What's new

Raiden General Discussion

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
i found a bug with scorpion sadly, he should normally be even better with raiden. after raidens back throw, you should be able to juggle with scorpions up kameo, but he spawns on the wrong side of raiden, far off the screen. you only hear the fire and see the kameo bar go away.
Yeah. Would be great if we could combo from throw. with good timing you can use scorpion early and get a bit more damage but no combo, just 12,5%

Yeah. Would be great if we could combo from throw. with good timing you can use scorpion early and get a bit more damage but no combo, just 12,5%
weird thing is that it works with others chars like darrius or goro but their damage is not really worth the kameo cost.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
So. Some time has passed since release. What cameos have you been using?

For combos I think Scorpion is the best since you get ~30% no bar from any starter and ~50% one bar combos. Also has an overhead special which goes nicely with F434 and gets you decent damage for what it is (FYI it's a combo starter).

For pressure/chip damage I've been using Kano combining him with DB3. Also some zoning help is appreciated on Raiden.

Maybe we could get a separate thread for discussing Raiden cameos, @RoboCop ?
I use sektor. Up rocket for making DB3 safer and we get decent damage and corner carry with telepunch into fly enders (see my post in the combo thread). I think flame burner is the invincible wakeup right? I need to use that more. Up rocket also lets me get safe teleports in. But one thing I don’t like is it seems that it doesn’t have a lot of block stun so the projectile oki isn’t that good.

Mandolore1123

Tbh is the 26 or so percent combo with meter from throw all that worth it? Sure it’d be nice to close off the round but it seems expensive for not a whole lot of reward.

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
Tbh is the 26 or so percent combo with meter from throw all that worth it? Sure it’d be nice to close off the round but it seems expensive for not a whole lot of reward.
Depends on the round tbh. Just having the option would be great.
80+f teleport makes me sad though :(
Yeah. My boy Raiden went from having the best tp in the game in mk9 and mk11 to not being able to punish some projectiles unless on a hard read

CipherJ

Noob
tbh i hope they will remove any way to combo from throws from the game.
If you give up kombo damage with the kameo pick, but get a kombo throw then that is an awesome decision to have to make when picking kameo. But if a kameo gives you godly kombos and the kombo throw then bad on the dev team, unless it cost full kameo.

Last edited:

xRantex

Rante Inferno
Ok I think we may get a Dark Raiden skin cause it's no way the VA came back to say 2 lines right?? It's not like he has a big role in story but yeah that's my theory :)

(Finally got the game did the easy Jax 50% now I'm going from there)

Mandolore1123

soo... raiden. he seemed rushdown at first but the more i play the more i feel like he is a defensive powerhouse who relies on his mobility and punishes with insane damage, then has some mixups on knockdown. and tbh, thats how raiden was most of the time, like in mk9 and 11.
I agree, with his passive and this slower than average mids but amazing walk speed he seems better at baiting moves from his opponent and then whiff punishing them rather than trying to straight up brawl them

Black Chapters

Legend of Legaia Main
Hmmm so db2 does no damage?? Lol not even chip? but yeah just playing around in practice atm.
its got a decent amount of range at least

I'm wondering if it could be used to stun people with more range like Reiko

it can anti-air but so can shocker and 3,4

beyond that, a pretty useless move

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
My theory is sometime in the game's development db2 used to be much faster, like 6 or 7 frames. Seems like a callback to quick charge especially that we have that one passive that works on block. Maybe db2 would be faster only if the buff is applied to Raiden. Anyway NRS might have realised that Raiden is already good and doesnt need such a blatantly amazing tool.

Or not. That's just a theory

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
So curious y'alls take on Jax vs Cyrax. I've recently been on the Cyrax train and it just seems to add a layer to Raiden that makes opening up my opponent easier. I understand the appeal of Jax's damage, but I find that Raiden is better played as a defensive character that can lame you out and chip you away with amazing ranged pokes into db3 ~ Cyrax kameo. I find I'm opening up my opponents more often and catch them mashing. I also almost always have meter to burn to convert everything into ex df2 to get 350ish damage. Thoughts?

Mandolore1123

So curious y'alls take on Jax vs Cyrax. I've recently been on the Cyrax train and it just seems to add a layer to Raiden that makes opening up my opponent easier. I understand the appeal of Jax's damage, but I find that Raiden is better played as a defensive character that can lame you out and chip you away with amazing ranged pokes into db3 ~ Cyrax kameo. I find I'm opening up my opponents more often and catch them mashing. I also almost always have meter to burn to convert everything into ex df2 to get 350ish damage. Thoughts?
I tend to agree with your rationale. However as I use Sektor I can’t comment any further lel

Mahjunia

Noob
I'm still learning the game and seeking my gameplan. At first I was trying Cyrax, but now I play sektor which can leave you safe after db3 if done properly, lead to 50% dmg using kameo 2 times + 1 bar and also has a good Launcher for f43.

I might have to play Cyrax again and see how It goes.

Mandolore1123

I'm still learning the game and seeking my gameplan. At first I was trying Cyrax, but now I play sektor which can leave you safe after db3 if done properly, lead to 50% dmg using kameo 2 times + 1 bar and also has a good Launcher for f43.

I might have to play Cyrax again and see how It goes.
Tbh the one thing I dislike about Sektor is that the safety from up rocket is not that strong. You’re most often interrupting punishes from the opponent rather than jailing into plus frames and even when you do get them to sit there and block I swear that rocket doesn’t actually have a lot of block stun. People always tend to mash out

Fractured_Shadow

Tbh the one thing I dislike about Sektor is that the safety from up rocket is not that strong. You’re most often interrupting punishes from the opponent rather than jailing into plus frames and even when you do get them to sit there and block I swear that rocket doesn’t actually have a lot of block stun. People always tend to mash out
Yeah, I can't get on the Sektor train. Cyrax makes Raiden a footsie and spacing nightmare. D1 ~ db3 and catching them mashing is the most beautiful thing when you realize you can convert with Cyrax kameo ~ ex df2, f22, df2. Basically, Raiden conditions people to block or die... The amount of times I've landed consecutive f4 on block would absolutely blow your mind. To be completely honest it reminds me of MK9 Cage

xRantex

Rante Inferno
I'm using Mileena atm (mixup queen)

BUT I will be back :D

I dropped Raiden way too early lol now I'm thinking of ideas with Raiden/Goro so I will give it a try soon.

Mileena is too good I don't see me dropping her unfortunately lol.

Fractured_Shadow

I'm using Mileena atm (mixup queen)

BUT I will be back :D

I dropped Raiden way too early lol now I'm thinking of ideas with Raiden/Goro so I will give it a try soon.

Mileena is too good I don't see me dropping her unfortunately lol.
Mileena is a fucking animal. She gives me absolute hell. Her safe risky setups with Sektor are bonkers. Raiden is my secondary because Baraka does everything Raiden does but just a bit better. Still love my lightning boi tho