What's new

General/Other - Tanya New Previews for Tanya from 5/14 Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
Tanya is a Black Edenian it's the same as being a Black brazilian. They are black but from brazil.Your logic is way off, so you're telling me people don't think Goku is Asian because he's not human? Yea right, everyone know Goku is Asian.

By you logic Superman is not white because he's not human, Everyone know superman is white. This only comes up when it has to do with cool black characters that everyone want to be everything but black. Anyway even if Tanya was human and from earth you and others would still find lies to make her non black.
Goku isn't Asian and Superman isn't white. These humanoids might be based on those features in design but they aren't of the human race canonically and thus can't be classified as such.

And learn who the hell you're talking to. I was one of the first outraged that her features had drastically been changed AND was one of many who reached out to NRS studios about it on as many platforms as possible. What were you doing other than snapping at other members about what she is or isn't?

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So.....

Egyptian/people of North African descent aren't necessarily white. Except for like...white afrikans whose abcestry traces back to British and Dutch colonialization, etc.

The point is.. Egyptians aren't white, which is what they were going for in the redesign.

So how is she white washed? She's not white.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I actually REALLY agree with this. Tanya is the only one I'm hyped for. Tremor is ok, at least he's from the MK universe. The other two are actually quite annoying. Neither of them are even really relevant anymore (especially Predator) and are only there to appease and get money from nostalgic fans who like Maximillian who are a like... "HERP DERP PREDATOR IS AWESOME TAKE MY MONEY!!!!" Meh.... Can I please have more MORTAL KOMBAT characters in my MORTAL KOMBAT game?
You do. About 27 MK Characters, once everyone is released.

Predator not relevant? We better not tell that to The AvP series of comics and movies. Good or not, they exist.

Dwarfmp

Enthusiast
I don't think so, I think next 2 weeks. Because usually When a character is released they get a premier Tower, thing is its MK3 Tower for another 6 days and after that is Kotal Kahns Premier Tower. So I think she's not going to be released for another two weeks.
Jason's tower appeared the week he was purchaseable for everyone, KP owners got him a week before that. So Tanya could be available to us when it's Kotal's Premier Tower, if you say that's the next one. Unless you didn't mean for KP, then nvm.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
So.....

Egyptian/people of North African descent aren't necessarily white. Except for like...white afrikans whose abcestry traces back to British and Dutch colonialization, etc.

The point is.. Egyptians aren't white, which is what they were going for in the redesign.

So how is she white washed? She's not white.
'Whitewashing' also describes significantly lightening the skin of a previously dark-skinned character, whether or not it makes them literally white.

As for the general discussion, I do think that it's safe to call Tanya 'black' since she is and always has been, MKX initial model aside, clearly based on real world humans with black features and coloring. It doesn't seem like a reach to me. It's similarly reasonable to say Superman is white. 'White' and 'black' aren't ethnic designations, like European or African or Asian -- they're physical phenotypical ones. There is actually more DNA diversity among 'black' people than any other peoples on Earth, because human life began in Africa. We only call all those different groups of people black as one collective ethnic group because they look phenotypically 'black' to us.

The problem isn't whether or not Tanya is literally African, since obviously she's not, it's that people used 'well she's not human' as an excuse for lightening her skin. We exist in a real world with no Edenians, just humans, and lightening the skin of any dark-skinned character is messed up because of our real world context. There are also so few video game characters of African descent that refusing to let black people identify with a character clearly patterned after a black woman is kind of rude. Let people claim her if they want to, IMO.

I was one of the people badgering NRS all over social media to make her dark again and I'm very happy they listened to us. I didn't like doing it, but I felt it was important.

ANYWAY!

I expect Tanya will come out on Tuesday. Fingers crossed! I'm planning to main her and I hope she's great. If they save her for the first week of June I'm worried that'll mean Predator/Tremor in July and August, and I want these four to come out fast so we can maybe get more DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.