What's new

Play some old games, free! - GGPO and Supercade

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
So this is something that really seems to have very little penetration on this site despite its potential interest to the FGC as a whole and perhaps some younger members who never got a chance to check this stuff out the first go around.

GGPO and Supercade are both netplay clients which work on any Windows PC and allow you to play a vast array of older games, primarily Capcom or SNK/Neo-Geo fare. There's a lot of stuff available to pick from, but the largest swath is fighting games, and there's a lot of darn good ones from throughout the 90s and early 00s available to check out and enjoy. Were you ever curious about King of Fighters XIII? Check out 98 and 2002 and see if it's a series you like! Wondered where Street Fighter started? Super Turbo is there! Want something a little bit off the wall? How about KARNOV'S REVENGE?! Wherever you go, they have broad support for a lot of great (or at least entertaining) games which are entirely worth throwing some time into if you enjoy fighters.

You might be asking why you'd want to waste your time playing this stuff on some relatively small netplay client, but the truth is, GGPO has possibly the best netcode ever written for two-player games. At its best it's nearly indistinguishable from offline play, and even at its worst it's still pretty darn good. Supercade runs using the same concept of netplay but not quite as finely tuned. It has more games available and supported "out of the box," however, and some people run into fewer technical issues trying to use the service than GGPO. Both are great to check out.

Some of my favorite fighters ever are available on these services, and if you happen to be interested in checking them out, you can always ask me anything you want to know. I have a passing to an intimate familiarity with most all of the games on it, and can tell you what I know or happily play some matches with you.

Finally, the relevant links so you can start playing if you're interested:
http://ggpo.net/
http://damdai.com/supercade/

Note that you will, of course, have to obtain the games if you want to play. This isn't a hard process, but for most users I can't get into the specifics of how one might hypothetically get copies here. You can always feel free to contact me privately!

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
None of y'all ready to see me in Breakers, Karnov's, VSAV, or VHunt
I play a pretty mean Sho! I'm free as shit in the others though. Just play a bad Mizoguchi, Zazie and Ray in Karnov. Used to have a really solid Felicia in Vampire, but she straight up hurt my hands to play.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Im down.

The most fun I have at FG tourneys is playing on the arcade cabinets lol

Edit: What are some good games on Supercade?

Edit 2: Nvm, Netbook strikes again

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Also, some footage of some of the lesser known games available, for shits and giggles:
Breakers:

Karnov's Revenge:

World Heroes Perfect:

Sadly, no tournament footage exists of one of my absolute personal favorites - Saturday Night Slam Masters 2: Ring of Destruction.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I really wish those guys (emulator people) would put the effort forth to get MK1/2/3/U in there, but they won't. We tried talking to them ;_;
Yeah, it's unfortunate, but it's a pretty big technical hoop to jump through. There's more stuff they could support beyond those that's pretty interesting - Daraku Tenshi or Killer Instinct also ran on hardware that might be worth throwing support in because of those games. Plus all of the early renditions of 3D games, too - I wish I could play SFEX2+ with GGPO's superlative netcode.

Anyways, like I said, my own AIM/Skype/otherwise are available on my profile, and people can always send me a PM. Drop me a line if there's something you want to play! haketh Zoidberg747 and anyone else!

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Im down.

The most fun I have at FG tourneys is playing on the arcade cabinets lol

Edit: What are some good games on Supercade?

Edit 2: Nvm, Netbook strikes again
Hah. Too weak of a machine? It's not very demanding; most of these games ran full speed on a current machine from a decade back.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Any idea how to forward the ports necessary for GGPO?

Never mess with those usually
It depends on your router setup, typically it's not hard. If you're in an apartment complex or something, things can get complicated - I know not everybody has the options available.

Zoidberg747

It depends on your router setup, typically it's not hard. If you're in an apartment complex or something, things can get complicated - I know not everybody has the options available.
I probably wont mess with it till this weekend.

Will hit you up if I get it working though.

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
Omg, good times. Used to have a solid Capt Kidd in World Heroes and Victor in Vampire Savior.
Really good arcade times.

Zoidberg747

So if I dont have my ports open, but someone on here does, can we still play?

If so anyone can feel free to challenge me in anything, although I will most likely be free at it.

If not I can still entertain myself by playing windjammers for hours lol

haketh

Noob
So if I dont have my ports open, but someone on here does, can we still play?

If so anyone can feel free to challenge me in anything, although I will most likely be free at it.

If not I can still entertain myself by playing windjammers for hours lol
You can but theirs a good cahcne you can desync with most games.