What's new

General/Other - Kung Lao Project De-Noob

A few questions!
Do some characters have more health then others? Goro for example seems like a right tough bastard but not sure if its in my head or not.

Still a tad confused with wake ups - I'm not sure at what point during the falling animation I should but inputting the buttons for a wake up.

NapalmCL

Professional training dummy
A few questions!
Do some characters have more health then others? Goro for example seems like a right tough bastard but not sure if its in my head or not.

Still a tad confused with wake ups - I'm not sure at what point during the falling animation I should but inputting the buttons for a wake up.
I like this thread, if I'm wrong someone will be more likely to point it out.

1) I don't think anyone has any more / less health than others. People would probably be noting that in combo damage if it were the case (Example: 20% or 15% on Goro/Ferra)

2) At the point your character is on the ground and before they would get up naturally. You have to put in the input with confidence in that one second, if you were hold down for instance you might delay your get up and then can't wake up attack. I suggest going into training and having the dummy knock you down they practice waking up with ex spin until you get it right with both sides. Be patient with it.

I've started to watch a few of the ESL matches, pretty addictive to be honest, but I often here the voice over talk about command throws. I've got no idea what a command throw is :( Any ideas?

I've got no idea what a command throw is :( Any ideas?
It's a special move that requires inputs instead of just the throw button, but still counts as a throw (can't block it) i.e. kotal kahn's sun god choke (db2) or goro's shokan grab (dbf3), etc.

For wakeups, I tend to time mine the moment my character is out of falling animation and lying still on the ground :)

One thing I think I'm doing is doing the wake up to early. The game then sees that as me pressing down to lay on the floor. Gotta practice that a tad more.

I've started to win a few more matches of late though but I feel like I'm now doing the same moves, combos a lot and want to branch out more.

The usual is along the lines of 11, df1, nj2, fj4, d4, 21... From there try db2, tele2, b321, spin.... Don't often pull it all off.

I've noticed some great run combos but they seem a massive pain to do and not had any luck in the lab doing any. Royal pain in the butt.

Lastly, what Normals should be my go to Normals? What should my general game plan be??

I really need to get some more recordings sorted. Hope the next batch will be far more positive.

Ahhg I'm so ready to throw my control pad out the window today - might to the delight of the misses!

I'm loosing so many close games now because I'm so inconsistent in pulling off the EX-Spin. Maybe its happening 3/10 times and its getting to the stage where I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong. Why could it be that its not working? Is it not as simple as just slamming DF1+EX? Am i ment to be holding it down or something and I just dont know about it??!

If this was working when I want I'd be winning a bunch more matches :(

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
All you have to do is press DB1+BLK and it should come out. Hit practice and try and get 10 EX spins in a row, then once you can get that you can start winning more :)

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Are u on psn? If so let me know.

I don't know much about kung lao but I know quite a bit about fighting games and how they play.

After reviewing your videos it seems your problem is (and don't get offended by this)... There's too much you know/think you know and your having a hard time processing and executing it. Find players on your same skill level and strive to be better than them.

You can know all the frame data and punishes in the world but if your not comfortable with executing them it doesn't matter.

It's hard as a beginner and we've all been there, I think it just takes that step in understanding what you need to be doing vs what you want to be doing that makes all the difference.

Like I said, I'm more than happy to help you out and guide you along the way.

Whats your location - quite happy to jump on for a few match ups if your Europe :) Obv is a bit lag fest otherwise and that control pad will be shooting through the window!!! And never going to improve if people are nice, Id rather you tell me I'm shit and what im doing wrong :)

What your saying is in part what has created the big spike in frustration. Start off and I got no idea whats going on, in terms of moves or how the game works. With that in mind I always kinda forgave my self for loosing and most of the time I didnt know if I was doing things right / wrong. Now I know enough about the game to have some tactics and know in general what I want to do but my execution of what is in my head keeps failing. Seeing an opening, hitting the button for a spin for example and nothing happening and esp at a crucial moment drives me frigging mad! No dout its user error but shit its annoying!

It's like there is this final hurdle to get over before the fun really does start!

In terms of practice too, I just in the training and I'll hit the EX-Spin 9/10 times but once I'm online in a match it falls flat on its face. Is that more down to lag or just me getting to excited and spamming buttons.

boy9-1

Noob
KUNG LAO'S STILL GOT IT. ALL THESE COMBOS ARE EITHER NO METER OR JUST 1 METER. EXCLUDE THE LAST ONE . AND THIS IS AFTER HIS DAMAGE SCALE PATCH

Another quick progress video - I've defo started to feel a bit better on the defensive front in recent days. I had some pretty epic match ups with one dude and was really looking forward to sharing but it seems I didnt save the recording.

Edit: Seems I recorded a little bit.... same I didnt get a bit more but the first match in the video below was really good fun. Played the dude for around an hour or so and its easy been the most fun ive had on mkx so far.