What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang [Old] Liu Kang Spotted!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snort

Noob
Well if he's not in MKX, Earthrealm is fucked if there's a Mortal Kombat tournament...
Apparently he's the only guy that can win it.

And Sub-Zero has, literally, been in every game and even has his own game...so...there's that.
Yea and Sub Zero isn't hype either. Earthrealm can be saved by a new Character, if there's an MK tourney. Always ways to tweak the story.

currently it is.

None of the MK9 arcade endings are canon... yet.

Fire God Liu Kang got a big approval by many MK fans. Not only is it a good direction for the character, he also looks cool.

Who knows... maybe NRS decided to go with it and make part of MKX story about how Liu asks the elder gods for godlike powers and they grant him said powers. They might even go with the "Raiden is an incompetent fool" route... which they seem to be in the comics.
He'd certainly move out of the goody2shoes he usually is... which is essentially what people are sick of him.
The MK legacy series also had an evil Liu Kang who got a lot of approval. The fans have spoken and hopefully NRS listened.
Hence why I said it might work. I just feel having Liu Kang become some "Fire God" would be a huge cop out. He's Liu Kang, he doesn't need to be a god, he's already arguably the most powerful character for the good guys.

Sure, maybe the Elder Gods can enhance his abilities or start favouring him over Raiden, but don't go full fan-fiction by having him be a "Fire God".

HE'S NOT A ZOMBIE?!

What is this fucking bullshit?!

I hope that isn't actually him and is a new monk character instead.

The more I look at it, the less it looks like him, Liu Kang has never worn anything like that before and the only thing that really looks like his is what appears to maybe be a headband.

What if he's a God? That'd be cool.

Zephyrus

TYM resident party pooper
Hence why I said it might work. I just feel having Liu Kang become some "Fire God" would be a huge cop out. He's Liu Kang, he doesn't need to be a god, he's already arguably the most powerful character for the good guys.

Sure, maybe the Elder Gods can enhance his abilities or start favouring him over Raiden, but don't go full fan-fiction by having him be a "Fire God".
But that's the thing. It's NOT fan fiction. NRS wrote it.

Also, why can't we have him as a fire god? Reptile used to be a reptilian creature wearing human skin, before being turned into an actual reptilian creature.
Shang Tsung used to be an old decrepit man.
So why can't we have Liu as a fire god?
It can even give him interesting variations.
One being classic Liu Kang. The other two playing on his new found powers.

This is all conjecture and wishful thinking. The "Liu Kang" we think we see in the towers might not be actually Liu Kang. It can be an entirely different character.

Zephyrus

TYM resident party pooper
No it wouldn't.

It would be fucking terrible.

I want my zombie Liu Kang!
go play deception and armageddon then.

Zombie Liu was awful. Even worse than goodie2shoes Liu. He brings nothing to the story other than being a rampaging monster without thought.

Also, why can't we have him as a fire god? Reptile used to be a reptilian creature wearing human skin, before being turned into an actual reptilian creature.

This is all conjecture and wishful thinking. The "Liu Kang" we think we see in the towers might not be actually Liu Kang. It can be an entirely different character.
Well yeah, I know it isn't really fan-fiction, it just seems like something bad you would find in fan-fiction to me.

Reptile started devolving into a more reptilian form because he was separated from his race and matriach for so long and Shang Tsung used to be a decrepit old man until Shao Kahn restored his youth.

But yeah, it could just be a new character. I'm pretty sure I speculated so in my first post here. Although, some have also started speculating that it could be Takeda. Guess we're not going to know until we see a reveal or whatever.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
go play deception and armageddon then.

Zombie Liu was awful. Even worse than goodie2shoes Liu. He brings nothing to the story other than being a rampaging monster without thought.
No.

Zombie Liu Kang's entire story was about the spirit of Liu Kang trying to regain control of his body, if you remember.

I find a wandering spirit trying to stop his murderous corpse from slaughtering innocents and regain control or at least put it to rest a more interesting character than a guy who is just the god of fire.

Last edited:

Not to mention it fits the whole fire vs lightning trope seen in a lot of Eastern media.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
Well if he's not in MKX, Earthrealm is fucked if there's a Mortal Kombat tournament...
Apparently he's the only guy that can win it.

And Sub-Zero has, literally, been in every game and even has his own game...so...there's that.
Not to mention they did EVERYTHING possible with that character as well...

Bi Han enters, dies, Bi Han makes a comeback as Noob Saibot, brother enters mk2 & takes up subzero's codename, gets a hideous scar on his eye, gets his own game, gets the grandmaster title in D.A., gets a fur coat in Deception, gets bald yet obtains a ponytail at the same time (Deception as well), becomes a cyborg that everyone hates, dies again (as a cyborg), makes yet another comeback from the dead in MKX... :confused:

Not even a comparison (story wise).
BUT, as long as there are ninjas, ninja fanboys will always have a loved one! One that goes with the color of their own preference or one that they will feel comfortable playing as in an mk title...
But for saving earthrealm? NRS need to make a new superhero out of someone. They seem to push Scorpion a whole lot, so maybe he's their "next chosen one".

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Not to mention they did EVERYTHING possible with that character as well...

Bi Han enters, dies, Bi Han makes a comeback as Noob Saibot, brother enters mk2 & takes up subzero's codename, gets a hideous scar on his eye, gets his own game, gets the grandmaster title in D.A., gets a fur coat in Deception, gets bald yet obtains a ponytail at the same time (Deception as well), becomes a cyborg that everyone hates, dies again (as a cyborg), makes yet another comeback from the dead in MKX... :confused:

Not even a comparison (story wise).
BUT, as long as there are ninjas, ninja fanboys will always have a loved one! One that goes with the color of their own preference or one that they will feel comfortable playing as in an mk title...
But for saving earthrealm? NRS need to make a new superhero out of someone. They seem to push Scorpion a whole lot, so maybe he's their "next chosen one".
They always push Scorpion a whole lot.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
They always push Scorpion a whole lot.
We already know Scorpion is Ed Boon's favorite but little do actually remember John Tobias' favorite character being Kang...
Tobias was actually known to be responsible for the more "traditional" designs and in favor of the general mysticism and oriental elements of the mk universe (see Sh. Tsung, Raiden, Kang, the ninja rivals...).

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
I think we will get more of a demigod Liu Kang, or powers enhanced by the gods. If he ends up being a full blown god, I doubt he will be playable. A boss maybe?

Edit: except wait never mind because this isn't a tournament. It's not Mortal Kombat, it's Mortal Whatever.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Liu Kang is my favorite character in the franchise. :'(

Smoke players: *gasp*

Faded: I love Smoke too tho! D:

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I think we will get more of a demigod Liu Kang, or powers enhanced by the gods. If he ends up being a full blown god, I doubt he will be playable. A boss maybe?

Edit: except wait never mind because this isn't a tournament. It's not Mortal Kombat, it's Mortal Whatever.
It bums me out that the focus has shifted so far from the actual tournament. Perhaps MKX will reinstate its importance.

Status
Not open for further replies.