What's new

Match-up Discussion Official Deathstroke Match-up Chart v3

ryublaze

Noob
Okay so the past 2 days ive been compiling information on how DS can deal with lantern b13 nonsense. most of this shit is universal but in here i specifically talk about how deathstroke can do shit lol.

As all of you know, every character can backdash lanter'ns b13 after b1 an the 3 will whiff. when this happens, there is a 15 or 16 frame window where you can punish lantern. stand 3 will punish the elbow.

to check people for backdashing he has b1 minigun and b1 oa rocket. if he does b1 minigun, i have gotten something as slow as i14 to interrupt (stand 3). the move is honestly slow as shit and you have plenty of time to react and push a button. block b1 see lantern wind up, just stand up and 132. if he does oa rocket, you will crouch under the projectile and if he meter burns it, it will meter burn behind you, so you can d2.

if he tries to check you for backdashing with lift, the lift will whiff but he is farther away from you since the elbow of b13 moves him forward, so to punish, you would have to use either sword flip for hard knockdown or ex stand guns for max dammy, i personally find the hard knockdown to be much more useful unless the max dammy will kill.

overall, if you arent backdashing b13, you are letting a lantern player get away with using safe pressure on you all day, and its honestly something really fucking easy to do. i practiced it for like 20 minutes before testing it out and i can get it relatively consistently. best part about it is if you fuck it up, most of the time you will just stand in place and block. pretty sweet right?

@Vagrant
@RedRaptor10
@G4S J360
@GGA Slips
@Crathen
@Enuma Elish
For punishing b13 i think the max damage u can get is backdash, slight walk forward 132 j2 323 f23 flip for 33%. What's nice about this is that u can also do the flying ninja vortex off of 132. Or if you want to go for the ambiguous j3 setup then b1u2 f3 d2 j2 f23 flip.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
its not an option select. it creates an unsafe 50/50 after a blocked b1. of whether you will backdash or not. id say it can just be a mixup between backdash and d2 to make it even more simple. and yeah if you block b1 and mash backdash and down get it you will block standing
Ok I fully understand now. I didn't know B1 xx Minigun could be interrupted. And I'm assuming blocked B1 xx Lift is out of DS B1 range which is why Flip/ QuickFire is the option?

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Ok I fully understand now. I didn't know B1 xx Minigun could be interrupted. And I'm assuming blocked B1 xx Lift is out of DS B1 range which is why Flip/ QuickFire is the option?
if you backdash b13, you're at max range for stand 3 to hit. if he does b1 lift and you backdash he is farther away from you because the elbow in b13 moves in forward so you have to use something with more range.

TKB

Noob
Does anyone have tips on the flash matchup? I know it's considered one of Deathstroke's worst, a competent flash player that knows his tricks and game can make short work of him. I'm all ears for any advice.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Does anyone have tips on the flash matchup? I know it's considered one of Deathstroke's worst, a competent flash player that knows his tricks and game can make short work of him. I'm all ears for any advice.
you have to approach this matchup and try to keep him about a character space and a half away from you as much as you can. at that range, he really has nothing he can hit you with other than b2, and honestly, a lot of flash players will just throw that shit out like its cash and not hit confirm b22. you can react to any kind of movement flash does that is forward and isnt walking to punish i and you will still be save regardless if he goes with b22 or a dash which is his other option. fat chance you would catch him dashing in because the recover frames on that are much less than on a whiffed b22 lol. f3, d2 and f23 your go to pokes in close with flash. you can't hand the frame advantage over to flash so easily since hes just going to put you into frame trap, into frame trap, into frame trap until you dont block an overhead. even if you aren't being punished, you let him turn the tide of he match in his favor. i dont like stand 3 as a poking tool in the match for that reason. after making flash block a f3, his backdash will be caught by a j3 so you can discourage him from backdashing after that. in this match, i feel like meter isnt really needed unless you somehow get flash full screen from you and want to chip him with low guns. theres a lot more i can say but im exhausted now so ill give ou more of an analysis later. this matchup gets talked about a lot so there is a ton of information all over the DS forums for it

TKB

Noob
you have to approach this matchup and try to keep him about a character space and a half away from you as much as you can. at that range, he really has nothing he can hit you with other than b2, and honestly, a lot of flash players will just throw that shit out like its cash and not hit confirm b22. you can react to any kind of movement flash does that is forward and isnt walking to punish i and you will still be save regardless if he goes with b22 or a dash which is his other option. fat chance you would catch him dashing in because the recover frames on that are much less than on a whiffed b22 lol. f3, d2 and f23 your go to pokes in close with flash. you can't hand the frame advantage over to flash so easily since hes just going to put you into frame trap, into frame trap, into frame trap until you dont block an overhead. even if you aren't being punished, you let him turn the tide of he match in his favor. i dont like stand 3 as a poking tool in the match for that reason. after making flash block a f3, his backdash will be caught by a j3 so you can discourage him from backdashing after that. in this match, i feel like meter isnt really needed unless you somehow get flash full screen from you and want to chip him with low guns. theres a lot more i can say but im exhausted now so ill give ou more of an analysis later. this matchup gets talked about a lot so there is a ton of information all over the DS forums for it
Thanks for your reply. Flash players love to b22 all day and so far ive found that jumpback 3 if I read it will blow him up. I've heard that a regular lightning charge can be punished with a full combo starting with 323 but I tend to think he's too far away when actually playing the match so I have trouble remembering to try it. Also if I land a frame trap whether it's f3 or f23 I usually dash forward once in anticipation of them backdashing away and still get my 50/50.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Thanks for your reply. Flash players love to b22 all day and so far ive found that jumpback 3 if I read it will blow him up. I've heard that a regular lightning charge can be punished with a full combo starting with 323 but I tend to think he's too far away when actually playing the match so I have trouble remembering to try it. Also if I land a frame trap whether it's f3 or f23 I usually dash forward once in anticipation of them backdashing away and still get my 50/50.
the only problem with dashing towards him is he can still pop you out of your dash with d12 for dumb amounts of damage but you can still hit them out of any buttons with b1 or b2. lightning charge can be punished by 323 which is pretty sweet. if he meter burns it, he is at advantage unless you block the 1st hit crouching, then the 2nd hit will whiff even though it is labeled as a mid in the game. in that case you can stand up and 323 punish or go with d2, d2 sacrifices 3% damage while it bring them further into the corner.

TKB

Noob
the only problem with dashing towards him is he can still pop you out of your dash with d12 for dumb amounts of damage but you can still hit them out of any buttons with b1 or b2. lightning charge can be punished by 323 which is pretty sweet. if he meter burns it, he is at advantage unless you block the 1st hit crouching, then the 2nd hit will whiff even though it is labeled as a mid in the game. in that case you can stand up and 323 punish or go with d2, d2 sacrifices 3% damage while it bring them further into the corner.
I think if you read his back dash after a frame trap and immediately dash in he's still in recovery allowing you enough time for a mixup. Flash has decent recovery on his back dash.

ryublaze

Noob
Can anyone help me with out WW? I always feel at a disadvantage cuz her normals outrange his and for some reason I can't AA d2 her when she does the whip (might just be online though) so I've been using sword flip as an AA but that only does like 6-8%. Also her corner game is dumb and IMO is better than DS's.

Another match-up I want to know about is Batman cuz I've always thought it was 5-5 and it always feels dead even whenever I play against him. Can someone explain why this is a losing match-up (if it is)?

And I think GL is in talk of being even...idk I was just reading that GL match-up thread and people were saying it's even. I might change it to 5-5 if everyone agrees.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Can anyone help me with out WW? I always feel at a disadvantage cuz her normals outrange his and for some reason I can't AA d2 her when she does the whip (might just be online though) so I've been using sword flip as an AA but that only does like 6-8%. Also her corner game is dumb and IMO is better than DS's.

Another match-up I want to know about is Batman cuz I've always thought it was 5-5 and it always feels dead even whenever I play against him. Can someone explain why this is a losing match-up (if it is)?

And I think GL is in talk of being even...idk I was just reading that GL match-up thread and people were saying it's even. I might change it to 5-5 if everyone agrees.

in regards to GL i think that shit is at least 6-4 DS. DS has the advantage in the zoning game and its hard for lantern to close the distance, also lantern can't get any of his setups against DS because lol sword flip, so his main bullshit is severely crippled. also, after a hard knockdown, you can really go ham because all he has as a wakeup really is lift and it doesnt cover crossups at all and if you armor through it does like 0 damage.

As far WW goes, i have a really hard time with her. just take note that the Foxy frame trap of b1 into another b1 isnt a real frame trap and can be poked out of. she is almost always at plus so there really isnt much you can do. and yes, j3 you can't really anti air but dont be afraid to throw out sword flip as an antir air. 6-8% damage WAAAAAAYYY better than getting your d2 popped by a jump in or havig her get in on you and giving her bullshit plus frames. in the corner, her setups are very similar to DS's but she does more damage and has more shit that gives her plus frames so that is really annoying to deal with. in zoning, you have the advantage against most WW players because either they don't use tiara or can't do instant air demigoddess. dealing with tiarra is very similar to dealing with superman shit, just react to her dong it. just keep in mind that on block she has bullshit plus frames of course and if she does the air tiara, it is punishable from most heights (if not all). instant air demigoddess is a real dick. it will go over low guns and is completely safe on block against everyone in the cast and gets her in instantly. i haven't found an answer to this that isn't the obvious MB b3/f3. you should also consider that a lot of setups do in fact work on WW. b1u2 f3 d2 j2 f23 flip dash twice j3 works against her and will stuff out the DP, however the spinny will catch the non crossup version while the crossup version will cause the spinny to whiff and you can punish, so that could be your go to option when landing b1u2 from midscreen. as far as sword stance goes there are really 3 moves that you need to understand. d1 is 6 frames and is +4 on block, dont fuck with it. d2, dont fuck with it either. shield bash does mad chip but other than that it isnt scary at all. MB version i believe is plus and the regular version is punishable. she does take less chip damage so she can force you to approach her when she ha a life lead, but you just want to stay out of d1 range and not jump in for the most part. Overall, im more so lost in this matchup and ive been playing kdz for hours on end to no avail on how to deal with this character when played at the highest level.

Vagrant

Noob
in regards to GL i think that shit is at least 6-4 DS. DS has the advantage in the zoning game and its hard for lantern to close the distance, also lantern can't get any of his setups against DS because lol sword flip, so his main bullshit is severely crippled..
By this logic. No one can ever do setups against any player who uses a character with an invincible wake up.

I am adamant that this matchup is 5-5 and base my experience on fighting xeno, wafflez, and 187x

Yes you win the zoning war. His walkspeed however is faster than DS's back walk. He can get in, he just has to bulldog. His delayed rockets are a pain in the ass too.

Lift makes dashes a risk, makes any jump in at him midscreen, suicide. You are never safe against lantern at mid range

Footsie war turns into b1 vs. f3/mbf3.

On wake up you have two options. Throw out spin/flip flip is unsafe and spin can be neutral jumped. Or you can guess OH/low.

Flying ninja vortex works great in this matchup.

B1 is so stupid.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
By this logic. No one can ever do setups against any player who uses a character with an invincible wake up.
its not because it has mad invuln frames. its because its 7 frames and the hitbox. a lot of characters have wakeups that can be neutral jumped and b13 trait lift dash j3, they just gotta hold that shit.

Vagrant

Noob
its not because it has mad invuln frames. its because its 7 frames and the hitbox. a lot of characters have wakeups that can be neutral jumped and b13 trait lift dash j3, they just gotta hold that shit.
My point was that the move is unsafe. And instead of a setup he can make the choice to block and be rewarded the same thing as a successful setup would reward him with if he is right.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I played King a lot in the WW matchup and my idea that it was even at worst seemed pretty sound. She is another character that must play the game no matter what, which immediately leaves her prey to all of DS's strong grounded options. Luckily, she has air dash to help circumvent most of the grounded zoning, but sword flip is a very decent answer to airdash shenanigans. At this point you're basically playing a footsie game with a strong ground char vs another really strong grounded char. Her pressure is + frames but it's whatever, she will have to commit to a b2 to get you off of crouch, and after a blocked b23 her pressure will be surrendered for the moment. If they decide to go for the b2 xx whip grab, you can duck and punish. Her dashing in is met by d2 since she has one of those long dashes.

Of course if either character is cornered the match gets a lot more difficult for them, so I'll consider it a wash. I think the reason DS stays super competitive is because most of WW's way to get in usually keep her safe (Demigoddess, air dashes) at the cost of surrendering her advantage most of the time. I feel like the real way she's going to open you up is throws (whatever) or b23, which will get obvious at a certain point and earn her a pretty whatever knockdown. Since DS can fight her grounded game with his fairly strong one, and her normal aerial advantage is somewhat of a bill here, I see it being a fairly even matchup for the time being.

(Note: I haven't played against SS a lot, but while she does not take chip that much, her approach is still incredibly one dimensional since it will only be shield dash or dash up f3 or something like that. I do not forsee it being a game changer)

As far as GL, I definitely think that is leading towards advantage DS. GL has to constantly play your game, given he can only walk in. Lift punishing lgs is tight midscreen, and as we all know his oki is godlike, but I don't know if his strengths there outweight how he can't play his projectile game that well beyond hidden missiles, which will just push you back, or use b1 without risking the potential backdash into b1 bnb. The game favoring runaway zone-y characters really helps here.

Drizzle

Jump and shoot.
Demigoddess isn't safe unless you're absolutely perfect in your spacing/execution. Sword flip should punish.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
My point was that the move is unsafe. And instead of a setup he can make the choice to block and be rewarded the same thing as a successful setup would reward him with if he is right.
i mean yeah you dont wake up every time but jus because an option is unsafe doesnt make it a bad option. in the case of sword flip, you have to put the guessing game on him to guess whether or not i will wake up. you can always do things on wakup that beak blocking, like waking up and grabbing or b1/b2

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
regardless it gets rid of his setups that involve jump ins which i personally think are his best ones. he still has the cross up f3/b1 after a lift but i dont find it too hard to scare lanterns into doing nothing because successfully landing a sword flip instantly puts the pace of the match in your favor. basically your oki options are way better than his because he has a hard time dealing with your wakeups. in oki scenarios, he is always forced to play your game because instead of worrying whether hes going to do b1 or f3 crossup/non crossup, you are just guessing whether hes going to do something or do nothing.

Last edited: