What's new

Rate the last movie you saw Thread (read first post please!)

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
As the title states, rate the last movie you saw (or last few you've seen). It could be old movies or new releases, doesn't matter. I am not a super big movie buff or anything but I enjoy watching all types of movies and generally am easily entertained.

Rules:

Here is the rating system I'd like us to use just so we are all on the same page when rating movies:

10: Nearly perfect
9-8: Great
7-6: Good
5: Decent
4-3: Bad
2-0: Terrible

The scores in Green are movies you would generally recommend others to watch. The scores in Red are movies you would generally not recommend others to watch. A Decent movie could mean you recommend it or maybe not.

If you want to include SPOILERS make sure you use the SPOILER tag

Also, after rating a movie please give a short reason why you gave it that score. Can be just a line or two, or a whole review.

No flaming other people's opinions. Even if they bash the hell out of a movie you like, or love some movie that you think is terribad, don't flame people.

And yes I stole this thread idea from a different forum :D

redeyes

Button Masher
tom boy ( some movie on netflix my girlfriend made me watch)

my rate: 1

do not watch it its in like french and its about some little girl who wan ts to be a boy ( if you cant tell by the title)

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Past week I saw:

Prometheus:

7.5/10

I really wanted to watch this movie in theaters, but plans fell apart and ended up not watching it. I was pretty hyped up for the movie and for the most part it met my expectations. Imo it was a pretty entertaining movie and the plot was pretty good but I felt like there were definitely some issues regarding plotholes, unless they were intentional. Some of the characters made really dumb choices.

Looper:

7.5/10

I liked the film but was a bit disappointed with the ending. I guessed what would happen at the end so in a way I feel like it was unsatisfying because I wanted something mind-blowing or interesting to happen. Was a fun movie and I thought it was well made. The acting was very good and the plot was pretty good although like all time travel movies you can pick plotholes up. Seemed like they purposefully did not explain some things in order to avoid plotholes/inconsistencies.

Land of the Dead

4/10

To be honest I only watched about 40 minutes of it. But from what I watched it was terrible. Would give a 1/10 but since i didn't watch the whole thing I will give it benefit of the doubt. The movie is not scary at all and the whole environment/plot is just terrible. Zombies holding tamborines and a tuba? How can I take that seriously?

CRUM

Noob
First Born starring Elizabeth Shue. Tries way too had to be a crafty psychological thriller, when in reality it's just a mess of strange plot holes and a weird ass character at the helm.

Rating - 2. Gave it a 2 because it was stupid and most of the time stupid movies can make you laugh even though they are trying to come across as a credible film.

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
Cabin in the woods: 9
as a movie it was a decent one, but what made the experience was talking with my friends and laughing. (not to mention this girl was holding me the entire time because she was terrified which made the movie better in my book)

CRUM

Noob
Also Grave Encounters 2 - watch the first one before you watch this one, it's actually pretty damn vital that you do so. I've always been a huge fan of the found-footage genre even if it has become the most gimmicky genre in Hollywood. This one was actually pretty interesting. This had more stuff about ghosts and evil spirits that attack in the confines of a mental institution.

They utilized YouTube videos to set up the rest of the film. I actually thought it was really cool how they took videos of legitimate YouTube personalities who reviewed the first film and put it in the opening. For another indie horror movie I thought it was enjoyable, had some cool scares and a twisted ending.

Rating - 8

I'll be seeing Paranormal Activity 4 tomorrow and ill definitely let you guys know what I thought of it!

The very last movie I saw was "the Campaign" with Will Ferrel and the fat guy from Hangover.

5/10 for that movie.
A total disappointment for me, since it was lacking the usual Will Ferrel humor I actually enjoy. The weird thing about the movie is that I forgot pretty much everything about the movie only 3 hours after watching it. It was that generic.

Looking forward to Anchor Man 2 though!

Top 4 Will Ferrel movies IMO:

1. Anchor Man
2. Lost World
3. Night at the Roxbury
4. Stepbrothers

matterovermind

mindundermatter
I've seen a few in the last two weekends:

Sinister - 7
Paranormal Activity 4 - 3
Silent Hill Revelation - 1

I was so disappointed with Silent Hill and PA4 as I've been looking forward to them since they were announced. Silent Hill 2 was god awful. The gimmick is up with PA4 - they are clearly just milking it. I hope they close it up with PA5.

CRUM

Noob
I've seen a few in the last two weekends:

Sinister - 7
Paranormal Activity 4 - 3
Silent Hill Revelation - 1

I was so disappointed with Silent Hill and PA4 as I've been looking forward to them since they were announced. Silent Hill 2 was god awful. The gimmick is up with PA4 - they are clearly just milking it. I hope they close it up with PA5.
Am I the only one who thought the plot of Sinister was horrible. I saw it coming from a mile away. So much build up for that creature and there was no payoff whatsoever. There were a few good jump scares and a couple genuinely creepy scenes but I was just as entertained by PA4.

matterovermind

mindundermatter
Am I the only one who thought the plot of Sinister was horrible. I saw it coming from a mile away. So much build up for that creature and there was no payoff whatsoever. There were a few good jump scares and a couple genuinely creepy scenes but I was just as entertained by PA4.
With Sinister, I really appreciated how it ended :) But yes, there was a lot of hype around the demon - even the trailers and tag line of the poster suggest it heavily and they really didn't deliver on it.

CRUM

Noob
With Sinister, I really appreciated how it ended :) But yes, there was a lot of hype around the demon - even the trailers and tag line of the poster suggest it heavily and they really didn't deliver on it.
I did like the ending, it's very rare for Hollywood to follow through with a ballsy ending like that. That's why I like the PA series, because the endings are always awesome...with the exception of PA3.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
What were the negatives of sinister, I want to see it

I did like the ending, it's very rare for Hollywood to follow through with a ballsy ending like that. That's why I like the PA series, because the endings are always awesome...with the exception of PA3.
See i loved PA3 ending so much it reinvigorated me into the series so i went back and watched PA2.

So far i think PA3 is best then PA, then PA2. What makes PA4 not as good? I hate that they did not follow after PA3 story line from the looks of it and continue where it left off showing the kids brainwashed and then sent to their new foster home

CRUM

Noob

See i loved PA3 ending so much it reinvigorated me into the series so i went back and watched PA2.

So far i think PA3 is best then PA, then PA2. What makes PA4 not as good? I hate that they did not follow after PA3 story line from the looks of it and continue where it left off showing the kids brainwashed and then sent to their new foster home
They did follow the story but it created an even deeper hole for itself. I liked PA4, I thought the ending was the best in the series. Idk, I feel like the ending of 3 was a copout because I've seen it in movies 1 million times before. But I thought PA4 was a good time for an hour and it didn't start off as slow as its predecessors. I thought the lead actress was good for her age and so was the actor who played her boyfriend. If you're going to see PA4, don't go in expecting to learn a whole lot. I watched it and was content with it being a huge build-up for PA5 or whatever is next. Also, they have already began viral marketing campaigns for the future of the PA series. Follow @JacobDegloshi on Twitter, it's actually really cool and creepy shit and it makes PA4 seem that much better.

As for Sinister, it was okay. Ethan Hawke was a little annoying at some points, and I thought the Super 8 films that they showed were a little overrated. The film relies on jump scares, which is why I wasn't extremely impressed by it because I've seen it before. But I'll admit it creeped me out and made me jump, which films do not normally do for me. The ending was predictable about half way into the film. I really did enjoy my time during the film but personally I felt unsatisfied by the ending.

#rant #movies

If you guys are into horror movies I would recommend you "Husk". It's a pretty entertaining horror with few very good scares IMO. I had a blast watching it. Didn't expect much, but the movie surprised me.

Pig Of The Hut

They did follow the story but it created an even deeper hole for itself. I liked PA4, I thought the ending was the best in the series. Idk, I feel like the ending of 3 was a copout because I've seen it in movies 1 million times before. But I thought PA4 was a good time for an hour and it didn't start off as slow as its predecessors. I thought the lead actress was good for her age and so was the actor who played her boyfriend. If you're going to see PA4, don't go in expecting to learn a whole lot. I watched it and was content with it being a huge build-up for PA5 or whatever is next. Also, they have already began viral marketing campaigns for the future of the PA series. Follow @JacobDegloshi on Twitter, it's actually really cool and creepy shit and it makes PA4 seem that much better.

As for Sinister, it was okay. Ethan Hawke was a little annoying at some points, and I thought the Super 8 films that they showed were a little overrated. The film relies on jump scares, which is why I wasn't extremely impressed by it because I've seen it before. But I'll admit it creeped me out and made me jump, which films do not normally do for me. The ending was predictable about half way into the film. I really did enjoy my time during the film but personally I felt unsatisfied by the ending.

#rant #movies
So the kids in the movie are the younger versions of PA1 + PA2? and older versions of the kids in PA3?

if so i like that - interesting about the end, ill definitely watch it

Last i remember in order its like this chronologically

PA3
PA4
PA1
PA2

right? Actually events of PA1 and PA2 happened at same time

CRUM

Noob
So the kids in the movie are the younger versions of PA1 + PA2? and older versions of the kids in PA3?

if so i like that - interesting about the end, ill definitely watch it

Last i remember in order its like this chronologically

PA3
PA4
PA1
PA2

right? Actually events of PA1 and PA2 happened at same time
Nope, it goes PA3, PA2 (up until the last 10 minutes), PA1, The last 10 minutes of PA2, and then PA4 picks up where the ending of 2 left off. The lead actress and lead actor are fresh characters. And PA4 continues what happened with Hunter and Katie after Katie was possessed and stole Hunter from her sister.

Pig Of The Hut

Nope, it goes PA3, PA2 (up until the last 10 minutes), PA1, The last 10 minutes of PA2, and then PA4 picks up where the ending of 2 left off. The lead actress and lead actor are fresh characters. And PA4 continues what happened with Hunter and Katie after Katie was possessed and stole Hunter from her sister.

Oh so there is no movie yet with explanation of events are PA3 where the kids get brainwashed (as hinted by the witches manual thing) and after they burn the house down they go to foster parents......?

very interesting this is after events of PA2........So im guessing Hunter is the BF lol

CRUM

Noob
Oh so there is no movie yet with explanation of events are PA3 where the kids get brainwashed (as hinted by the witches manual thing) and after they burn the house down they go to foster parents......?

very interesting this is after events of PA2........So im guessing Hunter is the BF lol
No no no, this is only about 5 or so years after the events of PA2. And no, there is no legitimate bridge that connects PA3 and PA1 just yet. Although, as I mention earlier, this guy Jacob Degloshi on Twitter found a mysterious VHS tape in his daughters luggage when they moved to a new house. Coincidentally it is footage that shows Katie and Kristi as they were young (from PA3). So we're getting a little more closure as to what happened after they were brainwashed and other little things that happened while Katie and Kristi were still with their birth parents.

Silent Hill Revelation 3D

5/10

I say decent only because the design of the creatures presented in the film are well done. I was extremely hype during the beginning of the movie as it kept what made the first one good; random danger and anticipation of something happening. However, once the journey to Silent Hill begins it's as if they forget all about it and because of this I found myself simply unafraid. The jump scares fall flat on their face once you realize this and then the next thing you know it's almost over.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
PA3 was meh. 5/10.

The way they should do these movies is make it less obvious. And not do the same thing over and over. As in, door closing 50 times the entire movie. They need to be more subtle, so you have to actually "catch" something happening. It being right in the middle of the screen or way too obvious really kills it for me. The thing that makes PA interesting is that it's supposed to be "real". It's as if we found the footage and are watching it. It's so much more creepy if the thing that's happening is less apparent. Like in the corner you see a reflection of something, or something moves but not in the center of the frame. I could make a movie like this 10x better, and I do have experience too.

Anyway, aside from that, I thought PA3 needed more stuff happening and it was kinda slow. Also repetitive. I still think the first one was the best. 2 and 3 haven't lived up to the first one imo.

I liked sinister, and what they did really well was the sound effects, this is a movie you need to watch in the cinema. I dont want to spoil too much, but the movie is about ethan hawke the main character who is a true crime writer, he moves into a house where a whole family got mysteriously murderd. When he moves into the house he finds a box with videos in the attic. The videos turn out to be somewhat crazy and each time he watches these videos in the night you get this crazy sound/music/sound effect which mindfucked me, but then again I watched this movie at 5 o clock in the morning so that had something to do with it as well probably.

Pig Of The Hut

PA3 was meh. 5/10.

The way they should do these movies is make it less obvious. And not do the same thing over and over. As in, door closing 50 times the entire movie. They need to be more subtle, so you have to actually "catch" something happening. It being right in the middle of the screen or way too obvious really kills it for me. The thing that makes PA interesting is that it's supposed to be "real". It's as if we found the footage and are watching it. It's so much more creepy if the thing that's happening is less apparent. Like in the corner you see a reflection of something, or something moves but not in the center of the frame. I could make a movie like this 10x better, and I do have experience too.

Anyway, aside from that, I thought PA3 needed more stuff happening and it was kinda slow. Also repetitive. I still think the first one was the best. 2 and 3 haven't lived up to the first one imo.
i thought pa3 was best then pa1, and pa2.

I 100% agree with you about the center frame shots, 100%