What's new

Strategy Power Chain

So What Do You Think?

• Yeah Sure, That Could Be Good Stuff.

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • No Gruff, Sit Your Ass Down Somewhere!

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Gruff757

The Gruff
Alright, so we all talk about Health Chain and Defense Chain because they are pretty much Grundy's most useful Chains.

Let's talk about the Step Child, The Power Chain.

So before infamous Chain Grab patch, most of us probably couldn't be bothered to use the Power Chain, simply because the other two were much better options. This is understandable because this was also the case for me unless I wanted to style on the opponent who had just enough life to have to get killed while hearing the poem.

Post patch, I am thinking Power Chain has a MUCH bigger role to play in a Grundy player's strategy.

Yes, yes, I know you've all seen the video and are probably sick of it by now, but hear me out.

I believe that the Power Chain soars to Grundy's most viable Chain Option in the Late Game. Meaning that when the opponent's Life Bar is on the red, the Power Chain is the most useful because the opponent CANNOT clash until the very end of it, unless you cancel it after the first Power Chain.

The bulk of the Power Chain mainly comes from the parts before the final Power Chain which is pretty decent free unclashable damage.

The really juicy part comes from using the EX Grave Rot prior to the Power Chain, which is unblockable and unclashable extra damage that does 2% for 9 seconds. Because of the animation of the Power Chain, the Grave Rot is at it's deadliest which causes your opponent to lose much more life waiting for that clash at the end.

TL;DR use Power Chain in Late Game situations while also using Grave Rot

Thoughts?

I think its more useful than some of the stuff we come up with around here. Pretty much only time I use power is for the unclashable damage grundy just does so much damage already power chain seems like its not important. 5 touches including getting clashed should get you a win more often than not with grundy. power won't drop that to 4 times consistently enough to bother.

If you're already in the habit of throwing the bar around. You can take advantage of the ech we discussed in the Knockdown Throw Traps thread to make use of Power Chain and Ex Rot on an opponent you just picked off with a MB'd Walking Corpse.

Gruff757

The Gruff
If you're already in the habit of throwing the bar around. You can take advantage of the ech we discussed in the Knockdown Throw Traps thread to make use of Power Chain and Ex Rot on an opponent you just picked off with a MB'd Walking Corpse.
true

I remember you telling me this in BnB forum - I was gladly surprised. Back then I have noticed that some resets do more damage with Ex GR and Power Chain in the end than the Health Chain in the end. It depends on how long the Ex GR is active during the Chain. When the Ex GR does maximum hits, the Power Chain does 2 % more than the Health Chain.But for power chain bringing so much unclashable damage is really big!!!! This is very useful!!!

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
I like using Damage a lot, but its mostly because of the position it puts the opponent in after the grab. It setups nicely for lots of things. But 1truking is right, the actual damage buff doesn't really fit into Grundy's game, just because he does a lot of damage anyway. And it still takes 3 combos to take a lifebar.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I don't ever use the health chain unless I know it'll kill.

Most of my very first hits are Power Chain. Most of my hits come from WC .... and the damage buff is significant on that move. Maybe not so much in the combo area... but his specials get a nice lift... especially a raw WC and even the MB WC and its endless KD.

And of course... on the flip side.... if i'm facing a heavy projectile esque ... I use the defense.

Defense and Power have too many +'s about them regarding either Oki (Power) or buff (defense).

I've always felt the Power Chain was his best chain anyway. That is just me though i'm sure.

Gruff757

The Gruff
I like using Damage a lot, but its mostly because of the position it puts the opponent in after the grab. It setups nicely for lots of things. But 1truking is right, the actual damage buff doesn't really fit into Grundy's game, just because he does a lot of damage anyway. And it still takes 3 combos to take a lifebar.
it isnt about the buff though lol

this is mainly about pushing the opponent's health bar as out of reach as possible, and like you and CMurphy said, Power Chain is great for oki and possiblilities

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
it isnt about the buff though lol
Dont worry I understand. But I'm not sure if getting that extra 5% before they clash is worth having to get rid of the health or defense buff. I guess if you just did GR or EX GR then it might be worth it though, but that's sometimes hard to come by.

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
Power chain never was useless, if you have it loaded you get extra chip damage and your combos will be full max damage if ended in power chain

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Gruff757

The Gruff
Power chain never was useless, if you have it loaded you get extra chip damage and your combos will be full max damage if ended in power chain

oh i know, its just not usually what everyone turns to in discussion, lol.

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
You gotta use all his chains according to your situation, can't just stick with one, each match and matchup will always be different

But health chain done early can give you roughly 40% extra health which can be massive in a lot of fights. Extra chip and extra damage seems way more situational. I've experiemented a lot and in general defense and health are the most useful.

Speaking of that has anybody ever noticed the damage is reversed in the menu's for defense and health? Defense chain is actually listed as doing 31% and health is 21%. Although it may have changed i haven't looked at it in awhile.

But health chain done early can give you roughly 40% extra health which can be massive in a lot of fights. Extra chip and extra damage seems way more situational. I've experiemented a lot and in general defense and health are the most useful.

Speaking of that has anybody ever noticed the damage is reversed in the menu's for defense and health? Defense chain is actually listed as doing 31% and health is 21%. Although it may have changed i haven't looked at it in awhile.
Yeah! It is still reversed)

Dont worry I understand. But I'm not sure if getting that extra 5% before they clash is worth having to get rid of the health or defense buff. I guess if you just did GR or EX GR then it might be worth it though, but that's sometimes hard to come by.

I've had very good success using power chain as a near unclashable finisher. Since they cannot clash until the last hit, MB WC into GR/MB GR + Power Chain on the wakeup trap is enough to generate 44-48% of closing power. Granted, you've still got to win the wakeup battle but since raw trait on their wakeup still has a strong chance to beat/stuff a wakeup you're pretty good to go as long as you make the right read. If you expect that they know the trap is coming and are going for an evasive wakeup option then you can go for a meaty setup with the same GR buff on and finish them that way.

I've had very good success using power chain as a near unclashable finisher. Since they cannot clash until the last hit, MB WC into GR/MB GR + Power Chain on the wakeup trap is enough to generate 44-48% of closing power. Granted, you've still got to win the wakeup battle but since raw trait on their wakeup still has a strong chance to beat/stuff a wakeup you're pretty good to go as long as you make the right read. If you expect that they know the trap is coming and are going for an evasive wakeup option then you can go for a meaty setup with the same GR buff on and finish them that way.
Eh that doesn't really work though. If you're using the mb gr setup your goal is to kill them before they can clash. If you're landing a meaty they'll be able to clash out of it anyway defeating the purpose and forcing you to use an additional bar for the grave rot. if you play an opponent who is aware of the unclashable damage they're almost guaranteed to go for a wakeup attack to beat the trait and if they guess wrong they get to clash anyway.

Eh that doesn't really work though. If you're using the mb gr setup your goal is to kill them before they can clash. If you're landing a meaty they'll be able to clash out of it anyway defeating the purpose and forcing you to use an additional bar for the grave rot. if you play an opponent who is aware of the unclashable damage they're almost guaranteed to go for a wakeup attack to beat the trait and if they guess wrong they get to clash anyway.
That depends on their wakeup options. Many of the possible choices that are capable of beating the raw trait setup are also horribly unsafe on whiff. This opens them up to just eating the raw grab or a D2+trait frametrap. As always, its a reading game and never totally airtight, but I kinda prefer it that way.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
How much of a percentage does the health chain drop combo damage dealt?

Clearly it is a "to each his own" when it comes to using which buff and trait.

I'm never going to say one is better than the other. I always JUST use health chain against KF, Batgirl, Hawkgirl, Ares.... all the low damage characters that don't really pose a threat with projectiles.

I just love seeing how much more damage a raw WC can net with the power trait.... that shit is unclashable and if there is an interactable within a mile.... thats free damage.

Another question. does b1~MB GraveRot then Trait combo?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
No but b1 ex gr into 1 combo, d2 as well

thanks man

I was just thinking of round ender setups that seem odd but woudl work

one being b1~ex GR then Trait throw power chain. I wonder how many frames there are in between ... hopefully just 1 or 2.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
I'm not sure how well known this is, but Doing just the first part of the power chain puts the opponent on the opposite side. So if you're in the corner, and you do just 4 fb4, you'll put him in the corner. And it's the only of the 7 parts to do that, so it comes in handy if they don't get airborne for a To the Grave.

But I still do a lot of Power chain, Mainly because I it looks so cool, and it's a badass Kneeling Piledriver. I'd love a Texas Piledriver more, but it'll do