What's new

Strategy - Quan Chi Punishing with Quan Chi, time to discuss

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Hi Guys,

I hope all the Quan community is doing well ;)
I think it’s time for us to discuss about punishing.

I have the Stunfest Saturday (big major in France) and I am starting to work on all the punishes I can do against each characters. (against specials and pressure).

Let’s share together, I propose you to update this thread regularly.

Scorpion:

(Nothing to propose for the moment ^^ But it will come and we can start the discussion)

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
I've been meaning to try it, but has anyone had any luck with 1 2 punishes? It can be cancelled into all specials, comes out quick and the second hit is a low. Thoughts?

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Hmmm I think the 1,4 is a good string to punish, it's fast.

Let's speak about scorpion, what option do you have regarding the hellfire style. Do I need to precise ? Ok:
2,1,4 fireball cancel, poke (or an other string)

I am try to find a way to escape this but it seems to be impossible. I guess we need to respect that, do we need to wait until the stamina is over ?
We can backdash, but if Scorpion read you, then it's full punish with a j1. Or he can let his fireball hit you.

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Ok I figure out how to punish the 2 cases.
The [PUNISH] is to explain when we can punish

First case :
1/ 2,1,4 fireball cancel, 2,1,4
==> 2,1,4 fireball cancel,[PUNISH] 2,1,4
You have to stay low, then you do your poke D3, it will hit, then you can start pressure B32 DB1EX...

Second case
2/ 2,1,4 fireball cancel, d3, 2,1,4 fireball cancel, 2,1,4 blablabla
Here it's difficult, a good scorpion will chose to poke after the cancel if he knows you are good.
You absolutely have to wait the poke, then counter poke (if your opponent blocks, be carefull), if you hit, go for B324

If you have a better option to punish this shit, well do not hesitate ;)

Ok I figure out how to punish the 2 cases.
The [PUNISH] is to explain when we can punish

First case :
1/ 2,1,4 fireball cancel, 2,1,4
==> 2,1,4 fireball cancel,[PUNISH] 2,1,4
You have to stay low, then you do your poke D3, it will hit, then you can start pressure B32 DB1EX...

Second case
2/ 2,1,4 fireball cancel, d3, 2,1,4 fireball cancel, 2,1,4 blablabla
Here it's difficult, a good scorpion will chose to poke after the cancel if he knows you are good.
You absolutely have to wait the poke, then counter poke (if your opponent blocks, be carefull), if you hit, go for B324

If you have a better option to punish this shit, well do not hesitate ;)
This isn't a punish, it is poking and counter poking.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
For fast punishment 12xxtrance is what I've been using. I do punish blocked teleports with b324 tho.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Like everyone said, 1,4. Summoner can 1,4,1 then summon a bat, and sorcerer/warlock can 1,4xxEX Rune into combo. Warlock can F3 a lot of stuff as long as it's not right on top of you. I haven't had a chance to play a patched version of the game (PC) but I'm hoping portal scoop could be a viable alternative to EX Rune into run cancel.

Edit: Sorcerer can get out an armor circle and let scorpion's teleport hit you directly into punish.

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
Your b2 is really good at whiff punishing shit since that range is hella deceptive.
It comes out fast enough to catch people, most of the problems personally is I am undecided on a solid fast punish for whiffs/unsafe blocks to use. D3 seems to be good to stagger but I think the 1, 2 would be good if they have good recovery because at least you have a chance on the low coming out. That string catches a lot of people.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Your b2 is really good at whiff punishing shit since that range is hella deceptive.
It comes out fast enough to catch people, most of the problems personally is I am undecided on a solid fast punish for whiffs/unsafe blocks to use. D3 seems to be good to stagger but I think the 1, 2 would be good if they have good recovery because at least you have a chance on the low coming out. That string catches a lot of people.
b2 is best for when you're sitting at the range where your b2 will hit but the opponent will either have to run, jump or use and advancing normal to build an offence. I think Pan1cmode came here to say this after he saw me utilising it all weekend ;)

So I doing good on koth until I played a mileena who kept ending her combos on Tele kick. It was safe when I tried to punish which b2. And all my other starters seemed to be out of reach. What do I do to punish?

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
some moves like subzero's slide or erron black's slide are punishable with b324 sometimes, while some other times the dude is just out of range. is it just me? and if not, you guys have a more consistent solution? the 1 whiffs when the enemy hitbox is low, like after a slide.

some moves like subzero's slide or erron black's slide are punishable with b324 sometimes, while some other times the dude is just out of range. is it just me? and if not, you guys have a more consistent solution? the 1 whiffs when the enemy hitbox is low, like after a slide.
I tend to cancel d3 (or d4 if the character lands out of d3's reach, such as Mileena after a blocked teleport) into an ex rune, then follow up with b2, trance. d3 comes out fast, has better range than b3 and catches those pesky crawlers. Downside is the need for a meter burn though. Which I'm constantly starved of as warlock.

I've generally been using 141 to punish most things. Things like unsafe teleports and stuff i do 14 trance. There are better punishes but im all about consistency lol
i think this is the way to go punishing moves at close range, especially if you can hit confirm 14 into trance. And use B2 for ranged whiff punishing.