What's new

No chip damage the last 5% of health?

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Think about it: how many matches are lost because you got locked in a bullshit blockstring with 5% of life and got chipped out? Would doing this create more hype matches? Or does the threat of the chip out force players to make better reads than they would if there was the 5% safety net? What about 3%?

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Personally i hate chip on EVERY normal, i think only strings with weapons should chip (and of course specials), but i think the game would be much better if meter is built though block strings only

As for your idea, i think that would actually be a cool game mechanic because its not cheap at all and it can be a game changer if done right

id say 10%

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Personally i hate chip on EVERY normal, i think only strings with weapons should chip (and of course specials), but i think the game would be much better if meter is built though block strings only

As for your idea, i think that would actually be a cool game mechanic because its not cheap at all and it can be a game changer if done right

id say 10%
I think normals should do chip, but what if some characters received no chip damage from normals at all, or some less than others? That could be a huge character balancing mechanic.

The problem with ONLY blockstrings building meter is that it puts defensive characters at a disadvantage (Sub-Zero) and rushdown characters at an even bigger advantage than they already are (Johnny Cage). I think the way meter builds now is fine, it just needs to be altered by character.

10% seems too generous, however there's always the threat of the throw (12%). I still say 5% because it gives you just enough to not lose to a bullshit blockstring, but that's all you get.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization

id say 10%
some characters rely on chip. skarlet, kung lao, johnny cage, kabal, sonya would be much less a problem without chip. jax and raiden and cyrax would dominate.

Flagg

Noob
Hmm.

If Kano does a jip, 33, ex up ball that does 10% chip damage.

Im not sure if people think stuff like that is fair.

Perhaps a better way to balance is that you can combo break if when you are blocking.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I would agree with 1%.

Just to be clear, this is no chip damage AT ALL. No chip from specials or teched throws (I think teched throws do 1%, not sure).

Perhaps a better way to balance is that you can combo break if when you are blocking.
More often than not, you won't have a breaker. I think no chip on 1% solves that problem.

Hmm.

If Kano does a jip, 33, ex up ball that does 10% chip damage.

Im not sure if people think stuff like that is fair.

So Kano risks a jump in and uses a bar of meter and gets 10% damage if you block. Yeah, it's fair. You get (generally speaking) 25% for anti airing him without a bar of meter. I like chip damage, I like chip-outs. I do not think this is something in MK9 that should be adjusted very much, or even at all.

When your health gets too low, you know you can't block. You shouldn't be getting caught in too many "bullshit blockstrings"

aj1701

Noob
Chip is fine. Don't want to lose being chipped out? Dont let yourself get that low on life.

Some of the things people have been crying about lately have been in mk since the beginning. I like it, it makes mk unique. I'm tired of hearing how mk should be like other fighting games.

Flagg

Noob
So Kano risks a jump in and uses a bar of meter and gets 10% damage if you block. Yeah, it's fair. You get (generally speaking) 25% for anti airing him without a bar of meter. I like chip damage, I like chip-outs. I do not think this is something in MK9 that should be adjusted very much, or even at all.

When your health gets too low, you know you can't block. You shouldn't be getting caught in too many "bullshit blockstrings"
Believe it or not, you can get a jip if the situation is right. And like the OP said, if he's down to his last 5% and I do this, i win. What are you talking about " i can AA this" so you have the ability to AA every cross over, every jip, no matter what the situation?

I've nothing against chip-outs. If there was no chip damage, this game would turn into SSF IV which would suck.

Flagg

Noob
I would agree with 1%.

Just to be clear, this is no chip damage AT ALL. No chip from specials or teched throws (I think teched throws do 1%, not sure).

More often than not, you won't have a breaker. I think no chip on 1% solves that problem.
Okay, so you're down to 1% and normal strings wont do chip damage.

What's to stop the opponent just doing a 21 special?

Game over still.

Keep it moist

Nerf Demander
i like the chip factor it just means that what ever you did to cause you to be in that position you should remember to look out for and not let it happen again learn from your mistakes

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
lol at the kano jip meter 10% chip.

are you seriously complaining about losing 4-5% of your life to a blockstring?you got caught in it you deserve to get chipped,don't like it?AA/poke/play footsies,easy as that.

Please don't tell me you want a game mechanic to cover up your weakness as a player,go play SFxT.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
You guys aren't reading what I'm saying. I'm not saying MK should be like other fighting games.

I'm saying chip damage should just be another character dynamic. What if one character takes no chip damage, but builds little meter? What if another character takes a shitload of chip damage but builds insane meter?

As for making the last 1% chip-free (at least from normals), I'm just trying to gauge what people think forces players to think more and create more mind games: how it is now or the last sliver of life giving you that last chance.

Personally, I've chipped out players and been chipped out about an even number of times. I just thought something like this would extend a round a few more seconds or longer and possibly create more hype, but maybe I'm wrong. *shrug*

Keep it moist

Nerf Demander
thats the thing now Grand your saying you would like characters to be more special not only different moves and animation or looks but also how they work within the games engine...like for example take sfxt characters have different health levels different walk speeds and stuff.
Mk has that to a degree different walk speeds, but everyone has the same health, if you were going to propose that as a possible change to the game you would have to change a lot of things to make it balanced but then again mk is about as balanced as a fat man on a tightline

aj1701

Noob
You guys aren't reading what I'm saying. I'm not saying MK should be like other fighting games.

I'm saying chip damage should just be another character dynamic. What if one character takes no chip damage, but builds little meter? What if another character takes a shitload of chip damage but builds insane meter?

As for making the last 1% chip-free (at least from normals), I'm just trying to gauge what people think forces players to think more and create more mind games: how it is now or the last sliver of life giving you that last chance.
You said you hate losing by getting chipped out, and that its why you want the change.

Think about it: how many matches are lost because you got locked in a bullshit blockstring with 5% of life and got chipped out?
What creates hype its the guy with 5% making a comeback knowing any hit can finish him. Not some bs youre getting owed game had to change to protect you.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

Making the last 1% of life chip-free wouldn't even have any effect on a match up anyway except maybe Quan-Chi's rune trap. This is besides the point, as this mechanic would be for MK10 where the matchups will be completely different anyway.
what about subzero?other than 22/2/slide mixup and a throw he can't do shit,212 is nullified and his overhead is easily fuzzy guarded.

quan chi?other than the rune trap his overhead is as slow as george bush.

johnny?why block low?f33b3?nah,no mixup,there's no more chip damage right?no reason not to block high,f4?see it coming from a mile away.

sektor?122 and leg stance,122 you block standing and leg stance you poke.

raiden,lol i dont need to explain.

ermac?one slowoverhead.

i know,but sfxt already has what you're looking for,gems to cover up for a player's weakness

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Chip damage is a large part of aggressive play. Without chip damage you could just fuzzy block aggressive characters like Kung Lao and Kabal and have no penalty for it. Chip damage is what motivates people to stop blocking and get the fuck out of your opponent's blockstrings. And since they are trying to get out, the opponent has to try to stay in. Thats a really large part of the game, and its fun to make reads when the opponent will try to hit back or try to jump out of your pressure.

Without chip damage pressure would be nonexistent. It would create less hype matches imo, cause you can just block for as long as you want. !% or 10% doesnt matter, i dont like it.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Chip is one of the things that makes this such an offensive game. Take that away and it's another reason to block all day.
Okay, forget my original idea. I think this should be a character-specific mechanic.

Chip damage is just another mechanic in MK that should be experimented with. I'm not saying we should get rid of it, I even said in the 3rd post of this thread that normals should do chip.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
you don't have to write the exact words.
I did I even quoted what you said. Bs block string was in your op. Your adjetive, not mine.
I was merely presenting both sides of the argument, guys. I also said this: "Or does the threat of the chip out force players to make better reads than they would if there was the 5% safety net?"

Let me repeat this reply I made to Scoot: Okay, forget my original idea. I think this should just be a character-specific mechanic.

Chip damage is just another mechanic in MK that should be experimented with. I NEVER SAID IT SHOULD BE COMPLETELY REMOVED, I even said in the 3rd post of this thread that normals should do chip.