What's new

Remove Dial-a-Combos from Mortal Kombat 1 Petition

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
There hasn't been dial-a-combos in the common sense of the word since MK Armageddon, which was in 2006. What we have been getting are short strings (3, 4 buttons sequences max) that can be canceled into specials that allow more strings to be comboed into, which is my favorite way to play fighting games.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I read it, pretty funny.

"The introduction of the Dial-a-Combo feature undermines the skill-based nature of the game, as it allows even casual players to effortlessly perform advanced combos that would otherwise require precise timing and execution. "

Can you really call it an introduction when string based combos have been around in NRS games for the last decade plus?

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Re-reading the thread, maybe we've misinterpreted this.

I think the OP is refering to strings in MK11 where you have to actually input the whole string first, then cancel it into a special while the animation is playing, like Kitana's F234 - you can't do F23xxspecial cancel, you have to do F234 then, while F23 is "playing", cancel into a special before the overhead kick, otherwise the string plays out in full. Personally, I don't like these strings, as the timing to input the special cancels can be sometimes a little strick/wonky and you when up having to unintentionally commit to a full (often unsafe) combo.

That said: does MK1 have this, so far? I didn't get to play it yet.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

I think the OP is refering to strings in MK11 where you have to actually input the whole string first, then cancel it into a special while the animation is playing, like Kitana's F234 - you can't do F23xxspecial cancel, you have to do F234 then, while F23 is "playing", cancel into a special before the overhead kick, otherwise the string plays out in full. Personally, I don't like these strings, as the timing to input the special cancels can be sometimes a little strick/wonky and you when up having to unintentionally commit to a full (often unsafe) combo.
that's a commitment string.
Amd those doesn't need removal as long as its purpose are fine, which if, they are in the game, we will find out soon enough, if nrs hit or missed in this one.

For more info:

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium

I think the OP is refering to strings in MK11 where you have to actually input the whole string first, then cancel it into a special while the animation is playing
Are.. are you sure? I read that whole thing and am still lost as to whether they're talking about committal strings or not. Literally just a bunch of buzz words and fluff.

I want my time back from reading that. What a bunch of nothing.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
If this is a troll, it's amazing lmao.

If not, well... :coffee:

That said: does MK1 have this, so far? I didn't get to play it yet.
I believe they mean every attack string, because in MK, every attack string is dial in. But some characters, like Kitana, have quick dial in strings. like her 2414 (IIRC) in MK1. So you have to input it all quickly. I don't think they're talking about quick dial, but are talking about all attack strings.

Last edited:
that's a commitment string.
Amd those doesn't need removal as long as its purpose are fine, which if, they are in the game, we will find out soon enough, if nrs hit or missed in this one.

For more info:

Ok that's seriously a great tutorial video.

As for the subject matter, meh. I disagree from a core level. Execution for the sake of it bores me. "combos are too easy" is scrub talk 90% of the time.