What's new

Question practice questions

Hey guys been browsing this site for a while and I gotta say this is the real deal when it comes to a community site. Very well put together and organized.

anyway back to the point, I love sub zero as a character from Mk1 and I would love to be able to really use him well, however I do not know the best way to practice. I go into practice and practice strings, combos etc but that doesnt teach me when to use things or how to adapt. So my question is what would be the best way to practice the things i have been practicing (if that makes sense lol).

ty in advance

1) Learn all his strings, bnb's and hardest hitting combos. CPU on auto block. Repeat, Repeat, Repeat!

2) Set the dummy to wake up move, all block and stand. Sweep the character and learn a bit about reacting to what comes out. The computer will block whatever you can't punish. This is the beginning of learning a bit about your opponents options and what they are not safe using.

3) practice against a moving target that fights back (dummy practice is easy after a short while, but doing it when it needs to count is a different game all together!) - CPU on Expert, normal meter and reset (back button) the minute a character gets to 0 health. This way you get a better idea of doing stuff, while you are getting things thrown at you. Reseting after a 0 health situation is a way of instilling in you that you need to do better if you reach that point before the CPU and a reward if you win the round - it's no good just continuing and cycling through the health bars with no consequence imo. Yes the CPU does some dumb stuff, but particularly on reacting to moves and punishing, this is good practice.

4) play human opponents, learn from your mistakes and also read about other characters and how they view the match from their side to work out strategy, approach, spacing...etc. Also read the guides for other characters and practice a little some of their strings and combos so you can understand what they look like and what you can and can't do anything about.

People may disagree with some of these points, but I've personally improved no end with these as the basic elements of my practice.