What's new

Question - Ferra/Torr "OS", 4xxSpecial and best punishes?

I've seen the abbreviation OS used in the F/T threads and haven't figured out what it means. And also a lot of the Ferra kombos I've seen suggested involve F2,4 xxBF4. I take that to mean I need to toss the guy with the F2, then connect with a straight 4 and then cancel into the BF4. I can't seem to go from the 4 to the BF4, it's like Torr is taking too long to recover. Thanks guys.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
OS is an option select, which means you're doing something that will lead to two different results, usually a combo or launcher on hit that would otherwise be unsafe, and if the opponent blocks then you'll end up doing something else to keep yourself from getting punished

I don't think that should be occurring; perhaps you're doing the 4 too soon or too late?

Audit

Falls down too much
OS means Option Select. As far as cancelling 4 into BF2, Try slowing down a little, and make sure it's clean.

I'm getting pretty decent at reading other lower level players and their patterns of attack. I'm starting to reliably block slides, teleports and things but I always panic and generically punish with a flurry of 111's. Sometimes when I'm not blowing it I manage to hit 11xxBF4 or something minor. I know I'd win more matches if I could really crush people on the punish end. I need to make up the ground I lose eating quicker uppercuts and such.

Are there specific combos or other tech people can recommend. I'm playing in Vicious but wouldn't mind learning the other two if need be. Thanks guys.

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
As far as punishes go Ruthless and Vicious aren't that good. You won't get any good damage unless it's more than -15.

Going off the top of my head, you're best punishes are...

8 frame: 2xxBF4.
10 frame : B121xxBF4
11 frame: 4xxBF4
15 frame: F2.....( full combo )

Lackey easily has the best punishes simply because you can cancel these strings into MB db2 for full combo.

Hopefully that helps.

Thank you greatly. It was very helpful. If I'm understanding FGs correctly my "best" options are the first two you've given because they are the quickest? I'll look into Lackey, but I typically hate/don't do well with characters with no projectiles...

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Thank you greatly. It was very helpful. If I'm understanding FGs correctly my "best" options are the first two you've given because they are the quickest? I'll look into Lackey, but I typically hate/don't do well with characters with no projectiles...
Not necessarily "best", but they are the most consistent. Your best ones come based on the opponent you're fighting.

I was thinking that as I read it. Seems like matchups are more important in Fighters than they were the last time I picked one up... in an arcade in the 90s lol.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Don't be afraid to mix in some frame trap punishes. Torr's hits are surprisingly + when you land them, and its easy to mix them in to make a minor punish like d.1, 2, or b.121 into potentially full combo options.
You trade off some damage but you could get a lot of momentum and a big reward for it.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Also if you didn't know, his 11 string is +21 on hit, so if you land that as a punish they have to hold your next 50/50

So as a punish you can do 11 into a raw f.2 f.3 4xxb.f.4 for 32% in vicious or f.2 f.3 4xxd.b.f3 for 28% in ruthless

Last edited:

Parnak

Fight me as you will yet you can never hope to win
All these mentioned by the council are the go to suggestions for punishing, the best imo is the 1, 1 into 50/50 mix-up because they can do nothing but guess. Even if they block, you stay close to harass them some more. And if it catches them it's full combo time.

For Lackey, I would also consider 1, 1xxTorr Charge. Damage surpassed only by Boss Toss for this type of punish, the option to easily and surely increase that for an unscaled +8 more damage by enhancing Torr Charge (great option if you got one bar and it can finish them off) but most importantly, connecting Torr Charge can give you looping pressure and 50/50 options. 'Tis what I 've dubbed "Torrvex". And of course, this can be done from EX Torryuken punish too (an example is to follow EX Torryuken with F2~4xxB, F3)

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
All these mentioned by the council are the go to suggestions for punishing, the best imo is the 1, 1 into 50/50 mix-up because the can do nothing but guess. Even if they block, you stay close to harass them some more. And if it catches them it's full combo time.

For Lackey, I would also consider 1, 1xxTorr Charge. Damage surpassed only by Boss Toss for this type of punish, the option to easily and surely increase that for an unscaled +8 more damage by enhancing Torr Charge (great option if you got one bar and it can finish them off) but most importantly, connecting Torr Charge can give you looping pressure and 50/50 options. 'Tis what I 've dubbed "Torrvex". And of course, this can be done from Torryuken punish too (an example is to follow Torryuken with F2~4xxB, F3)
Shameless self-plug aside, why would you do 11xxtorr charge in lackey when you can do 11xx torryuken for the same damage but with corner carry, and an actual full combo when meterburned?
I specifically avoided mentioning Lackey because he doesn't play that variation, but there are better options that 11xxcharge.

MK Led

Umbasa
Shameless self-plug aside, why would you do 11xxtorr charge in lackey when you can do 11xx torryuken for the same damage but with corner carry, and an actual full combo when meterburned?
I specifically avoided mentioning Lackey because he doesn't play that variation, but there are better options that 11xxcharge.
Pretty much. The only reason I ever do 11xxTC is for the brutality, hehe. :p

Parnak

..For a few reasons. For one, if you 're trying to punish something like Sub Zero's overhead, it is always likely that you fail to punish, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Torryuken's unsafe, it leaves no distance between your opponent at -10. It's not worth it, having to worry about block confirming a failed punish to try and switch to another safer special.

Also, Torrvex set-up offers more than a mere corner carry. Just make one step towards them and Jip for free combo mix-up. Except if they got meter, but even then, you see they got meter, you can just overrun them and either try F2 or wait to punish some (messed up or not) armored wake-up. Taking away their roll too, more options for you, less for them, B, F3 is always worth it. 4xxTorr Charge too if 11 frames are enough.
I mentioned Lackey punish because it was the only punish left to mention when I read the thread.. Was thinking about 1, 1 into mix-up when I saw you got that covered, good call

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
..For a few reasons. For one, if you 're trying to punish something like Sub Zero's overhead, it is always likely that you fail to punish, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Torryuken's unsafe, it leaves no distance between your opponent at -10. It's not worth it, having to worry about block confirming a failed punish to try and switch to another safer special.

Also, Torrvex set-up offers more than a mere corner carry. Just make one step towards them and Jip for free combo mix-up. Except if they got meter, but even then, you see they got meter, you can just overrun them and either try F2 or wait to punish some messed up or not armored wake-up. Taking away their roll too, more options for you, less for them, B, F3 is always worth it. 4xxTorr Charge too if 11 frames are enough.
I mentioned Lackey punish because it was the only punish left to mention when I read the thread.. Was thinking about 1, 1 into mix-up when I saw you got that covered, good call
Charge is also unsafe and full combo punishable, so its not any better. However I wouldn't be trying to punish his overhead anyways because I'd likely be in vicious variation, not lackey.

Corner carry is usually more valuable than a mid-screen gimmick. Also spending that much stamina will leave you open since you won't have a breaker available until your bar refills. Add also there are quite a few ways out of the charge set-up, and the only really solid option out of it (f.2) is also bad on block. Just saying, if I'm going to be hitting them on block I'd rather do the Torryuken. If they block the 11, EX torryuken is at least safe. Charge isn't regardless.

Parnak

Charge is also unsafe and full combo punishable, so its not any better. However I wouldn't be trying to punish his overhead anyways because I'd likely be in vicious variation, not lackey.

Corner carry is usually more valuable than a mid-screen gimmick. Also spending that much stamina will leave you open since you won't have a breaker available until your bar refills. Add also there are quite a few ways out of the charge set-up, and the only really solid option out of it (f.2) is also bad on block. Just saying, if I'm going to be hitting them on block I'd rather do the Torryuken. If they block the 11, EX torryuken is at least safe. Charge isn't regardless.
Torr Charge is practically safe. The distance it creates on block is enough to get away with -9 frames. Most fast normals are out of reach. However, I can find a dozen major damage heavy punishes for plain Torryuken. Only reverse slide have I found to punish Torr Charge, and that I couldn't do in time manually, had to set the AI to do the reverse. You are mistaken if you think Torryuken & Torr Charge to be equally punishable. They are anything but.

There ain't "quite a few ways out of the charge set-up". There is only one: armored/invincible wake up attack. Even backdashes will get hit by Jip~B2, 3, 2+4. And unless you overrun them, B2 is just as viable as F2 in the "charge set-up", there is time to connect it guaranteed, before they can jump or do meterless wake up. All you have to do for B2 to connect is use it after the timed Jip or dash in and input it not asap.

Quite a few ways out, -since we 're on that subject- that is the case for the roll set-up, where one can tech-roll and jump out with flying colors. And that ain't good, especially if they have an air game too.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Torr Charge is practically safe. The distance it creates on block is enough to get away with -9 frames. Most fast normals are out of reach. However, I can find a dozen major damage heavy punishes for plain Torryuken. Only reverse slide have I found to punish Torr Charge, and that I couldn't do in time manually, had to set the AI to do the reverse. You are mistaken if you think Torryuken & Torr Charge to be equally punishable. They are anything but.

There ain't "quite a few ways out of the charge set-up". There is only one: armored/invincible wake up attack. Even backdashes will get hit by Jip~B2, 3, 2+4. And unless you overrun them, B2 is just as viable as F2 in the "charge set-up", there is time to connect it guaranteed, before they can jump or do meterless wake up. All you have to do for B2 to connect is use it after the timed Jip or dash in and input it not asap.

Quite a few ways out, -since we 're on that subject- that is the case for the roll set-up, where one can tech-roll and jump out with flying colors. And that ain't good, especially if they have an air game too.
Most people have normals that can reach and punish it, don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise just because subs does not. He has T-rex arms, not everyone else does. And yes, Torryuken can be blocked and punished, however the advantage of doing 11 torryuken is the fact that 11x EX torryuken is indeed safe. I usually would be doing that as a punish regardless so yeah.

There are more. Delay WU into backdash once you've committed to a jump. Some characters like Raiden can low-profile AA you with their stupid d.3 hitboxes, I could go on. As far as b.2 and f.2 goes, if you have to delay anything even slightly you open a window for rebuttal. If your set-up can't work with the exact same timing in every situation, its just regular oki, not a vortex. If you have to guess what the opponent might do, or if the opponent's options have a way around yours (like the fact that not all delayed WUs have varying speeds) that would require you to do anything different than you usually do, then thats not a vortex.

I didn't bring up the roll one, but if we are on the subject, no they can't. Tech rolls, like backdashes, have a small recovery. You're welcome to try for yourself, but they can't jump out of the f.2 or b.2 set-ups.

Parnak

Most people have normals that can reach and punish it, don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise just because subs does not. He has T-rex arms, not everyone else does. And yes, Torryuken can be blocked and punished, however the advantage of doing 11 torryuken is the fact that 11x EX torryuken is indeed safe. I usually would be doing that as a punish regardless so yeah.

There are more. Delay WU into backdash once you've committed to a jump. Some characters like Raiden can low-profile AA you with their stupid d.3 hitboxes, I could go on. As far as b.2 and f.2 goes, if you have to delay anything even slightly you open a window for rebuttal. If your set-up can't work with the exact same timing in every situation, its just regular oki, not a vortex. If you have to guess what the opponent might do, or if the opponent's options have a way around yours (like the fact that not all delayed WUs have varying speeds) that would require you to do anything different than you usually do, then thats not a vortex.

I didn't bring up the roll one, but if we are on the subject, no they can't. Tech rolls, like backdashes, have a small recovery. You're welcome to try for yourself, but they can't jump out of the f.2 or b.2 set-ups.
So Torr has T-rex arms now heh? Because even with Torr's standing 2 (8 frames), it is extremely hard to punish Torr Charge. Try it yourself by having AI on Block Always and Reverse Mode with Torr Charge. Good luck hitting a single 2 out of 10 tries. With standing 1 (9 frames) it was just not possible. I found it much easier to punish Torr Up consistently with standing 2.

But Boom, your debate was misplaced from the beginning. If you read my first post, I mentioned EX Torryuken as a punish for Ghost echo to see, I wrote the inputs too because that punish can too lead to Torrvex. If I had a bar, I would go for a Torryuken punish to follow with F2~4xxB, F3. Only if they were low on health would I waste the bar to enhance Torr Charge, because it is an impossible to drop punish for ending the round. So what's your point then to begin with? If one had no meter, why would he choose -for a punish attempt- Torr Up over Torr Charge which creates some space and is one frame safer on block? It is practically safe from heavy punishers, and at any case far safer than Torr Up, anyone can check this out with reverse mode. I for one was never against using EX Torryuken in punishes, granted the meter.

In regards to Rolltex, you were right about there not being enough time to jump out of it after tech rolling, due to tech roll recovery, should Torr use Run. But the roll set-up suffers much from all that you described above. For one, B2 is simply too unreliable for Rollex. If the Lackey player decides to use B2 right away and the opponent rolls, it will whiff. If the Lackey player decides to Run into B2 (anticipating a tech roll) but the opponent doesn't roll, they can wake up attack meterless or jump away. You can never rely on B2 with Rolltex. But you have to rely on Run way to much for the roll set-up. If they tech roll you have to Run to them. You have described above why relying on Run is ill-advised. So where is it exactly that "you have to guess what the opponent might do, or if the opponent's options have a way around yours" ?

As for Torrvex, you don't have to Run, only walk a step and Jip to B2/F2 or dash in to B2/F2. And while we 're at it, where is your problem in taking a moment after dash to B2? Where is the problem in taking two moments after dash to F2? It's only a matter of getting used to calculating delay between F2 & B2. If the delay is timed right they won't be able to move before getting hit, even in wake up armor they will receive the hit. It depends only on execution. Delayed backdash, seriously? Good luck with that. In regards to backdash, if the Lackey player commits to step, jump in 2 to F2 and the opponent backdashes, yes they escape but they lose energy. Should the Lackey player commit to the B2 string after Jip instead, they will get hit during backdash's recovery. As for Raiden's D3s, well what can I say? Did you not see the video? In the set-up, it is shown how the opponent doesn't have the time to leave the ground, Kung Lao's pure anti air spin doesn't have time to initiate to hit a *JIP* and you expect them to find the time to execute normals like D3?

You seem to exclaim at how my set-up is not vortex. Then how come you mentioned your own set-up as vortex, one that cannot even apply the overhead reliably, as I explained above?

Anyway, like I said, your replies were misplaced from the start. Using Torr Charge instead of Torr Up when there is no meter, that is simply the choice favored by common sense/math. On block it's less unsafe if you like to call it completely unsafe. On hit it leads to a set-up. One that you seem ever-eager to downplay. I've long since removed the "true" word that bugged you. Let us remove it from "True Ogre" phrase too.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
So Torr has T-rex arms now heh? Because even with Torr's standing 2 (8 frames), it is extremely hard to punish Torr Charge. Try it yourself by having AI on Block Always and Reverse Mode with Torr Charge. Good luck hitting a single 2 out of 10 tries. With standing 1 (9 frames) it was just not possible. I found it much easier to punish Torr Up consistently with standing 2.

But Boom, your debate was misplaced from the beginning. If you read my first post, I mentioned EX Torryuken as a punish for Ghost echo to see, I wrote the inputs too because that punish can too lead to Torrvex. If I had a bar, I would go for a Torryuken punish to follow with F2~4xxB, F3. Only if they were low on health would I waste the bar to enhance Torr Charge, because it is an impossible to drop punish for ending the round. So what's your point then to begin with? If one had no meter, why would he choose -for a punish attempt- Torr Up over Torr Charge which creates some space and is one frame safer on block? It is practically safe from heavy punishers, and at any case far safer than Torr Up, anyone can check this out with reverse mode. I for one was never against using EX Torryuken in punishes, granted the meter.

In regards to Rolltex, you were right about there not being enough time to jump out of it after tech rolling, due to tech roll recovery, should Torr use Run. But the roll set-up suffers much from all that you described above. For one, B2 is simply too unreliable for Rollex. If the Lackey player decides to use B2 right away and the opponent rolls, it will whiff. If the Lackey player decides to Run into B2 (anticipating a tech roll) but the opponent doesn't roll, they can wake up attack meterless or jump away. You can never rely on B2 with Rolltex. But you have to rely on Run way to much for the roll set-up. If they tech roll you have to Run to them. You have described above why relying on Run that is not good. So where is it exactly that "you have to guess what the opponent might do, or if the opponent's options have a way around yours" ?

As for Torrvex, you don't have to Run, only walk a step and Jip to B2/F2 or dash in to B2/F2. And while we 're at it, where is your problem in taking a moment after dash to B2? Where is the problem in taking two moments after dash to F2? It's only a matter of getting used to calculating delay between F2 & B2. If the delay is timed right they won't be able to move before getting hit, even in wake up armor they will receive the hit. It depends only on execution. Delayed backdash, seriously? Good luck with that. In regards to backdash, if the Lackey player commits to step, jump in 2 to F2 and the opponent backdashes, yes they escape but they lose energy. Should the Lackey player commit to the B2 string after Jip instead, they will get hit during backdash's recovery. As for Raiden's D3s, well what can I say? Did you not see the video? In the set-up, it is shown how the opponent doesn't have the time to leave the ground, Kung Lao's pure anti air spin doesn't have time to initiate to hit a *JIP* and you expect them to find the time to execute normals like D3?

You seem to exclaim at how my set-up is not vortex. Then how come you mentioned your own set-up as vortex, one that cannot even apply the overhead reliably, as I explained above?

Anyway, like I said, your replies were misplaced from the start. Using Torr Charge instead of Torr Up when there is no meter, that is simply the choice favored by common sense/math. On block it's less unsafe if you like to call it completely unsafe. On hit it leads to a set-up. One that you seem ever-eager to downplay. I've long since removed the "true" word that bugged you. Let us remove it from "True Ogre" phrase too.
If I had no meter, I wouldn't bother with Torr up or Torr Charge, I'd just do 11 into mix-up. Even as a meterless option, its less useful that literally doing nothing at all in its place.

Even though its off topic, yes you run and b.2, or run and f.2. Both have the same timing, both have the same effect. Even if the opponent doesn't tech roll and you jog the same distance, throw the same move at the same timing, it produces the same result. If they delay WU, you're still left at advantage regardless of which WU speed they use. The amount of stamina it takes to run over someone after charge is 3x as much as the rollex requires, meaning if someone were to, say, MB torryuken you, your breaker stamina would be back by the time their move even finishes its animation. Regardless of how the enemy decides to wake-up barring the obvious vortex-breaking option of MB specials (which can be baited with a short run much easier than a jump, meaning mine is safer too), regardless of the speed of their wake-up, doing the same move at the same time produces the same result with very little, if any, investment from me, the Torr player, while requiring a large investment of either meter or a hard read from the opponent. Its not as simple as short delay into backdash.

Specifically, the opponent doesn't have the option of just "wake-up attack meterless or jump away" barring maybe Cassie Cage's wake-up backflip which is a 6 frame that still gets beaten out by f.2. The f.2 happens too fast for the jump to come out, and b.2 will swat them clean out of the air all the same. Hell if you do it right, most 8 and 9 frame wake-up reversals get stuffed by both options as well.

As for "Torrvex", I'll break that down later. I have to get ready for work right now. In the meantime, work on your timing, since the issues you seemed to have either don't exist (jump after roll) or are subject to how well you can do the combo (assuming the dash into b.2 suddenly stops working if they don't tech roll).