball you, I throw out a spit, not a FFB trade...this will a lot of the times keep him from jumping in if done correctly, and will for sure interrupt an iceball. If he starts to get in close I try mixing up Ex. Slowballs with elbow dashes and slides. and if he gets in my face i usually will do a quick pressure string of 3,2,1,acidhand or d+4,acidhand or 1,2,2,1...then quickly try to gain distance across screen again covering with forceballs and spits, then repeat... (if one of your pressure strings hits, obviously getting in combos is warranted)

Edit: combo I like to use the most now is JIP, 3, 2, Ex.FFB, NJP, 3, 2, SFB, 3, 2, 1, slide [43%] or mix up the end with an Ex. Invis or SFB if I plan to keep up the proximity pressure...however vs Sub-Zero as I said I like to zone as much as I can, so most of the times I will slide end and jump back and keep that up.

Again these are just some basics I follow for the match vs Sub-Zero, I change up slightly according to the type of player, but for the most part this is a commonality. Hope it helps bud.

McNasty

Moist.
keep kung lao out use spit and fast fb the fb will keep him from doing dive kicks and limit him to teleport to get in for pressure when they are in your face use your low pokes d3 d4 to get him off of you but do not try and counter poke him he will win you must block his pokes first. d4 acid hand his your friend as it will create space and cause him to make mistakes. The best place to have him is in the corner where you can really mix him up and also the corner seems to make most laos spin happy. see you at evo!

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Any good sub is going to try to stay inside your dash range while dash blocking so that you can't quickly close the distance without eating a full combo. When long range abuse spit and fast ball but watch out for ex freeze (spit is good for stuffing this), keep him outside of your dash range so if you need to close the distance you can. You want to be either far away from him or directly on top of him. Do not throw anything out when he has xray. Your main goal when he has xray should be to get close and pressure him into using his meter. If you throw anything out you're eating an xray. After a bnb combo end with slow ex ball instead of slide then pressure with repeated 321's while the force ball travels behinf you, if you sniff out a jump njp and combo. 321xx hand is a solid option if you're not looking for big damage but it will net you decent chip.

I'll try to post up the kl match up when i get back from work.

CitizenSnips

keep kung lao out use spit and fast fb the fb will keep him from doing dive kicks and limit him to teleport to get in for pressure when they are in your face use your low pokes d3 d4 to get him off of you but do not try and counter poke him he will win you must block his pokes first. d4 acid hand his your friend as it will create space and cause him to make mistakes. The best place to have him is in the corner where you can really mix him up and also the corner seems to make most laos spin happy. see you at evo!
Hey I was at room 985 I remember your name. I was that asian guy with a black hat...

And god damn Brady's Kung Lao Sunday night was on point. I fought him in pools and he was kind of defensive and not very aggressive at all but on Sunday he was tearing people apart. And I saw my friend outzoning a Kung Lao with REptile so I see how that fb/acid spit strategy works. I'm not used to fighting a lot of Kung Lao I make the mistake of jumping in wayyyyyy too much.

As for Sub, for whatever reason I was doing great against him at EVO. Might just be an online thing I have a problem with, EVO was my first offline experience and I didn't have much toruble with Sub at all