What's new

Ranked should stay "one and done". Here's why.

Aramonde

Noob
Seriously! Playoffs and fighting game tournaments ARE NOT LEAGUES, they're knockout tournaments.
You're assuming NRS ranked modes are leagues. What makes that mode a league? It doesn't even give you points it just adds to your W/L ratio. It shouldn't be called ranked because it doesn't have ranks to move up into.

I'm not saying they can't, it just wasn't designed for them.

At the moment more serious players only have ranked to call home, that's why I belive they want it to be a full set.
I can see where you're coming from. I think what would suit for this would be like the system in SFIV. I can't remember what it was called but it was a tournament system. The way it worked was, you were matched by where you were in the tournament, so first game matched with people that hadn't played a 1st game yet. If you won you were matched with someone that had won the first game etc. Until for the final match you were only matched with those that made it that far.

The more I think about it, it would be amazing if they implemented that mode, especially with 2/3 (I think it was one and done in SFIV). I loved that mode.

SunsetBlvd

Proven Nappa GOD, 100% VERIFIED Best Nappa NA
Ironic considering the only arguments back are, "I want sets" and "tournaments are sets".
you and i both know that you are trying to make a case for the clearly more "casual" option here because you want attention. luckily for me, since it's the industry standard to give the option for a rematch in ranked, i don't have to make a case for myself. it's liberating.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
This is the attitude I was talking about, they paid for the game, they can play whichever game mode takes their fancy. If you want a competitive tournament based set system, enter a tournament.
You're right, they're more than welcome to play any mode, I have no problem with that whatsoever and neither has anyone in this thread so I don't know why you keep bringing this up. But if they have no understanding of the game at a competitive level, then go into ranked - which is a competitive mode, hence why competitive mode is on by default - and get destroyed then rage quit, then they shouldn't be playing.

Your entire argument just seems to be, 'keep it best of one so the casuals can get cheesy wins and the opponent has no time to take advantage of adapting to them.' If they're going up the leaderboards due to getting gimmicky wins and thinking they're good, then that's even worse than them losing and learning from it to become better.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
It's not that hard to make a 3/5 mode with gear off whether in ranked or player matches. If you want more games after that, invite to private match. This would fix both problems imo. They want more people to get into the competitive side and it would be good practice. Maybe an online tourny mode? with the option to invite players. Use this during esl and half the bullshit goes away... Cough.. Dragon.. Cough..

I'
you and i both know that you are trying to make a case for the clearly more "casual" option here because you want attention. luckily for me, since it's the industry standard to give the option for a rematch in ranked, i don't have to make a case for myself. it's liberating.
m not arguing against rematch option, my problem is with forced sets. p.s. "because that's how it's always done" is the worst logical fallacy there is.

You're right, they're more than welcome to play any mode, I have no problem with that whatsoever and neither has anyone in this thread so I don't know why you keep bringing this up. But if they have no understanding of the game at a competitive level, then go into ranked - which is a competitive mode, hence why competitive mode is on by default - and get destroyed then rage quit, then they shouldn't be playing.

Your entire argument just seems to be, 'keep it best of one so the casuals can get cheesy wins and the opponent has no time to take advantage of adapting to them.' If they're going up the leaderboards due to getting gimmicky wins and thinking they're good, then that's even worse than them losing and learning from it to become better.
My point is gimmicky wins won't get them far. If you're the better player you'll win more games overall and rank higher. People are too caught up in that one game.

It's not that hard to make a 3/5 mode with gear off whether in ranked or player matches. If you want more games after that, invite to private match. This would fix both problems imo. They want more people to get into the competitive side and it would be good practice. Maybe an online tourny mode? with the option to invite players. Use this during esl and half the bullshit goes away... Cough.. Dragon.. Cough..
You might like the idea of the SFIV mode I mention above.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
My point is gimmicky wins won't get them far. If you're the better player you'll win more games overall and rank higher. People are too caught up in that one game.
There's nothing on the line though, except bragging rights, but even then nobody cares about your placement. The majority of players don't play ranked for their leaderboard placement, they just want competitive games.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
I think the best sports analogy that can be made to ranked being 2/3 would be the mlb where teams play each other in a series of 2,3, or 4 games before moving onto the next team. But ranked shold be like a tournament setting where even in pools which is like a mini league table within it's multiple games. Give opponents time to adapt in a set or at least the option to rematch. Anyways the only thing I see where a player could make improvements in ranked is adapting over the span of one match better.

You're assuming NRS ranked modes are leagues. What makes that mode a league? It doesn't even give you points it just adds to your W/L ratio. It shouldn't be called ranked because it doesn't have ranks to move up into.
You do get points, it shows you them on the leaderboard.