What's new

Nut Punch Stagger - Strategies

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
Just creating a thread for sharing post Nut Punch Stagger State strategies - Block strings, mixups, and throw setups.

I glanced through the threads, couldn't really find a topic that best described this topic. Although its probably discussed many times during Cage's post.

As the nut punch leaves your opponent standing and in a special recovery state known as "Stagger State". They can't be immediately thrown, they can Breaker your next attack, and they can Block any follow up attack, which we assume they will.

A few things we want to consider in this thread:

What is the highest % damage block string possible or relatively safe that's possible? This is important, since your giving up a bit of damage by ending your combos in nut punch. Which hopefully you can make back + more with the follow up block string. I suppose you could go into the full 4 Bars of EX Forceball strings, but for arguments sake, we won't. As it's legitimate, feel free to post it.

What mixups or throw setups can be achieved off of the stagger state?

Whether or not, the corner is a consideration in your follow up block string?

Reo's String: (Not sure if it's his, but saw him do it)
Cross Over Jump Punch, FP, FP, pause, F+FK, FK, B+FK = 9% Chip (according to training mode)

One that I'm currently working on or using:
Axe Kick (F+BK), FP, FP, pause, F+FK, FK, B+FK =10% Chip
* The Axe Kick is +1 Frame advantage, plus must be blocked standing, so sets them up for the FP which is 8 frame startup. I find it really hard to test these out, playing by myself.

OK, time for the community to share. Thanks.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I never do a specific string, because if you do a specific set of strings in an order your opponent will catch on quick, Its always good to just mix up parts of the puzzle. Just make sure you do attacks that if they were blocked push your opponent away.

For instance, After a Dickpunch I'll do a Jump Punch into F+4, Normally this is blocked so I will sometimes follow up with a B+3 right after the F+4.

If I notice my opponent doesn't get caught with the B+3 I will use 2, 1, throw/ if they like to poke you out of the pressure 4 4 or an ex dick punch/ if they go for the uppercut Id use just a regular dick punch.

I never do a specific string, because if you do a specific set of strings in an order your opponent will catch on quick, Its always good to just mix up parts of the puzzle. Just make sure you do attacks that if they were blocked push your opponent away.

For instance, After a Dickpunch I'll do a Jump Punch into F+4, Normally this is blocked so I will sometimes follow up with a B+3 right after the F+4.

If I notice my opponent doesn't get caught with the B+3 I will use 2, 1, throw/ if they like to poke you out of the pressure 4 4 or an ex dick punch/ if they go for the uppercut Id use just a regular dick punch.
This is really helpful stuff. I just picked up Cage earlier this week after watching some old stream of reo and saw him deal enormous chip damage and land a lot of nutpunches to continue his blockstring assaults. It's a great strategy if you're extremely comfortable with all of Cage's quick combos and can anticipate opponents moves. I saw in some series of matches he would get better at anticipating his opponent than his opponent would be able to adapt to his tactics.

Right now I'm in a stage where I'm still thinking about my next move rather than just intuitively mashing the right block strings and combos in. I'm going to start incorporating that 4 4 and ex dick punch because I do get poked out of pressure more than I want to. And i'll absolutely try that jump punch f+4 - b+3 - 2,1 throw idea. I like the thinking because if someone is blocking that whole string they're likely in "block mode" and not going to be fast enough to get in a poke before the throw lands.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
After nutpunching my opponent, I usually choose one of this options

1) f3,3xxEXforceball or fr3,2XXEXforceball
2) 2,1; throw
3) fjp; 11; throw
4) fjp; 11; f3,2xxEXforceball

I don't think it's a good choice to use fjp;F4 because the opponent can use d1 or a fast special on reaction after blocking fjp.
I also know from experience that F4;11 it's unsafe, because the opponent can duck 11 after blocking F4.

When the opponent is cornered, I think the very best choice (if you want to use your meter) is:

F3,3,b3xxEXforceball; repeat

I am not sure, but looks like there's no way to escape.

* Don't forget that the EXforceball strings don't work against Reptile and Ermac

After nutpunching my opponent, I usually choose one of this options

1) f3,3xxEXforceball or fr3,2XXEXforceball
2) 2,1; throw
3) fjp; 11; throw
4) fjp; 11; f3,2xxEXforceball

I don't think it's a good choice to use fjp;F4 because the opponent can use d1 or a fast special on reaction after blocking fjp.
I also know from experience that F4;11 it's unsafe, because the opponent can duck 11 after blocking F4.

When the opponent is cornered, I think the very best choice (if you want to use your meter) is:

F3,3,b3xxEXforceball; repeat

I am not sure, but looks like there's no way to escape.

* Don't forget that the EXforceball strings don't work against Reptile and Ermac
When you're against Reptile and Ermac, do you simply use f3 + 3 + EX forceball? I'm guessing those characters react between the b3 and the ex forceball.

Tremloc

Noob
When you're against Reptile and Ermac, do you simply use f3 + 3 + EX forceball? I'm guessing those characters react between the b3 and the ex forceball.
no it's because their hitboxes are lower and they're able to duck the forceballs without being hit by them.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Unfortunately they got a weird hitbox, and the 2nd forceball goes through their head without hitting them (lol)

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Some people just hold block while stunned, I like to start by doing D+4~F+3,2....etc. The D+4 puts you at advantage on hit and gives you a hair more damage.

other people immediately D+block. I'll test the waters with 2,1 and do a F+2 if i think they'll stay down. or just F+4

The big thing is to always mix it up. If they never get out you just chip chip chip it all away.

1. 4,4 (blocked) throw
2. jip, 2,1 (blocked) throw
3. F3,2 (hit) nut punch
4. F3,3, EX forceball. If they crouch block, replace the forceball by either finishing the F3 string or throwing.
5. jip, B3 or F4, dash 11, dash 11, dash 44, nut punch
6. Sweep (blocked), F3,3,B3
7. D4 (hit) F3,2 (hit) nutpunch/(standing blocked) EX forceball

I too decided to pick up Cage after watching an old stream video of Reo's Cage and have consciously tried to model mine after his. I have no idea why I don't see more of Cage online, especially since so many online players like rush down. If a good Cage player gets in your face the guessing game begins and then it's usually lights out.

I don't use Enhanced Force Ball much but if I did it would probably be used mostly after F33B3. The B3 pushes you away from your opponent and gives them a chance to do something, so Enhanced Force Ball could be a way to play mind games (which is what mixups do). I wouldn't do this too often however, as I would get predictable. Sometimes it's good not to do anything after the B3, bait out the jump (most people jump) and uppercut their ass, or flipkick. Or if you're confident they're still gonna commit to the block, go for another block string. I like to spam F32, but I like to mix it up with F3, 11, 21B4. The good thing about 21B4 is that most people expect 21F2, and block high. Unfortunately this does not give advantage on hit, is punishable on block, and you can't dial in a special like Enhanced Force Ball to cover your ass. It's a good mixup however, and on hit you can bait out a really stupid jump and uppercut that mofo (or flip kick, I have this bad habit of flip kicking too much).

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
Out of curiosity, does a connected f3, 3 b3 string leave you at advantage? Or does the f3 3 need to be confirmed into nutpunch.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Anybody else run into an opponent who ducks the 2nd EN Forceball on reaction? It's quite annoying and I'm considering not even using this trap anymore

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Anybody else run into an opponent who ducks the 2nd EN Forceball on reaction? It's quite annoying and I'm considering not even using this trap anymore
If you're gonna do that you need to use a string that jails them into standing block once you hit them, like F3,3 Ex Forceball. Cant duck under that

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I've been doing F3, 2 into EN FB. So you are saying F3, 3 into EN FB, they cannot duck under? Just want to make sure I understand it

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I've been doing F3, 2 into EN FB. So you are saying F3, 3 into EN FB, they cannot duck under? Just want to make sure I understand it
you can transition to ducking after EX forceballs are blocked always, but not in the middle of the jailing string (be it F3,3 or F3,2 doesn't matter, F3,3 does more chip tho)

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
If they block F3, 2 or F3, 3, is it a good idea to do EN FB? Is it a better idea to do D1, D3, 11, or throw?

arydious

Noob
All this si really good i didnt realize JC was at such an advantage for rush down. I have only played with him a little bit, mostly trying to get the dash 2 dash 2 dash 2 44 combo, his combos are really tough to hit just cause you cant really hit confirm his stuff.

i play a lot of offline play with the local scene and i can do a lot of his nasty combos but for some reason when i play online everything wiffs.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Reo's String: (Not sure if it's his, but saw him do it)
Cross Over Jump Punch, FP, FP, pause, F+FK, FK, B+FK = 9% Chip (according to training mode)

One that I'm currently working on or using:
Axe Kick (F+BK), FP, FP, pause, F+FK, FK, B+FK =10% Chip
* The Axe Kick is +1 Frame advantage, plus must be blocked standing, so sets them up for the FP which is 8 frame startup. I find it really hard to test these out, playing by myself.

OK, time for the community to share. Thanks.
I believe you can uppercut Cage out of both of those after you block the jump punch.
You can certainly stop both with D1.

I just go straight back into F3 setups after my crossup punch.
I hate getting uppercutted by smart players.

It's something most players aren't even trying to abuse.
Any normal you can duck under, you can uppercut for free.

Any normal that's slow, you can stop blocking, and D1.
MK9 is deep.