What's new

General/Other Raiden.... God of firecrackers

The god of thunder... nope.

NRS completely messed this character up. After stepping away for some time, I have returned. My local scene is to good not to play. M2Dave, masterD, forever king, thtb, and now michaelangelo.

He is to easy to react too. I use to play a very turtly raiden. All his nerfs really set him back. He is Low Mid at best. The reason i stepped away from the game is because i put so much time into him and learning matchups... give me back out of the box raiden.

Although I hate it... i am going to someone else. Although i can have no problem winner against online scrubs or whoever with this character... im talking about the highest level of play :/

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Just play him with footsies and whiff punishing.

His nerfs were only on teleport and the 3rd hit of b312/334 right?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends

Vicinity Blast is also not so positive on block. Only 0.

Raiden's nerfs mean a lot now that everyone's gotten better at the game. His strings could already be interrupted with armor and some characters can poke him out of his strings. 2f more recovery on teleport was a huge blow as well. He had a lot, but he's not good now.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Vicinity Blast is also not so positive on block. Only 0.

Raiden's nerfs mean a lot now that everyone's gotten better at the game. His strings could already be interrupted with armor and some characters can poke him out of his strings. 2f more recovery on teleport was a huge blow as well. He had a lot, but he's not good now.
Man those raiden = #1 threads are AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
now that everybody is dropping him and mileena, is it time for me to pick them up?!!?!? :DDDDDDDDD

Albo

Noob
He's completely fine the way he is. The players behind the character just need to show dedication and loyalty to the character, keep working on his matchups further and take him to the next level. I've been maining Raiden since day one and even though i don't play the game as much these days, i do agree that people have adapted to learn to play against him, exploit his weaknesses which is why it seems to people that he's not as good as he used to be although the previous patch wasn't in his favour. I wouldn't say he's low mid tier myself, but has always been and still is definitely top 10 (lower top/upper mid tier) in the hands of a solid player. UFG did a good job in his Raiden vid at explaining some of the strong aspects of the character.

We've seen Jop play a turtle raiden (being a year ago that's irrelevant though) and more recently brady with the same style but imo trying to play in that style just doesn't work well at all. You either have to play rushdown (similar to how pl played at Frosty fausting) or a mix of both rushdown and turtle with solid fundamentals which i think B W1zZ does the best. I still think more players raiden mains need to keep working on their match ups, dedicate themselves to the character because he is most definitely a tournament viable character in the hands of the right player even when you use him exclusively in tournament.

Vicinity blast was changed from around +14 on block to 0, they added around 2f of recovery on regular tele and they buffed his ex tele so that he can move instantly once he reappears behind the opponent.

Playing him just based on footsies and whiff punishing is very risky since you're relying a lot on your opponent doing something so that you can counter. Make one mistake and your opponent can sit on the life lead, exploiting one of raidens weakness in his comeback factor. Raiden is forced to be risky once the opponent has the life lead and that can either go in his favor or cost him the match. As UFG said nothings guaranteed with Raiden, it's pretty much based on reads, conditioning your opponent and one big guessing game/mind games when playing as Raiden. He doesn't have that element of BS that most of top characters have though imo and requires a lot of good reads to win at high level with which is why i think some people are dropping him.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Playing him just based on footsies and whiff punishing is very risky since you're relying a lot on your opponent doing something so that you can counter.
Oh HAHA you're might I must have been crazy.

How could I have not seen that my strategy was countered by the opponent doing nothing and letting Raiden chip him to death.

THANK YOU FOR SHOWING ME THE LIGHT.

B W1zZ

Noob
The god of thunder... nope.

NRS completely messed this character up. After stepping away for some time, I have returned. My local scene is to good not to play. M2Dave, masterD, forever king, thtb, and now michaelangelo.

He is to easy to react too. I use to play a very turtly raiden. All his nerfs really set him back. He is Low Mid at best. The reason i stepped away from the game is because i put so much time into him and learning matchups... give me back out of the box raiden.

Although I hate it... i am going to someone else. Although i can have no problem winner against online scrubs or whoever with this character... im talking about the highest level of play :/
Well first of all you've stepped away for some time, of course it's going to be harder to fight people like the ones you listed if you haven't even been playing.

He's easy to react to if your being too predictable with him. His nerfs mean that you need to innovate and learn how to play differently with him. Low-mid? You can't be serious. If anything hes high mid or just high tier, but then again tier lists are stupid anyways.

The thing that bothers me is people complain when they lose to players like the ones you listed, cdbros etc who all play at a very high level and then downplay Raiden like he sucks, like it's going to be any different if you use another character.

B W1zZ

Noob
when is the last time a raiden has been in a top 8 at a major?
Devastation by my hand (right after he was nerfed), and I know Maxter used him in top 8 at I think seasons beatings, although he didn't use him to get there. LaDLurker over in chile won their national tourney and a trip to EVO as well.

Him not being in top 8's recently isn't a matter of the character sucks, moreso a lack of people who play the character at his highest level.

B W1zZ

Noob
Basically my point is every time I come across something difficult that I can't beat with the character...I don't just drop my character and say he sucks. I find what I'm doing wrong and develop new strategies/ways of thinking and playing the character. I ask myself what I'm doing wrong and what I can do to change it.

I can beat Cages, Kabals, Sonyas, and every other supposed "bad matchup" Raiden has at a high level. I'm not saying the matches aren't difficult or competitive, but far from impossible to win like people make them out to be.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Raiden is still good. He has been overrated for some time and now people are figuring him out. It's impossible to call a character that turns advantage into a guessing game bad or say he sucks though. He is 100% bait and punish and his footsies are still very good.