What's new

Oldschool NJ Player.. My Memories of Central NJ Scene

Hello All,

Been lurking in the shadows here since the demo came out, finally took the time to signup & post. I am an old-school MK player that completely stopped playing fighting games around 1998. The 1st time I saw the original MK in the arcade, I was 11 (1992) & in shock just like any another kid at the time with the fatalities. I played it a bunch never went to a tourney or really took it serious.

When MK2 came out, I knew I was in love. I traveled all over central NJ where my parents would take me to compete in tourneys (Sports n Stuff, Rutgers Livingston Game Center, Billiards, Bowling Alleys) & would spend all weekend at the local malls (Menlo Park, Woodbridge, East Brunswick) playing MK2. Wonder if anyone from this area in NJ that played at those spots post here? pm me or reply! I remember going on Prodigy to get lists of 20 new fatalities to try & if 1 worked, it was amazing. Putting a jacket over the controls so others couldn’t see how to do the fatalities lol.. good ole days

Early 1995 & Menlo Park mall was the 1st to get a MK3 cab in the area. I don’t really remember why but they had it for few months before anyone else did in NJ. So Menlo Park mall became my 2nd home even though it was 30 min drive from my house & I was 13. I used to ride my bike to the mall on the weekends against my parents knowledge (loll <3 u mom) & it would take me 2 hours +. The competition level was the best in the state & here is where I met Tom Brady. We became friends & I started traveling with him all over the state & NYC to look for competition & play in tourneys.

I was amazed to see 8 on the break still open now & throwing ssf4/mvc3 tourneys. I really hope they plan to do some MK9 tourneys; it’s been 16 or so years since I’ve been there, but lots of good memories. Once MK4 came out, the arcades started to die & consoles took over, I just started playing different games & got into Counterstrike.

I would retire from fighting games around 98 until last summer when I was over a friend’s house & he showed me the MK9 video from E3. It really sparked my interest in MK again & I started to checkout a few of the MK websites. It was very interesting for me to see how much depth of information about the fighting games like frame data & analyzation is put into breaking the games down now. We always broke the game down, it’s just crazy how much info is out there on it now, I guess that’s just the internet for you on anything. I could never study a YouTube video or know frame data; I just knew how to play the game hardcore at a high level. You were only as good as your training partners & I’m glad to know now that I was truly playing with some of the best MK players in the world.

I wish I could have been around for the birth of the UMK3 scene on the web that I never knew existed until past year. Maybe I would have continued playing fighting games, but anyway, fast forward to 2011 & now that MK9 has recaptured my love for fighters. I am excited to be getting back into the fighting game scene & will be traveling all over for the tournament scene this summer. I feel like I should have met a lot of you guys many years ago but hey I’m late to the party. I’d love to grab a drink or burn it down , just bs & play some matches, if u ever see me at a tourney or online, get at me & say what’s up. I hope to meet a lot of you in the future & glad to find such a nice community.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Haha, a lot of life stories today. Welcome to TYM!

Awesome post, it takes me back to the time when I saw MK1 in the arcade for the first time in Chicago (I think was 11 at the time as well). That game made one hell of a first impression!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Hey there, welcome to TYM and enjoy MK9. Lots of oldschoolers coming back for this game.

Noob
Never too late to get re-started. We're always open for people to come and chill either in NY or NJ. We'll def have to meet up and get you playing UMK3 and get some MK9 when it comes out.