What's new

[Nov 24, 2012] Ultimate Gaming Spot Tournament (DOA5, AE, TTT2, MK, UMVC3) (Dedham, MA)

Deftonesrc

Electrical Engineering bitch!
I feel I have trouble with Skarlet in general. She's a hard character for me personally to play because I don't get much MU experience outside of when I play you. He beat me before, and he did at the GU tournament that you didn't make it to. I had trouble with him until I was able to get in on him and expose his clear misconception on how to deal with Cage's frametraps. He was whooping me in casuals, and I really can't explain how momentum shifted in my favor. I utilized pokes to leave myself positive and he caught me only once or twice with spin during my pressure. It's all fine and dandy if he wants to quit the game, add another one to the list. But I just find it interesting that he wasn't as upset about losing to Steven B as he was about losing to me.
Yeah, I dont understand that at all really. Its all good though man, I try to not approach anything like that though. I cant beat Steve, but I would love nothing more than to just sit there and grind that shit out. The only difference between you and him is that he rarely drops opportunities, he stays calm. Thats a dangerous situation against a cage. We need to organize another event maybe after school is out. We can all level up

CRUM

Noob
Yeah, I dont understand that at all really. Its all good though man, I try to not approach anything like that though. I cant beat Steve, but I would love nothing more than to just sit there and grind that shit out. The only difference between you and him is that he rarely drops opportunities, he stays calm. Thats a dangerous situation against a cage. We need to organize another event maybe after school is out. We can all level up
Definitely I'm down for a biweekly level up session

Hey I just wanna give a shoutout to everyone who tuned into the stream. We usually have a single digit number of viewers for the UGS stream, so when I saw we had 50 for MK I had to do a double take at that number. Thanks for watching, hope you enjoyed watching the matches, hope my commentary was up to your demanding standards. I do think it's cool we got some good players in New England all of a sudden; between the Steves, Deftones, and Crum, we got some legit competition now where blueNINE can't just come in and take everyone's money for free. Watching grand finals I was definitely thinking "man if I'd actually entered this I would have been obliterated".

Deftonesrc

Electrical Engineering bitch!
Hey I just wanna give a shoutout to everyone who tuned into the stream. We usually have a single digit number of viewers for the UGS stream, so when I saw we had 50 for MK I had to do a double take at that number. Thanks for watching, hope you enjoyed watching the matches, hope my commentary was up to your demanding standards. I do think it's cool we got some good players in New England all of a sudden; between the Steves, Deftones, and Crum, we got some legit competition now where blueNINE can't just come in and take everyone's money for free. Watching grand finals I was definitely thinking "man if I'd actually entered this I would have been obliterated".
You were right. . . I have no idea how to fight baraka. And on top of that, I hate using skarlet in tournament because of her insane execution. But one thing you did mention while I was standing back tossing daggers, you said something to the effect of them only taking 1/2% damage and asked why I was even bothering. . . Meter building my man. If I have a breaker AND an ex red dash, I can win a match where I am down 50% provided I dont drop the combo =)

Honestly I used skarlet because he didnt want to fight freddy, so I figured why not. I wanted it to be fun for him, so I wasnt going to just sit back and abuse barakas weaknesses by tossing gloves. I need to get back into using skarlet though, but since I can only practice using online, its frustrating because lag shuts down most of my tightly windowed combos. Next time we meet, give me some casuals so I Can level her up.

You were right. . . I have no idea how to fight baraka. And on top of that, I hate using skarlet in tournament because of her insane execution. But one thing you did mention while I was standing back tossing daggers, you said something to the effect of them only taking 1/2% damage and asked why I was even bothering. . . Meter building my man. If I have a breaker AND an ex red dash, I can win a match where I am down 50% provided I dont drop the combo =)

Honestly I used skarlet because he didnt want to fight freddy, so I figured why not. I wanted it to be fun for him, so I wasnt going to just sit back and abuse barakas weaknesses by tossing gloves. I need to get back into using skarlet though, but since I can only practice using online, its frustrating because lag shuts down most of my tightly windowed combos. Next time we meet, give me some casuals so I Can level her up.
Absolutely. I actually have a Baraka if you want to learn that matchup more. I mained the character for a short time and I know how to do all his cheap shit (or at least, Baraka's closest equivalent of cheap shit).

Deftonesrc you should definitely keep Freddy for Cage. It's not Cage's toughest MU but it's definitely one he has trouble in. Or you can always keep Kenshi for Cage haha. We should definitely grind Freddy-Cage out at some point.

CRUM we should do more Cage mirrors too. It took me a little while to get comfortable with that MU.

blueNINE we can definitely grind out KL-Cage too.

Also I forgot to say GGs to FDynasty. A lot of people left all of a sudden when I was watching some SSF4 action haha.

Alex_Smith

The artist formerly known as blueNINE.
Thanks to Gill Hustle and UGS for running the tournament, and to everyone who helped out with running and commentating for the stream.

CRUM
Deftonesrc
Crosstalk
FordCruller
MK Peanuts

It seems some explanation is in order. TL;DR at the bottom, if you don't feel like reading the proper explanation.

First of all, let me say that despite my comments about the game and and Cage, I do not mean to discredit CRUM, Steven, or Cage players in general. I respect players who are good at this game, and I respect those who put in the work necessary to be good with their character. (Even if it's Cage, Kabal, or Cyrax.) I appreciate the fact that local players are coming out to tournaments and trying to get better.

I've been playing this game competitively since it was released, and have entered tournaments at many locals, regional tournaments, various majors, and at MLG. As a lot of players, I feel like the game has an inordinate amount of problems, including all kinds of glitches, bugs, and balance issues. Sometimes I can look past that, and sometimes I don't want to. I've lost ~75% health to Cyrax because of just one input bug. I've lost a top 16 tournament match at a major because of the inconsistent inputs in this game. I've witnessed someone initiate a[n unintended] parry glitch when they missed a punish because of an input bug, in a top 8 match at a major. Sometimes MK9 is really ridiculous...haha.

I'm not one to throw around saying that I might quit a game; it's not something that I say on a whim, and it certainly doesn't feel good. I stopped playing MK after Evo because I was fed up with the game, but got 3rd place at Summer Jam after not having really played in a long time, and decided to give it another go. Getting 4th and 5th place at two locals in a row because of some up and coming players that I'd never heard of who counterpicked with Cage definitely made me salty, and gave me a taste of what it's like to play against a good Cage player (even though I was already familiar with what the character can do). After Brainbox, I put in some work to learn about the matchup, but didn't really get to practice much or play it very much until UGS, where I ended up losing in the Cage matchup again! Hence my frustration.

You might want to note, CRUM, that I might've seemed more upset about losing to you because at that point, I had been knocked out of the tournament, and I also felt like I didn't play the matchup as well against you as I did against Steven, despite having lost to both of you. Regardless, I definitely lost to both of you, not just to Cage. I apologize if either of you feel like I was discrediting you or not making that acknowledgement.

I do still think that Cage's pressure is pretty ridiculous, what with a lot of his strings being 0 on block, building meter, all while he's mixing up and doing chip. Also, after doing some more research, I found out that there's a bug that makes f3 +9 if you try to jump out after blocking it crouching. (WTF?) It can definitely be off-putting to get blown up by Cage's relatively safe, extremely effective, and reasonably straightforward offense, and it does seem kind of OP to me, along with Cyrax and Kabal, but it's hardly unbeatable. I have been learning more about the matchup, and developing strategies to win it.

I have my problems with MK9, but I have decided to keep playing, and just get better.

TL;DR: MK9 is messed up, Cage and some other characters are pretty silly, I will keep playing despite this, and it's time to level up.

Heard you drove players over the cliff =)
Nope, I did not drive players over the cliff. It was apparently my character. maaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn.
CRUM would be correct there. It was definitely MK9, all its problems, and Mr. Johnny Cage that really made me consider not playing anymore, not any particular player. Even Perfect Legend stopped playing the game at a point because the game is so messed up. MK Peanuts doesn't play the game seriously because of it, even.

CRUM and the other local players don't make me want to stop playing; they do quite the opposite! There being a scene in New England again, the fact that there are players around who enjoy the game and also want to play seriously and get better, and the fact that these players are giving me a challenge all makes me want to play MORE, not STOP playing. Please don't let that be mistaken.

SO WHEN ARE WE GOING TO PLAY AGAIN?! To the New England thread!

CRUM

Noob
blueNINE. Nice to see you reconsidered quitting the game. But I have one gripe with your post. I read it relatively fast but I'm gonna let you know. I did NOT, nor have I ever counter picked you with Cage. I've mained Cage from the day I picked up the game and that includes before Curbo really revolutionized him at MLG Columbus.

Steve A ALWAYS counterpicks haha, that's what blueNINE is talking about. He picked Cage after losing with KL at GU, and played Cage from the get go at BB. I play Cage 95% of the time, but I may pull out Jax or Kabal for more troublesome MUs like Kabal/Kenshi/SZ.

Damn, really sounds like I picked the wrong one to miss D:
Next time, I'll be bringing a new and improved Raiden, and I'm starting up again on a couple characters I dropped. My goal is not to be a free game for whoever draws me, and I'd like to think I'm getting close to making that a reality :p

Alex_Smith

The artist formerly known as blueNINE.
blueNINE. Nice to see you reconsidered quitting the game. But I have one gripe with your post. I read it relatively fast but I'm gonna let you know. I did NOT, nor have I ever counter picked you with Cage. I've mained Cage from the day I picked up the game and that includes before Curbo really revolutionized him at MLG Columbus.
I hope you'll take a moment to give it a thorough read, especially since several parts address you in particular.

I understand that you main Cage. Didn't know that you did so before the Curbo Cage revolution. Haha. But in any case, don't worry; I don't think you just pick Cage because I pick Lao!