What's new

Official Ermac and Mavado Kameo Trailer

Comments

I think NRS players focus too much on narrative. They usually just want a scrubby, exploitable, 2touching flow-chart that can land them a win with minimal thinking.

But I do admit, I am in the minority. I like the challenge of making a marginally bad character a threat. I never said this before but, I trust the NRS balancing team this time around (it feels like someone new got hired). Sue me, but the balance changes weve seen so far have all been–in my humble opinion–in benefit to the games health.
I feel like you are saying two separate things, or I didn't get your point in the post I quoted.

Previous games that were deemed unbalanced or in need of "proper tuning" had plenty of characters that were marginally bad, very deep, fun to play, and had alot of matchups where they were completely viable to play.

I personally don't care if a game is balanced, in the terms of viable solo tournament characters and lack of lopsided matchups. I just want it to be fun. The best fighting games of all time all have only a handful of competitive characters.

I feel like you are saying two separate things, or I didn't get your point in the post I quoted.

Previous games that were deemed unbalanced or in need of "proper tuning" had plenty of characters that were marginally bad, very deep, fun to play, and had alot of matchups where they were completely viable to play.

I personally don't care if a game is balanced, in the terms of viable solo tournament characters and lack of lopsided matchups. I just want it to be fun. The best fighting games of all time all have only a handful of competitive characters.
Yes, sorry. It was two seperate things and I didnt properly establish the connection between them. My brain is a little fried right now from number crunching. I was trying to say that the "narratives" around fighting games have a tendency to become so distorted. They are spoken like facts even though they are usually just shallow thoughts that don't take into account the consequences. You said I was probably alone [hyperbolic] in feeling that the game benefits from toning some things down. From my perspective, the ONLY players who could geniunly feel that way are the ones exploiting brain dead tactics that were CLEARLY not in the vision of the game.

Ive heard these narratives at least twice each, and I just strongly disagree with each one:
"All kameo moves should be ambush"
"NRS keeps removing options, its going to end up like MK11"
"Quans low tentacle launch should be 1 bar"
"Kameos suck and shouldn't be in the game"

This nonsense was fine for 11/X because it genuinely felt like NRS was just throwing things at the wall and seeing what stuck. MK1 has a design direction, whether it was executed well or not. Not a single option was removed from this game, the closest thing to an option removal was Cyrax Horizontal Helicopter nerf. I swear some ppl think they want to play 8 slot Test Your Luck, and once they get it... theyll hate the game for a new reason.

Yes, sorry. It was two seperate things and I didnt properly establish the connection between them. My brain is a little fried right now from number crunching. I was trying to say that the "narratives" around fighting games have a tendency to become so distorted. They are spoken like facts even though they are usually just shallow thoughts that don't take into account the consequences. You said I was probably alone [hyperbolic] in feeling that the game benefits from toning some things down. From my perspective, the ONLY players who could geniunly feel that way are the ones exploiting brain dead tactics that were CLEARLY not in the vision of the game.

Ive heard these narratives at least twice each, and I just strongly disagree with each one:
"All kameo moves should be ambush"
"NRS keeps removing options, its going to end up like MK11"
"Quans low tentacle launch should be 1 bar"
"Kameos suck and shouldn't be in the game"

This nonsense was fine for 11/X because it genuinely felt like NRS was just throwing things at the wall and seeing what stuck. MK1 has a design direction, whether it was executed well or not. Not a single option was removed from this game, the closest thing to an option removal was Cyrax Horizontal Helicopter nerf. I swear some ppl think they want to play 8 slot Test Your Luck, and once they get it... theyll hate the game for a new reason.
I think I agree with everything you said. Most suggestions for system changes have been half-cocked for sure.

I was more in the mindset of MK9 and Injustice 1. Games were busted both in Tier lists and mechanics, but the gameplay is second to none and the top tier are generally fun to fight. Nothing like MK1 Stormcell or Tanya/Lao safe/armored launcher "the character" exist in those. So, when people are wanting things to be crazy again, that is what I think of. They just don't have a clue how to achieve it.

I think I agree with everything you said. Most suggestions for system changes have been half-cocked for sure.

I was more in the mindset of MK9 and Injustice 1. Games were busted both in Tier lists and mechanics, but the gameplay is second to none and the top tier are generally fun to fight. Nothing like MK1 Stormcell or Tanya/Lao safe/armored launcher "the character" exist in those. So, when people are wanting things to be crazy again, that is what I think of. They just don't have a clue how to achieve it.
We are in such a unique position to be able to observe NRS as they grow. As someone who is constantly looking at this game under a microscope... i gotta say, i am proud of how far they have come. I think it took quite a long time, but they are VERY close to reaching their full potential. The final patch of mkx was the beginning of them realizing the vision. Mk11 will always be the black sheep, but that game was so important in a lot of ways. Mk1 would not be this enjoyable of mk11 never happened.

So ehh is that mavado trap unblockable ? Thinking this might be haviks new favourite kameo loopable unblockable scenarios :DOGE

The moves Mavado uses in the first clip are so fast that i doubt there isn't some sort of limitation to them, maybe he needs to go into a stance which indicates which move he'll do or they're only usable/this fast during a combo