What's new

Question New to fighting games, where to begin?

Vogen

Noob
Hello all!
mortal kombat xl is my first major fighting game, and I underestimated how seriously others enjoy this type of game.
I beat the story, and have been watching kombat cup and see that there is tons of information about each character that I need to learn, if this is my first introduction, where do I go from here?
Do I simply choose a character and go into training mode and just learn random combos? Do I do the challenge towers over and over again?
I guess I tried online and got stomped and have no idea how to improve from here. The commentators explain what the players or doing but I don't know how I begin to even try to get to that level.
Any help is appreciated!

I'd recommend watching some basic fighting game tutorials just to catch you up on terms and basic concepts. If you don't know what footsies, neutral, block advantage, hitstun, frame data, frame traps, meaties, and things like that are it's going to be hard to watch any tutorials beyond beginner level.

I'd recommend gootecks tutorial series but he does it on street fighter. Still worth a watch since the concepts and terminology carries over. After that pick a character based on what you like, don't worry about tier lists or anything like that, those only apply to the top like 1% of players.

After that there's a million things to work on and a tutorial for every one of them. So good luck.

My biggest recommendation when it comes to improving as a player though is to just watch your own matches. Trust me, you'll pick up on your mistakes way quicker by seeing yourself play than you would by trying to figure it out in the heat of the moment.

Play.
Get beat.
Figure out how you got beat.
Figure out how to beat that next time.
Lose to something else.
Repeat.

Incremental progress is what these games are all about. Just don't let yourself get discouraged.

Last edited:

gam224

The world's least hype player
Right off the bat just want to point out it can take up to two years for some to get to an advanced level. The naturally gifted will get it in about 7 months

gongfuren

Arma Virumque Cano
The first step of learning a fighting game is to have total control of your character. If you want to perform a particular movement or attack, practice it until you are able to get it 30 times out of 30. It is absolutely vital to minimize execution error, so that you can focus on fighting the opponent instead of your controls.

After learning how to control your character, learn how to control the opponent. The opponent will want to use his own tools against you, and if you can discourage him from using those tools, you have less to worry about during the match.

For example, suppose your opponent knocks you down. You perform a wake-up attack, but then the opponent blocks your move, then punishes your recovery with a 40% combo. Now, if you get knocked down again, would you want to perform the wake-up? Probably not.

Similarly, after being knocked out of the air for the last 3 times you attempted to jump in, you tend to decide that jumping in a fourth time is a bad idea. Now your opponent doesn't have to worry about your jumping for a bit because he knows you don't want to be anti-aired anymore.

This is how control is established. Make the opponent think that their tool is a mistake by punishing them for using it. You have to learn all of the opponent's tools in order to do this, though, so you'll have to spend a lot of time in training mode and practice matches to find them out for each character.

The next way to control the opponent is to understand how to threaten your opponent at certain ranges. This is done through whiff-punishing at medium ranges, zoning at medium/far ranges, poking out to catch the opponent when they don't block (such as when they are walking or dashing) at medium to close ranges, pressuring with frame-traps and blockstrings at close range, and mixing up with lows/overheads at close range.

You should also be able to confirm off of successful hits in all ranges into a full combo for guaranteed damage. To practice confirms, you can set the dummy to random block in training mode. Then, perform your pressure string. If you see the dummy block, continue pressuring. If you see the dummy get hit, input your combo. Do this until you can confirm your combo on hit 30 times out of 30, because if you input your full combo without confirming the hit, your opponent has the opportunity to punish with a full combo of his own.

The most important part of learning fighting games, however, is to stay motivated. If you still lose to players, ask yourself why you lost that match. Then, figure out how you can prevent it from happening next time. Utilize training mode's record feature to put yourself in the same situation and practice countering it until you find a consistent solution. Fighting games require a ton of commitment, but if you have the right mindset, you can be successful.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Welcome to the forums!

I'd say the first step is to learn some of the big boy combos. Preferably the optimal 'bnb' combo (bread and butter). a BNB is a combo that you should know off by heart and could do 10 times in row without ever dropping it - it's the combo you don't drop. Along with this will include learning how to read the universal button numbers(1,2,3 and 4). These numbers each represent an attack (FP, BP, FK, BK and we use this so that people from different games consoles can all understand the combo notation and there's no translation needed. It'll be tricky but you'll pick it up really fast.

After that I'd suggest understanding of basic frame data. You won't have to memorise everything or anything just yet. You just need to get an understanding of it so that you know how the game works, y'know? You need to know how to analyse why certain things work. Why you beat out your opponents move, why you were able to get a free combo for blocking the attack etc.

Next thing on the list is stop mashing. I know you do it, and I'm not going to kid you on, some of the top players mash but you it's a bad habbit to get into when you're learning. So stop it. Wait for your turn (if you learned about frame data you should be able to do this!) and remember that everything's in the mind when it comes to fighting games (except the stuff you can react to lol)

Speaking of reactions... Anti airs. You know how the game works, you know how when it's your turn and you can do a combo. You're already better than a lot of the player base. Next you have to stop those online warror bunny rabbits from hopping everywhere. It's not easy in this game, especially for new people, but you have to learn which move(s) with your character can pop people who jump at you out of the air.

That should keep you busy for a while. Remember to be a concious learner when you're playing, always. Learn from your mistakes and good luck!

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Any help is appreciated!
I think the biggest problem with fighting games for new players is actually their growing popularity. In NRS games there is pretty bad match-making and a smaller community. What this means is that you are more likely to find better players and it can be very frustrating getting you ass beat. Added to that the fact that NRS games are hyper-aggressive, and new players can feel that they are making no progress.

What I am trying to get at here, is that the games of the FGC community are games of skill. You wouldn't pick up a guitar for the first time and think you can pound out Angus Young solos on your first try. There is a tendency in modern gaming to make everything easier, but fighting games are old school in that they take time to get into.

So that is my biggest advise to you. Play the game and have fun and allow yourself to suck. There is a great William Burrows quote I love about being a writer "To be a writer you must write." To get good at fighting games you need to PLAY the game, and play it a lot... and this is not something you can force, it has to be fun for you or you will never do it.

I see a lot of similar threads about drawing and computer graphics. (I do film visual effects for a living). People asking for "tips" and "tricks" and what software to use and which is the best pencil and stuff... but the truth is that none of that shit makes you a good artist, it is repetition and practise that makes you good. Unless you approach it with the understanding that it is ok to suck and you enjoy it enough to spend a ton of time on it you will never get better no matter how many "guides" or "controller types" or w/e you get.

Play the game, play it a lot and have fun with it. All the "frame data" stuff and "how to use practise mode" and all that come way latter.

Vogen

Noob
I didn't expect so much feedback!
This all seems to focus around the idea of accepting that my journey will be difficult, and that defeat is part of the process. Additionally, I must learn from those mistakes I make during my failures as well slowly building up my skills.
With all that in mind, shoukd these failures best be accepted when playing online? Or against the computer?
I played many MOBAs which is all about practice and failure, and learning from those failures in order to get better, and to not blame others, but to realize what YOU could have done differently to change the outcome. This seems similar... But MOBAs should really be mainly played pvp in order to learn. Is this the same? Should I just friend out online play with one character until I learn more and more? I play on PS4 so I can just save my matches with the share option. And watch myself.

Thank you all for the feedback! It is wonderful to see such an active community!

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
You should try and play as much as possible with other humans. Like MOBAs or other forms of vs games, AI controlled opponents just are not of any use to learn how to play at a deeper level.

There is a strong technical side to fighting games. Probably the most important is understanding "Frame Data" but there is a number of things, like spacing for example. The thing I was trying to get at in the above post, is that worrying about gaps and all that is premature if you are not simply "playing" the game.

The technical knowledge will come, but you need to play the game to really get it. If you spend 5 hours watching tutorials and reading tech posts, you will not improve as much as playing 5 hours of the game irself, at least as a beginner... imo.

Last edited:

Raiderhorn

White Lotus
My first fighting game was MK vs DCU (lol) and it took me years to get down those friggen combo challenges cause some of those were strict as hell. That aside, I moved to MK9, then Injustice, and now MKX. I was always improving at combos but not really fundamentals. So I started watching competitive Injustice gameplay towards the end of that games life and was amazed by the entertainment and how much I learned watching. I watched and watched and watched so much professional footage and would even rewatch the same matches over and over to pick up some of the terms being said and used. High level play can get really fast so I would rewatch some matches several times because of that.

Then in MKX I finally understood frame data and how it works. My gameplay improved so much because of it.

If anything I recommend to watch high level play and then try and go from there but definitely check out Ketchup and Mustard's tutorials on MKX they really make concepts easier to understand. See how you can incorporate some strategies, and if you fail at some things go back and figure out where you went wrong and how to make it better. If you can watch your own footage that's good too

EDIT: The failures are best accepted vs other people and not the computer because the computer on higher difficulties is a much different play style than against real players. Players can be conditioned to respect certain kinds of pressure, whereas the computer can react instantaneously and punish your move if you throw it out wrong. Very Hard CPU difficulty is all about putting yourself at a frame advantage so the computer can't interrupt your pressure because they will every chance they can. And it has been said earlier in the thread, fighting games aren't the easiest thing to pick up. Learn at a pace that is comfortable to you as if you try to take everything in at once it won't really change anything. In my experience it took years to get where I am today and I still get beat badly at times lol but it is all part of the process. Have fun with the game first and foremost

Last edited:

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
As an extra I'd add that the ai is pretty useless yes but can help you with muscle memory, as a beginner I used vs cpu modes to practice execution against an actual opponent rather than the training dummy. After a while that won't be needed, but a nice tool to help you start out.

Also if you want a 'simple' character Slasher Jason is a nice beginner choice. Easy execution with high damage, very dominant normals (b1, d2, d1, f3, etc), decent mixups, decent projectile, multiple armored moves for basically any situation and on top of that he will teach you how to space yourself to make your offense safe or bait out unsafe moves. Furthermore can be played agressively or passively. I think he really is an all in one beginner character. If you check the character's forum there is even a guide on how to play him successfully (Original Slasher or something like that by CrazyFingers). He is also lot of fun, just picked him up recently for that reason.

And of course good luck!

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
Since you're not just new to MKX but new to fighting games altogether I'd suggest that you take the fun route rather than the educational route straight away. Get hype !! Watch the MK movies, watch MK9 and MKX Evo finals, etc. That way you'll get to witness some of the most glorious moments of MK.

As for the playing part, just keep it simple at the beginning. Go through a few characters and pick one that you really like. Then just start having fun with it by playing tower, and learning to do combos and fatalities in practice. This is the fun part.

Fighting game fundamentals are some of the most complex of any game genre, so you won't be learning them overnight. The best way to learn is through playing human opponents although MKX has a decent AI at the 2 hardest levels. It's important to stick to just one or two characters so that learning new moves all the time is not a hindrance in your learning curve. As others have said already, you'll find plenty of youtube tutorials for just about any character you choose. They'll help accelerate your learning.

Vogen

Noob
Do not feed him with intermediare things just yet.
Perfect time to test this, see if this can be useful to you, if it is, then i'm on the right track.
That was very informative! I am interested in watching more of those. Thank you for the links :)
I did have to google some of the terminology but much of it makes sense.

Everyone is being way more helpful than I imagined. I will look into more of those videos, Eddy, as well as ketchup and mustards videos!

I picked up ermac because he seemed really neat but in my reading in different places I saw a video of a gentleman saying that mystic ermac was useless... in story mode possessed kenshi dominated me so that intrigued me a whole bunch as well so I will probably start there.

My only slight concern against the ai so far was that the ai was magical in dodging or blocking my attacks. I guess because it registers that I pressed an input string, the ai instantly knew to block. It was awefully frustrating to me. I got pretty upset at times because I felt I could hardly breathe during some of the fights because I hardly knew little combos and the ai was relentless. I imagine humans are the same.

I am feeling that I must go into training and watch those videos, then do towers to get som basic knowledge of an active opponent, and then head online and just learn all that I can from those matches. It's seems a progressive journey.
I appreciate the support and information from all of you! If anyone has anything to add by all means I enjoy the input.

The grind starts tonight after work :)

I appreciate all of your time!

Vogen

Noob
A training partner sounds tough to find at my skill level this late into the games release.. but possible! I will remain hopeful :) and I will check out the guide yaro! Thank you for the advice :)
I have been working on hit confirming and still trying to find a fighter I want as a main. Trying out Kano might be fun.

Plymarco

Worst Kitana ever?
A training partner sounds tough to find at my skill level this late into the games release.. but possible! I will remain hopeful :) and I will check out the guide yaro! Thank you for the advice :)
I have been working on hit confirming and still trying to find a fighter I want as a main. Trying out Kano might be fun.
Hey MKX is my first fighter also. I've been learning for about 4-5 months now. Since you're new find someone that you'll have the most fun with. Just dabble with a lot of different characters until you find the right character for you. I started off playing Cassie, Kenshi, and Scorpion. Now i play Kitana and a basic Tanya. Once you find your main learn everything about the character. Go into the forums and learn the optimal combos you can do every time. I believe Kitana can get 50% in the corner but i go for 48% simply because i can get it consistently. I also learned by watching twitch players who play my character and looking up character videos on YouTube. Don't be discouraged by losses just learn from your mistakes and keep at it. I'll train with you if you're on PS4 i know basic frame data also.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I saw a video of a gentleman saying that mystic ermac was useless...
That man is very wrong lol. Mystic is a pretty damn good variation and not too difficult to learn either. Have a browse around the Ermac forum for Mystic stuff if you're interested in learning it :)

Personally, my first step in a new fighter is to find a character that appeals to me for some reason, and try to learn everything i can about that character, like their normals, specials, BnBs, mid screen combos and corner combos.

I mean hell, i first played MK when i was a kid in an arcade and said, "blue is my favorite color, and ninjas are cool so lets pick this guy". And to this day im a SZ main in each and every game lol