What's new

Official Mortal Kombat 1 Online Stress Test (Friday-Monday) Discussion

the speed, game feels slow, I wish they could find a way to speed up the pace a little bit, maybe give MK9 dash block mechanic and change the jump animations a bit.
It's the animations in general plus the hitstop. Everything takes forever, kameos run into the screen while your character is frozen in place, fatal blows use both characters, win poses use both characters, there are cinematic throws for some reason, etc etc

It's the animations in general plus the hitstop. Everything takes forever, kameos run into the screen while your character is frozen in place, fatal blows use both characters, win poses use both characters, there are cinematic throws for some reason, etc etc
it's like they're trying really hard to show off how much time they spent on animations, flair, and cinematic movement. i'm glad there's combo freedom in the game but i think the future of mk is really gonna be hampered by this hollywood level production in the gameplay they've got going on.

honestly the overall speed of the game needs like 10% speed increase or something. jumps are mad floaty, but dashes and animations feel like you got ball and chains tied to you. like there's just so much exaggeration. nothing wrong with footsies and neutral but I need some movement. this why i wish run was just a staple of mk or at least mk9 dash block

dashes and animations feel like you got ball and chains tied to you
I think dash cancels will get optimized eventually like how people developed the technique in tekken or mk9, there's probably some kind of an input trick waiting to be discovered

But the attacks absolutely carry a lot of impact in that every hit is emphasised, hence the overabundance of hitstop

I didn't get to play but here are my two cents as an observer.
Kano's throw SUCKS ASS with how long it drags out, they need to make him run away or make others do that and leave him as a gag cameo to make your opponent salty af.
Kenshi isn't only a beast, he's broken beyond broken as of now. The only character I've seen to hit an opponent while holding block and all thanks to his spirit. His damage output is insane,meterless 40% in the wall, a projectile dealing 18% full screen.
Mixups are fair but if they want to keep him that way they ought to remove his cameo he has two with the spirit.
Kitana is fine. Sub is a menace online like he always has been. His clone charge move is great and it absorbs projectiles, which is his third move to do that, now his regular clone looks like an extra tool for turtling. Overall he's fine. His damage output is quite balanced.
Last but not least my main Liu Motherfucking Kang back with his f4 satgger bullshit, absolutely stupid zoning options with air fireballs,low fire dragon and firedragon into fly kick. Meterless launcher that can be done twice in a combo. He's basically mk11 Liu without nunchucks and with more zoning options. Perfect for you and annoying for you.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
honestly the overall speed of the game needs like 10% speed increase or something. jumps are mad floaty, but dashes and animations feel like you got ball and chains tied to you. like there's just so much exaggeration. nothing wrong with footsies and neutral but I need some movement. this why i wish run was just a staple of mk or at least mk9 dash block
I think its more then 10%, almost like 25% increase.
Its not just Kanos throw, or movement, its damn near everything, combo strings seem to take forever, and have crazy recovery.
Watching Sonic Fox do dumb shit with Kenshi with block strings was sick at first, but became painful because it felt like all the animations for his katana strings are in slow motion.

Its upsetting because they are doing so much right with this, but if it stays like this, I think the game would die faster then MK11 did.
Combos and creativity in gameplay are great, but they can only take you so far, if the game just ends up being slog to play and watch, then what is the point?

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I haven't sat and thought about the reasoning, but it's clearly a deliberate decision to make these animations slower. There must be a simple explanation. I'm not a SF player, but you can also tell those games have gotten progressively slower since SF4. What's the explanation they give?

Kratilim

Noob
I don't have access to the test, but from what I've been seeing, I like the slower pace. MK11 was fine for me, mkx was a bit too fast. I've been playing MK casually since the original in tge 90s. So super fast games aren't for me anymore as I get older.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
After playing for a few more hours last night, they definitely can speed some things up. Not everything, but some things definitely feel sluggish, it’s most notable when you’re in neutral and trying to find an opening.

There is straight up no reason why Kanos throw should be longer than a brutality lmao

Slick Tony

GT: TheSlickTony - PSN: TH3_AUR3L1U5
Now to preface this: I am not a pro level player at all. But, here are my thoughts -

The game's combo potential is insane. Very Vs.-esque. I can see people finding stuff a year from now. But there is a couple problems that make the combo potential... situational.

Kameos are not very intuitive and sort of sluggish. They don't seem to consistently come out. Am I supposed to press the button before I begin my string or during it? Am I supposed to hold the direction I want for the Kameo move I want or tap - because both are inconsistent.

Also, the movement is sluggish. VERY sluggish. When Street Fighter is snappier and faster paced than you know something is wrong. This sluggish movement not only makes combo potential less than it should be, it also causes a large amount of matches to devolve into: hold block button, block, release block and try to punish, get tapped, repeat.

EDIT: One last thing - I ADORE the aesthetic. It's so old school.

not a SF player, but you can also tell those games have gotten progressively slower since SF4. What's the explanation they give?
The only thing in common between NRS titles and SF5 and 6 is the usage of motion capture for animations instead of hand-made (like what SF4 and SFV S1 used)

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I see what y'all are saying about the game 'looking slow' but the game doesn't feel slow when you're playing, it's just some moves have the longest animations for no reason. And some characters have slower movement and strings like Kitana who feels sluggish up close. I'm really afraid Mileena is going to have the same type of sluggish Kitana strings, because it looked that way in the gameplay reveal, but maybe they'll fix that stuff.

Some animations as I said need tweaking, Like Kenshi's stance amp attack that lasts for 25 years. And some Kameo throws are too long. I also absolutely HATE the slow down after a kill on the first round. Like why? What is the point? You already have a slow down on last round, STOP IT. They should remove kill slowdown on all rounds IMO.

And dashing is non-usable for combos which I think is why people who are watching have the impression that the gameplay looks slow. But if they change the dash speed then it'll change neutral a lot and I think neutral in this game is already solid. What they need to change is the walk speed, it’s too slow and it prevents you from whiff punishing blocked pokes. Kitana literally can’t just walk back after a poke she’ll get blown up lmao.

Overall, EXTREMELY fun game. The music is top tier, the gibberish is back which is sick, combo freedom and Kameos are great. It feels like this is going to be the best MK game in a long time depending on the base roster and other crazy Kameos I can't wait to see.

Last edited:

Kokoko

Somehow
People who say they could do without kameos are like people who have a fridge full of food, but they say "I'll only eat asparagus." Okay bro, chew your asparagus, let the others feast.

As for the game. 30% or 40% combos are ok. But 65% combos need to go.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Absolutely love the gameplay & the Kameos. My only concern with the Kameos was that they'd feel "tacked on" like the assists in MK11. But they're really baked into everything. From the intros, grabs, gameplay, fatals (my favs) to the winning animations.

Now I just need the kameos to have skins that aren't just "klassic" outfits. Like Sonya is dope and all, but I'd love if she had an outfit that was more modern & fit with the style of what everyone else was wearing. The klassic outfits just really stand out next to these more detailed outfits like Kitana's or Kenshi's.

In terms of the gameplay itself I'm starting to get the hang of Kenshi's sento stance & I'm seriously really loving him! At first I thought he'd be way too advanced for my casual ass but he's not that bad!

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
People who say they could do without kameos are like people who have a fridge full of food, but they say "I'll only eat asparagus." Okay bro, chew your asparagus, let the others feast.

As for the game. 30% or 40% combos are ok. But 65% combos need to go.
I have no idea what you are saying. What are you "feasting on" exactly?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
All I know is I really hope NRS completely ignores almost every one of you. This obsession with wanting the game (or any game in general) to perfectly align with your own preferences 100%, especially when it’s just a stress test, is so obnoxious and pretentious to me. Not saying you can’t express your criticisms and/or complaints or whatever, all I’m saying is I hope NRS doesn’t listen, lol. ¯\(ツ)

Immortal

Blind justice....
I've been playing like... well nonstop. :laughing:

Obviously only Kenshi and i love what they done with him. Sento stance is the best thing ever, gives him so many options... The mindgames are insane.... i make people so salty.... :D

I'm still not sure about having 2 punishing mechanics together(flawless block and armor) seems like an odd choice to me.

I don't mind pacing of the game/movement speed. Some animations need to be speed up like it was said already but nothing really game breaking for me. Kameos make some insane combo extenders which look cool for sure, i thought that i wont like them but as it turns out - i do.

Overall i'm enjoying myself far more than i did when MK 11 came out... man i'm just so happy Kenshi is back and they did him so well.

Oh and... no more variations... thank the lord lol

I think dash cancels will get optimized eventually like how people developed the technique in tekken or mk9, there's probably some kind of an input trick waiting to be discovered

But the attacks absolutely carry a lot of impact in that every hit is emphasised, hence the overabundance of hitstop
i don't know. i think the way dash cancelling is implemented that even making a tech or macro wont optimize it but i could be wrong