What's new

New GBS format for MKX

Ghost Battle Series for Injustice was amazing. In case you don't know, it was a weekly tournament held at GGA every Thursday night. Also thanks to Bit, Ken, Max, Hruza, Jim, and Han and all you other regulars that kept the passion going. GBS was where GGA finally started a tournament format and it turned out to be an amazing addition to our "casuals only" way we had played MK9 beforehand. With the release of MKX we look to improve on some of the mechanics of GBS to make it even more amazing.

GBS was based on seeding, which for the most part worked out really well. However since the season was like 13 weeks long there would be some instances for example, where either Bit or Max would be so far ahead of the competition that the final week of our season of GBS would be anti-climatic because the winner would be locked up ahead of time. There were however, some great things for GBS, and those things will be carried over.

• The point system from Injustice GBS will be carried over for MKX with no changes. 1st place at a GBS is 6 pts, 2nd is 5 pts, 3rd is 4 pts, 4th is 3 pts, tied for 5th awards 2 pts each, and tied for 7th awards 1 pt each
  • These points will also count for seeding as well just like Injustice GBS. This way we can avoid those tournaments where the 2 best players fight round 1 for example.
Now for the GBS Changes for MKX.

• Seasons will be 10 weeks long fitting in with the 10th MK and X theme. A little bit shorter season will help the end of season doldrums that tends to happen when some people are so far ahead of others. This will ensure that every single week will be extremely important to get your points.
  • At the end of the 10th week the 8 players with the most points qualify for "Super Week." That 11th week of GBS will basically be an invitational (invited based on how many GBS points you got) 8 man round robin tournament.
  • The person who wins the round robin super week tournament will be declared the winner of that season's GBS and the following week, the next season of GBS will start fresh, with everyone's seeding points being wiped clean.
  • The winner of the season for GBS will get his name engraved on a plaque that will be hanging in the room. Each season we will add a new name to the plaque, so eventually it will be a list of names on it declaring the winners of all the previous seasons Stanley Cup style.
  • Super Week will also decide who got 2nd-8th for that GBS season as well, if you are like me and care about 2nd or worse placings.
  • If you don't qualify for Super Week don't fret. During super week there will be another tournament going on. So far I am calling it "The Best of the Rest."
  • The Best of the Rest tournament will be a standard double elimination tournament and the best part of this is that the 8 players who made Super Week won't be able to play in it, so we can truly see who is the best of the rest without those top 8 players interfering.
As for the GBS tournament format we will run the following.

• Best 2/3. Grand Finals will be best 3/5.
  • Stages will be double random
  • Winner is character AND variation locked
  • Loser can hit rematch for an exact rematch or go back to the character select screen
  • If the loser goes back to the character select screen, the stage is again double random
As with previous GBS formats we are open to changing our format as time goes on. If the tournament standard becomes something else we will most likely adopt that change.

@GGA 16 Bit
@GGA Dizzy
@GGA Fill Pops
@GGA HAN
@GGA Max
@GGA MOE30W
@GGA pimpimjim
@GGA Saucy Jack
@GGA Wafflez
@Jim
@Hruza Da Bruza
@RM Truth

Oh and after tagging Bit and PPJ I remembered. Of course testers welcome week 1. Come in and show us how to play!

Also STAT TRACKING!!!!! REPORT YOUR SCORES!!!! I will make a post about this later.

First Season of GBS April 16th - June 18th.

Tournament Starts 8pm. Sign up for the tournament and casuals usually around 7pm.

Last edited:

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
Wish I lived in chicago! I'd hit that event up every week that format and system is tight.

F4tal

Noob
@GGA Jeremiah

Since I don't have classes during Thursday in the summer I might be able to make it down frequently so long as I don't work a morning shift the next day. Are you guys going to be playing on PS4 or XB1 because I would willingly bring my extra of whichever console if needed.

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
Damn, I get out of school June 22nd, will there still be GBS going on after the season or no?

@GGA Jeremiah

Since I don't have classes during Thursday in the summer I might be able to make it down frequently so long as I don't work a morning shift the next day. Are you guys going to be playing on PS4 or XB1 because I would willingly bring my extra of whichever console if needed.
PS4. Eventually we will have plenty of PS4s but in the beginning it will be helpful I think. I'll ask Doc and get back to you.

Damn, I get out of school June 22nd, will there still be GBS going on after the season or no?
I expect GBS to go for an absolute minimum of 10 seasons, or at least 2 years.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Thanks for posting this! I was curious to know about the tournament rules. Wanted GGA's for reference to use with any local STL tournies.

GGA Wafflez

the kid
yea i will and if you are doing something Friday we should game also PSA I am not associated with this princesskitty sooo plz no haterino
nobody asked, but now im curious hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm also yeah tryin grill maybe game idk we'll see

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
Going to wait a month or so after the MKX release and then hit these up. I live in NW Indiana so the drive isn't too bad. Thanks for the information.

Monox1de

Noob
Me and the only person I play with locally are interested. We are planning on coming down for saturday the 18th. We live about 5hrs away from chicago in The upper peninsula of Michigan. I am looking forward to it and hope our wallets allow us to make the trip often.