What's new

Remove Battery from PS4 Controllers! T/Os Read

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
A reminder that the PS4 Controllers WILL be allowed at Evo2015 provided the battery is removed thus making it a wired controller. Check out the details below as well as a video tutorial on how to remove the battery.

The screenshot of the email from @MrWizard is below.

-----Original Message-----
Subject: PS4 / Xbox One Controller Question

Hello,

I have a quick question about the possible potential about MKX being on PS4 and the controller situation along with that.

Are we allowed to use PS4 controllers as long as the battery is out of the controller and one of the tournament organizers can confirm it would that be allowed?

Because there is not a lot of options as of right now for PS controllers/converters. I totally understand the wireless part being banned, just want to make sure this is allowed or not allowed before I buy a controller.

Thank you.

The Response I got

Yes battery pack removed, and use a USB cable. That will be allowed at Evo.

Tutorial on How to Remove Battery

So Please share any confirmed Controllers that will be allowed at EVO'15

To every T/O out there when people check in to report for their matches this is when the staff should check that batteries.

This is going to be the easiest way (not saying its going to be easy) but since everybody is going to be there in 1 spot, might as well do it then.

Use this USB Cable as it never Unplugs from your controller after battery is removed.
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable-Meters/dp/B00NH124VM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430320797&sr=8-1&keywords=amazon+usb+cable

Attachments

Last edited:

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Man I ordered one of those Hori pads today haha, can hopefully still get a refund and get a DS4 instead. Thanks for posting this :)

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
@gummo is about to get some of that EVO business. I am sure he can rip the battery out no problemo.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
That settles it then. Good to know.

Though it wouldn't hurt if someone else asked the same question just to make sure the TO's have agreed on their final policies.

E

Eldriken

You have to take it apart to remove the battery? Figures, lol. Luckily it's pretty straight forward.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
I was gonna fork out cash for a fightstick for my ps4 just for evo, but since J can just do this and have a few PS4 controllers laying around I will be doing this.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
That settles it then. Good to know.

Though it wouldn't hurt if someone else asked the same question just to make sure the TO's have agreed on their final policies.
Yes this! I remember at Evo'13 a TO said that my battery-less ps3 controller was totally fine only to have other TO's say they were banned, lol. They need to make an official announcement or decree.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Is there a significant difference between the DS3 and DS4? I was getting that impression reading another thread. If so, what is it?

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Are there any converters in the works yet? All my buddies and I have XB1s, but I like the PS4 controller more and would rather learn on that, and it would make tournaments easier for me, but the only ones I've seen are Cronus and something else, both with poor reviews.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Cool deal. Depending on how I like the HFC4 I might go this route... I would like further confirmation though...

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Does the controller work without the battery though? Did anyone test it?
I presume it works the same way a PS3 controller works without a battery. You have to have it plugged in via USB and it draws power from the system. I have a PS4 controller myself but not a PS3. it does work on PS4 but there's this bizarre problem where it doesn't recognize simultaneous directional inputs while wireless, but they work fine while plugged in via USB on PS3. What gives?!

EDIT: Originally said I didn't have a PS3 console. Obviously meant PS4. Derp.

Last edited:

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Not sure what further confirmation you are looking for, this email came straight from EVO team members.
Like @RunwayMafia said, they need to make it an official announcement to prevent problems from happening the day of the event. One TO might say one thing, but other a different one altogether. In this case, the best idea is to message another of EVO's higher ups to get further confirmation.

It would be better if you could screencap the mail / forum response you got, so everyone can print / save it and have it as proof in case of need.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Like @RunwayMafia said, they need to make it an official announcement to prevent problems from happening the day of the event. One TO might say one thing, but other a different one altogether. In this case, the best idea is to message another of EVO's higher ups to get further confirmation.

It would be better if you could screencap the mail / forum response you got, so everyone can print / save it and have it as proof in case of need.
Yes. Absolutely this. I want them to make an official announcement or have them put out literature stating we can do this to our controllers merely so I can print it out and have it with me for when I inevitably get a TO that doesn't know shit.

I can't stress this enough: Many of the TO's at this MASSIVE event will be super busy and may not be on the same page when it comes to these issues.

Error

DF2+R2
I presume it works the same way a PS3 controller works without a battery. You have to have it plugged in via USB and it draws power from the system. I have a PS4 controller myself but not a PS3. it does work on PS3 but there's this bizarre problem where it doesn't recognize simultaneous directional inputs while wireless, but they work fine while plugged in via USB on PS3. What gives?!
Wait, the PS4 controller works wirelessly on PS3?? I bought one but it only worked when plugged in and I thought it was normal -_-

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Wait, the PS4 controller works wirelessly on PS3?? I bought one but it only worked when plugged in and I thought it was normal -_-
Sony put out a firmware update so that you can use it wirelessly on PS3. You have to register it through Bluetooth in the accessory settings. But because of the D-pad issue, it's not worth using wirelessly for fighters unfortunately.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Can anyone that has used both ps3 and ps4 controller tell which one they like better. I need to order one for PC.