What's new

NRS Speaks and Confirms MK11 is Officially Done

What is your opinion on this news?

• Good news to me

• Bad news to me

• I'm indifferent / doesn't affect me either way

Results are only viewable after voting.
Man, I gotta say, I'm surprised. There was a 4chan thing kickin around that guessed like 13 different Summer Game Fest announcements, and I wanna say 11 of them ended up being right. The missing ones were Final Fantasy Tactics and some unnamed MK11 DLC. Huh.

Anyway, I'm just sad I didn't get to play dress up with Ermac. He had the dopest design of basically any video game character in history and he ended up as a fuckin kebab. Oh well, what're you gonna do. Here's hoping he ends up as a kharacter in MK vs DC vs Marvel vs XMen vs Def Jam vs Primal Rage.

Wigy

There it is...
I want a written apology from the shills saying patch was coming after pro series etc.

Patch support was terrible. Crumbs every 5 months.

Covid is no excuse. Ive played other games from much smaller developers with much much much better patch support.

These health changes for balance are even more of a spit in the face knowing nothing else is coming.

Lost massive amount of good faith as a company for me. Its one thing making a boring game, another making a game with barely any support outside dlc where they can make money.

Mkx getting reinstalled. May have had its issues but at least it was fun and they made an effort patching it.

Last edited:

Komatose

The Prettiest
I don’t really care. The game was fun but was nothing I could take serious. Hoping the next MK game is a lot more fast paced and has less guest characters. Goodbye MK11. I will not miss you.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Just an FYI of sorts. If you love MK11 and still want to play, you should. There will still be plenty of people playing. Hell, I’ve been playing UMK3 for like 14 years and the game has been out for like over 25 years, lol. If you love MK11, there’s absolutely no reason for you to stop playing just because there will be no new content.

Covid is undefeated. He made Netflix retire from streaming for 2 years. Hollywood couldn’t put out any movies while he was around. COVID even made retail stores close for 6 months so video game companies had no chance. Only a few crazy humans gave COVID the finger and dropped content while he was walking these streets.
Definitely not wanting to go off-topic here, but you know Covid is still around, right?

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
I just dont understand how they cant assemble a seperate team for continued support. I mean really, MK11 made a shit ton of money, they have the money and resources to make it happen. SFV is still being h supported while SF6 is being developed.

DC King

Noob
Just an FYI of sorts. If you love MK11 and still want to play, you should. There will still be plenty of people playing. Hell, I’ve been playing UMK3 for like 14 years and the game has been out for like over 25 years, lol. If you love MK11, there’s absolutely no reason for you to stop playing just because there will be no new content.

Definitely not wanting to go off-topic here, but you know Covid is still around, right?
Yeah I know it’s still going on was just taking jabs at the notion COVID is the blame for the lack of content

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I just dont understand how they cant assemble a seperate team for continued support. I mean really, MK11 made a shit ton of money, they have the money and resources to make it happen. SFV is still being h supported while SF6 is being developed.
MK11 was also being supported while the next game was in development. Until COVID + vacancies opening in key roles put the new game so far behind that it was necessary to bring everyone on board to get things back on track.

Some of these decisions are ultimately made by WB as the publisher since they have the final say on scheduling.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
MK11 was also being supported while the next game was in development. Until COVID + vacancies opening in key roles put the new game so far behind that it was necessary to bring everyone on board to get things back on track.

Some of these decisions are ultimately made by WB as the publisher since they have the final say on scheduling.
Also, people still don’t seem to understand how NRS operates as far as their business model is concerned. I’ve been over this a dozen times, don’t really feel like beating a dead horse or sounding like a broken record. But one point I hope people start to understand is that NRS heavily supporting the competitive/tournament community has very little (if any), financial benefit to them. They do it because they love the community and appreciate the hardcore players and base. But they don’t HAVE to do it. Very simplified version but like I said, I’ve been over this so many times, lol.

I'm kinda upset because I wanted to see more characters, but I really can't be mad. MK9 had 4 DLC characters, Injustice had 6, MKX had 8, IJ2 had 9, MK11 had 12 and a story expansion. You could make an argument that Turtles/Triborg shouldn't count as one character, but it's definitely their "most supported" game.
It's really my own fault for seeing "will be supported longer" and not taking it as "slightly longer than usual". I kinda thought it would be a Tekken 7 type deal, but that's on me and me alone.
Overall I really enjoyed MK11 and will be looking forward to whatever they do next. I just hope they get the unlock/customisation systems right in that one.

Stanlos

Noob
I suspect that NRS had limited control amid the corporate goings on between Att and WB. So I am sympathetic. Also MK11has been juicy enough to keep me satisfied

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
These health changes for balance are even more of a spit in the face knowing nothing else is coming.
A bit beyond the main topic of this thread, but differing hp values is more often than not a terrible way to balance characters. HP values do matter, but devs typically don’t account for the fact that strong-but-low hp characters have everything they need to offset their starting disadvantage. They have access to their superior options the whole game, whereas a a character with more hp but less effective tools is just at a strict disadvantage the instant your glass cannon uses their better kit to even the odds.

It can work but the differences in HP have to be absolutely massive (>20% imo) for it to actually matter because you need it to translate into increase/decrease in opportunities for the character. Like you need SF4 Seth or GG Potemkin levels of frailty or bulk.

Notice how in almost every FG it’s almost never high health characters that end up top tier.

trufenix

bye felicia
This kind of sappy fatalist garbage is why they wait as long as they do. You'd think the discs and servers were literally going to explode.

trufenix

bye felicia
Like, we literally JUST had a hype tournament for MKX. I can't wait to hear that crap about mk11. We miss breakaway so much! Krushing blows were so much better!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This kind of sappy fatalist garbage is why they wait as long as they do. You'd think the discs and servers were literally going to explode.
I mean tbf, I don’t remember them ever announcing something like this in previous NRS games. I think in the past, all they may have done was either announced the new game, or announced them working on the new game. But they never said they were going to stop supporting the current game, it was more just assumed. So a lot of people would still hold on to hope of another patch and some even held out hope for more DLC.

Aside from that, I do agree in some respect. Some people are acting like the game is now dead and even if they still enjoy the game, that now they have to stop playing. Or even that now, no more tournaments are going to be held for the game. The only difference this makes tournament wise is probably no more NRS backed tournaments, and obviously no more “versions” of the game with new balance patches.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
As someone who is in contact with people who are in the game industry in japan I can very much tell you for a fact that is not true at all.
Ok.

COVID didn't hit Japan nearly as hard, and the work culture/attitudes about requiring people to come in are much different:

Perhaps Arcsys is different? But Capcom has been working onsite since November.

My friends there have been in their offices for the the better part of the last year. The situation there is not as severe as in the USA where NRS was shuttered for over a year.

Last edited:

Rizz091

Noob
I'm glad this game didn't continue to get support and hope whatever is coming next is way better than MK11. I dropped this game after a few months, the only nrs game I can say I truly disliked. Just way too many awful design decisions behind a foundation that could've been good.

There's nothing they could have done to fix this game in my eyes outside of just making a new game with how much I wanted thrown out. So glad a new game is coming!

DarkSado

Noob
Ok.

COVID didn't hit Japan nearly as hard, and the work culture/attitudes about requiring people to come in are much different:

Perhaps Arcsys is different? But Capcom has been working onsite since November.

My friends there have been in their offices for the the better part of the last year. The situation there is not as severe as in the USA where NRS was shuttered for over a year.
You telling me this billion dollar company that made so much money from this game working at home because of Covid can't even do balance patches??? LMAO