What's new

Question Pros and Cons of your character in this current meta

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I want to know what the pros and cons are of your characters currently, to know how are they getting benefits or struggling in this current meta, just some quick dibs of things you can notice right away deal? I start.

Hat Trick
Pros
- Better juggle consistency on every possible conversion making his drop factor incredibly reduced
- better damage due some new normals that weren't usable before
- 7f punishing normal now helps Lao in general punish anything that was a struggle to punish with s1 or f2 including trip guard punishes.
- Ex Teleport is pretty fast to react to some projectiles, even if he can't punish some on reaction with hammer punch, he can still ex TP grab those safe projectiles.
- stamina nerf and anti-air nerf and better juggle consistency gave him a sort of zoning with hat traps helping slowing down the game to his favor a little bit
- Can do good damage without any use of stamina, giving him the breaker edge he had lost back when ppl break against him, specially while using dive kick starters now, or B22 starters in general
- Spin is one of the greatest anti-airs specials currently

Cons
- Pressure game is the same, up close is still a big problem settting traps or using other options after call backs since is still -9 to -6 and -7 on blocked call backs.
- s1 float nerf now hurts hat trick cross ups conversion forcing him to guess on crossup to convert fully rather than react
- backdash is a big problem, doesn't cover much range, so it doesn't avoid anything other than gaps, huge recovery
- walkspeed backwards or forward is pretty bad forcing Lao to jump most of the time
- Can't wakeup at all, severely hurted by the armored launchers universal nerfs
- 2 hits of armor buffs nerfed all his armor breaking setups

Ninjutsu
Pros
- Jump Attacks nerfs buffed standing 3, currently one of the best anti airs normals in the game 7f that can stuff even jump kicks now matter how stupid, moves his hurtbox away while using it.
- Universal armor nerfs has put everyone on the same play field as scorpion
- Stamina nerf doesn't affect Ninjutsu at all, but affect all other characters that could get in easier, making Ninjutsu a harder variation to approach in general, by floor or air.

Cons
Lost armor breaks setups against almost anyone

Reserved for Tanya DN
Pros

Cons

Reserved for Tanya Pyro.
Pros

Cons

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Thunder God Raiden

Pros

• Has an excellent 8-frame mid that can be confirmed into ~28% meterless.
  • 44 can now be used mid combo in the corner for increased damage.
  • EX-db2 is one of the best armored moves in the game.
  • F1 is a great anti-air post patch and can be converted into decent damage and corner carry.
  • One of the few characters that has a good way to armor break in the corner (B32).
  • Has perhaps the best meter building in the game.
  • Excellent at trip guarding with F12B2 and 214.
  • Is a variation of the coolest character in the game.
  • Has EX-DB1, DB1 traps that can be used as anti-airs midscreen and as an 'ice clone' in the corner.
Cons
  • Offense midscreen is limited to mediocre staggers and unsafe 50/50s (though the low option can be made -8 with pushback at the cost of a lot of damage).
  • Has a lot of recovery frames on most of his strings, making him easy to whiff punish.
  • Neutral game took a big hit with the nerfs to run cancels.
  • Only worth-while cancels are +4 (off of 11) and +2 (off of B11 and F24) on block.
  • Has extremely poor zoning with his 25-frame DB1 that also recovers fairly slowly.
  • Poor backdash.
  • Reliant on stamina for most combos.

haketh

Noob
Mystic Ermac

Pros
  • Extremely strong armor in a variety of situations
  • Very threatening screen control with push, B+12, F+34
  • Good mixup that I can either play it safe with or go for the full juice
  • Extremely good AA option in D4
  • Solid stagger options
  • Solid damage
  • Solid anti zoning option in EX Push & Teleport
Cons
  • Like none lol really

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Sub Zero

Generally, he's the same Sub Zero, but with some nerf and some buff. I speak only as the Grandmaster, so I don't know about the pros and cons on the other variations much well. I'll leave the ball to the other mains, who use exclusively the Cryomancer and the Unbreakable Sub Zeroes.

Pros
- All type of 1 attacks (JI1, F1, S1, D1), except of B1, are 7f start-up, which makes it a fast poke. These ones do improve a lot the small damage percentage kombos, except of the Shatter ones. Why? That's because it hasn't improve itself on D1 poking, and then doing the B12xxIK. On the Shatter kombos, the Ice Klone doesn't work at all, like the small kombos do after the four D1s. Note that the additional 1s do improve the damage percentage to 2%.
- Since the patch, a lot of the characters have some issues being hit with their X-Rays. You can poke your character to cancel your opponent's X-Ray. This one is the advantage for Sub Zero's X-Ray, which is a good shit to add in for pressure games. You do X-Ray and wait till you see your opponent gets frozen or blocks. If blocked, I do the RC to grab him or let it go and do the pressuring strings (kind of troilling). The armor no longer exists on X-Ray, too.

Cons
- Since the Stamina nerf, Sub Zero no longer can run like in pre-patch to catch off guard his opponents. The run has been decreased to the half of the area than he used to be. Thanks to this, I use the run only in combos, and not in the zoning games. If my opponent get zone frozen, I'll have to use the double dash forward to reach my opponent before doing the meterless center kombo, or just add one dash forward and one JIP.
- Since the meta-patch, for some weird reason the JI2 got nerfed and doesn't connect sometimes on the opponents. Same goes for the NJP, which sometimes doesn't connect on the air frozen chars.
- Since the meta-patch, the armor on all the attacks, including the wake-up attacks, except of Icy Slide, no longer exist. That means that the Frost Bomb is no longer threatening and can't get any character off me at the corner. Used to have used this to get my characters off me, and then simply do the Cold Blooded (F42T) to get anybody at my place, meaning cornered. I use this only at the combos, and rarely as AA, if IK is ON.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
A list:

Pros:
Armour isnt as threatening
D2 more reliable antiair.

Cons:
Plus frames require perfect execution and lead to very little
Pseudo mixups from 12rc and 113/11(f2)less threatening as 12 rc has more block stun so is more reactable.
Wakeup game is pretty weak with no ex np
Ex np and flipkick worked as his most reliable antiairs and no longer have armour
Lost ability to armour break most of the cast
Stamina nerfs hit him really hard for a number of reasons;
His pressure is effectively halved
Footsies hit hard as his f3 has a lot less utility unless you're on full stamina.
If someone armours out of a RC you cannot breaker at all and have to eat dick.
Stamina nerfs didnt help his zoning at all like with other characters as characters who he could zone have to duck/walk and jump to get in anyway.
Struggles against certain zoners more now.