What's new

Official TYM UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) Discussion

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
Anyone else really amped for the Fox card in December? Shit's gonna be mad hype, really hoping we don't get a last minute injury for anyone on the main card. Nate Diaz ftw.

CRUM

Noob
CRUM Seeing that you are one of the biggest UFC buffs, I would like your opinion on Rashad Evans
Probably the best fighter to come out of TUF. He has only lost to Machida and Jones so that speaks for itself. I think he beats Lil Nog and then gets the winner of Teixeira/Rampage or Machida/Hendo. As far as his skillset. He's got power in his hands (he KO'd Liddell for f's sake) and he can probably take down anyone at LHW with the exception of Jones.

Probably the best fighter to come out of TUF. He has only lost to Machida and Jones so that speaks for itself. I think he beats Lil Nog and then gets the winner of Teixeira/Rampage or Machida/Hendo. As far as his skillset. He's got power in his hands (he KO'd Liddell for f's sake) and he can probably take down anyone at LHW with the exception of Jones.
Yes his resume is retardedly impressive lol. In terms of LHW he's def in my top 3.

coolwhip

Noob
The hate Rashad generally receives is ridiculously unjustified. The man is extremely good, well-spoken and generally handles himself well. The so called "cockiness" is really no different than that of most top level fighters.

To me, he's the third best light heavyweight around, behind Jones and Machida.

coolwhip

Noob
Anyone else really amped for the Fox card in December? Shit's gonna be mad hype, really hoping we don't get a last minute injury for anyone on the main card. Nate Diaz ftw.
That card is awesome.

I'm a huge "Shogun" fan but I truly worry for him against Gustafson. Not only is the latter an absolute beast and one of the most promising fighters in the division, but Rua's knees are completely shot. Ever since the surgery he had after the second Machida fight, he's been moving like a zombie inside the cage.

Penn-McDonald is a terrific fight. I've been lucky enough to watch McDonald in the gym, the man is everything you've heard about him/seen from him and more. BJ Penn, despite his history of laziness in the gym, is one of the best talents to ever grace the sport.

As far as Diaz-Henderson goes, it has a genuine potential of being the best fight of the year. If Henderson takes him down, expect some breathtaking scrambles, submission attempts from the bottom, sweeps, reversals, etc... Those who have seen Henderson's first fight with Cerrone know what I'm talking about.

CRUM

Noob
The hate Rashad generally receives is ridiculously unjustified. The man is extremely good, well-spoken and generally handles himself well. The so called "cockiness" is really no different than that of most top level fighters.

To me, he's the third best light heavyweight around, behind Jones and Machida.
Yeah to me, Rashad's "cockiness" has dissipated and yet fans still boo him. He's a great fighter and is easily the number 2 in the division IMO. Him and Machida are interchangeable in the division. But I think he still has the best shot at beating Jones. Although I think Glover Teixiera will give Jones MASSIVE problems if they fight.

CRUM

Noob
That card is awesome.

I'm a huge "Shogun" fan but I truly worry for him against Gustafson. Not only is the latter an absolute beast and one of the most promising fighters in the division, but Rua's knees are completely shot. Ever since the surgery he had after the second Machida fight, he's been moving like a zombie inside the cage.

Penn-McDonald is a terrific fight. I've been lucky enough to watch McDonald in the gym, the man is everything you've heard about him/seen from him and more. BJ Penn, despite his history of laziness in the gym, is one of the best talents to ever grace the sport.

As far as Diaz-Henderson goes, it has a genuine potential of being the best fight of the year. If Henderson takes him down, expect some breathtaking scrambles, submission attempts from the bottom, sweeps, reversals, etc... Those who have seen Henderson's first fight with Cerrone know what I'm talking about.
My picks are pretty clean cut. For the 3 highlighted matches I got MacDonald finishing Penn in the second. People need to face facts that BJ is not really BJ at Welterweight. He is more disciplined at Lightweight and fights like an animal.

Gustafsson/Rua I have Gustafsson by decision. Gustafsson's range will pose a real problem for Shogun. In his heyday I still think Shogun was pound-for-pound the best LHW in the world. But I think it's coming to that time where guys like Rua and Rampage can't hang with the up-and-comers and the younger fighters.

Diaz will decision Henderson if not submit him late. Diaz is a whole other animal in that division and Frankie SHOULD be the champ. Henderson better come prepared because Diaz is gonna walk him down and put a beating on him.

coolwhip

Noob
Yeah to me, Rashad's "cockiness" has dissipated and yet fans still boo him. He's a great fighter and is easily the number 2 in the division IMO. Him and Machida are interchangeable in the division. But I think he still has the best shot at beating Jones. Although I think Glover Teixiera will give Jones MASSIVE problems if they fight.
Glover is awesome, but the best aspect of his game is his ridiculous top game. Once he's on top, he's going to brutalize you and/or submit you. I don't see how he's ever getting top position on an infinitely better wrestler in Jones. Teixeira's striking is good, but he'll have a hard time getting past Jones' reach. And, despite what Joe Rogan tried to sell the audience during Glover's last fight, his cardio's actually pretty iffy. In a five round fight, he's in trouble against Jones.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
To be fair, Fabio was taking the worst beating I've ever seen in the UFC, Glover most likely tired himself out with all of the bombs he was throwing, though I can obviously see how his style would be really taxing in a five round match. Either way, Rampage is getting knocked out most likely when they fight, that guy just doesn't care anymore and should just go into professional wrestling or action movies.

In other news, I'm seriously upset that Chris Weidman had to pull out of his match with Boetsch. On the upside Philippou's in who I also like, and maybe Weidman will get a better opponent next time to prove himself more to the naysayers.

And that superfight between Silva and GSP really shouldn't happen, it's just going to be a major letdown and a reminder of why weight classes exist and will also hold up their divisions. For god's sake, GSP just got back from a year long absence and Condit refusing to defend his interim belt, we don't need the WW belt contendership to be clogged again, when we have so many prospects in that division lining up.

coolwhip

Noob
To be fair, Fabio was taking the worst beating I've ever seen in the UFC, Glover most likely tired himself out with all of the bombs he was throwing, though I can obviously see how his style would be really taxing in a five round match. Either way, Rampage is getting knocked out most likely when they fight, that guy just doesn't care anymore and should just go into professional wrestling or action movies.

In other news, I'm seriously upset that Chris Weidman had to pull out of his match with Boetsch. On the upside Philippou's in who I also like, and maybe Weidman will get a better opponent next time to prove himself more to the naysayers.

And that superfight between Silva and GSP really shouldn't happen, it's just going to be a major letdown and a reminder of why weight classes exist and will also hold up their divisions. For god's sake, GSP just got back from a year long absence and Condit refusing to defend his interim belt, we don't need the WW belt contendership to be clogged again, when we have so many prospects in that division lining up.
With regards to Fabio, watch his fights before signing the UFC when he was competing in Brazil, his cardio's pretty iffy.

Anderson/GSP is a fight between the two best fighters in the world. I want to see it. We can talk about the size difference all we want, but does GSP really have less of a chance than Leben, Franklin, Marquardt, Lutter, Cote, Leites, Maya, Griffin, Bonnar, Irvin? Will he really not exploit Anderson's takedown defense because Silva is heavier? Anderson was taken down by far inferior wrestlers during his UFC run (Leites, Belfort, Franklin and Lutter took him down), all fighters that, while heavier than St-Pierre, aren't nearly the physical specimen that he is, the athlete that he is, and don't have the wrestling technique that he does.

That said, I think Silva beats GSP, as his reach, footwork and ability to finish the fight with one shot make him the favorite (twenty-five minutes is too long a time for GSP not to get caught). But damn, I really want to see it.

CRUM

Noob
With regards to Fabio, watch his fights before signing the UFC when he was competing in Brazil, his cardio's pretty iffy.

Anderson/GSP is a fight between the two best fighters in the world. I want to see it. We can talk about the size difference all we want, but does GSP really have less of a chance than Leben, Franklin, Marquardt, Lutter, Cote, Leites, Maya, Griffin, Bonnar, Irvin? Will he really not exploit Anderson's takedown defense because Silva is heavier? Anderson was taken down by far inferior wrestlers during his UFC run (Leites, Belfort, Franklin and Lutter took him down), all fighters that, while heavier than St-Pierre, aren't nearly the physical specimen that he is, the athlete that he is, and don't have the wrestling technique that he does.

That said, I think Silva beats GSP, as his reach, footwork and ability to finish the fight with one shot make him the favorite (twenty-five minutes is too long a time for GSP not to get caught). But damn, I really want to see it.
Belfort took Silva down? Lol last I remember he front kicked him in the face and knocked him out cold.

coolwhip

Noob
Belfort took Silva down? Lol last I remember he front kicked him in the face and knocked him out cold.
About a minute or so before the front kick happened, Anderson threw a high kick that Belfort caught and used it to plant him on his back. Silva got back to his feet immediately after.

I know that since I work for an MMA website and my job is to break down fights and analyze, so I'm forced to watch plenty of tape, to where I have some fights damn near memorized, lol.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
JDS getting beaten into a living death was hard to watch. Still my favorite HW along with Big Nog, I hope he comes back with a better strategy and KOs Cain in the inevitable rubber match.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
JDS getting beaten into a living death was hard to watch. Still my favorite HW along with Big Nog, I hope he comes back with a better strategy and KOs Cain in the inevitable rubber match.
Yeah man.. He was done from the first big punch that hit him.. Never really got his legs back. I'd figured Cain might end up getting him down, but I figured he'd still be able to make it back to his feet at the end of the round and fight back. Pretty wild

coolwhip which MMA site do you work for? That's pretty cool :)

CitizenSnips

Yeah man.. He was done from the first big punch that hit him.. Never really got his legs back. I'd figured Cain might end up getting him down, but I figured he'd still be able to make it back to his feet at the end of the round and fight back. Pretty wild

coolwhip which MMA site do you work for? That's pretty cool :)
Yeah JDS was looking very good stuffing all the shots and when he did get taken down he popped right back up. However his hands-low stance which is good for stopping the takedowns did not work well in the end because he must have forgot that Cain is a big and fast dude and clocked him hard with that overhand right. JDS has really got to make some adjustments next time they fight. Some better head movement and keeping his hands up are necessary. Should also really start implementing knees into his game, even though they could get him taken down, they add another element to his striking game which could open up opportunities for his punches.

Can't wait for UFC 156 that card is staaaaaacked. Belfort v. Bisping card should also be good.

Big Frog

Noob
Can't wait for this Saturday. I want to see Rampage get KTFO so bad by Glover. Which is a shame because I really used to like him.

and Bellator this Thursday too. Good shit this week.

CitizenSnips

Can't wait for this Saturday. I want to see Rampage get KTFO so bad by Glover. Which is a shame because I really used to like him.

and Bellator this Thursday too. Good shit this week.
Yeah I like Rampage but the past couple years his fights have been pretty mediocre or boring. Last time he really looked good was against Henderson. Glover is definitely one of the more exciting "new guys" (he's pretty old though and been fighting for a long time) and at first I wanted him to beat Rampage but now I'm changing my mind a bit, I want to see Rampage have 1 more good fight in the UFC.

I'm pretty excited for Mighty Mouse v. Dodson. I am pretty biased towards 125 lbs though and I know that a lot of people don't like the lower weightclasses yet.

And I hope Askren gets KTFO but I'm expecting a wrestle-fucking decision.

Big Frog

Noob
I just don't like how Rampage is acting these days. He cries waaaaaay too much now. Same thing happened with Clay for me. I used to really like Clay, but lately he's just been acting like a douche saying he could be like 15-1 in the UFC right now, running away from Gray like that, etc. Funny that they're both on the card this Sat.

yeah, I'm honestly more excited for Ramp/Glover, Pettis/Cowboy and Koch/Lamas though. It's a pretty good card overall, no complaints.

I agree about Askren too. I can't see it going any other way for Karl, but you never know. King Mo should be interesting as well. Probably another wrestle-f00k though.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I still want Rampage to win even though we all know he'll probably lose. I don't like cocky people but for some reason he's an exception for me.

Also, am I the only one extremely pumped for Barao vs McDonald next month? I seriously think Michael McDonald is the most underrated fighter in the UFC right now.

And while I'm at it, Mir vs Cormier can't come soon enough ;_;