What's new

Problems agains Reptile

Dr_Bufa

Noob
Hello there, I'm looking for some advice to fight against Reptile from you guys. Actually I faced a very simple but solid enough (against me) tactic that is driving me crazy. Reptile goes far and start firing fireballs and acid splits, I get close avoiding projectiles / ENH Shadow Kick, and any attempt to attack is being frustrated with Elbow Dash, not combos at all from Reptile.
After any blocked string, this guys with good reaction use the elbow dash over and over again until I die. :(

Any advice?

davidovitch

In Europe!
Don't play online.

Seriously, Reptiles elbow dash is sometimes pretty much impossible to punish when playing online. If your connection is really good you can try to block the dash and then grab Reptile or start a quick combo - it has to be quick!

sLeeK

Noob
you can punish reptiles dash with the F3, 2 xx nutpunch . I main reptile if you want to throw me a friend request

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
To be completly honest. Reptile is one of the worst match ups for Johnny Cage. My best stragety is to save meter for your EX shadow kick to go thru his zoning while still pushing him to the corner. If you can get Reptile in a corner Johnny Cage can do some serious damage. However, if you let this fight stay mid-screen Reptile just presents to many match-up problems. GET REPTILE IN THE CORNER!!!

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I'm sick of this too. Online reptile vs. Johnny Cage is nearly unbeatable....the thing I hate the most is his stupid hitbox: why the hell does EX fireball goes through his head?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Good luck! It's a 7-3 in Reptile's favor. We had F32 nut punch to punish dash, but that's gone now!

edit: yes there's alternatives, I'm just intentionally being a dumbass! The zoning, elbow dash stuffing traps, Reptile's weird hit box being immune to JC's EX FB are the real issues! :p It's still a horrible matchup lol

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Good luck! It's a 7-3 in Reptile's favor. We had F32 nut punch to punish dash, but that's gone now!
I think the problem is not punishing his dash...F3,3xxnutpunch - 11xxnutpunch - 13xxnutpunch - b3 are just a few examples

Doesn't f+33 do around the same damage as f+32? There's also b+3, which is doable if you read the dash.

The zoning is definitely the problem here.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
2 is the same speed as f3, and even if 2 doesn't reach, f33 xx nutpunch works, especially with the longer recovery.

Lern yo frame data son!

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
I'm pretty much at the point now where I think JC gets nothing to stop Reptile. Elbow stops pressure and wonky hit boxes thwart force ball traps. If NRS fixes Reptile and Ermacs hit boxes things will be good.

Fenro

Nordic myth
This match up is indeed against johnny in many ways.

1. Reptile has a great zoning game so your having an annoying time getting in there with out burning some metter
2. Reptiles hit boxes give no possibility for F3, 3xxENForceball pressure

as for online.....

Reptiles Elbowdash is nigh impossible to punish on reaction and any reptile that only spams the dash is just another lagsetup abusing crappy player. if you happen to catch the block and have godly reaction use B3, dash 2, dash 2, dash 2, dash 44xxnutpunch

a well timed nut punch can counter reptile's dash i do it all the time on-line, and JC's projectile can be traded with reptile you both receive damage but he can't juggle you 90% of the time.
i think JC can hold his own against reptile with some patience ,but it is a bad match up cus you can't rush blindly against him.

leek

Noob
a well timed nut punch can counter reptile's dash i do it all the time on-line, and JC's projectile can be traded with reptile you both receive damage but he can't juggle you 90% of the time.
i think JC can hold his own against reptile with some patience ,but it is a bad match up cus you can't rush blindly against him.
shit that's a good idea with nut punch on dash. I think I'm going to try this out sometime. thanks man

Meshell

Peg Leg
Whenever I play against reptile I find baiting out the dash and punishing it is the easiest way to go about it.D1,1,f3 pokes will usually catch him even online. Ex-SK will get you a hit but unless it stuffs him in the corner you'll be back to getting zoned. Punishing reptile with a throw kinda sucks for that same reason. If reptile tries to projectile spam your wake up, SK invincible frames will take you through it, just make sure to time it so that you'll kick him during the projectile animation or far enough away from reptile before he can react. Just play it slow and let him come to you with the dash which 99% of all online reptiles do 99% 0f the time. If he wises up to it and starts to only use projectiles check him with a red kick so he'll go back to dashing. Hope this helps!