What's new

New 1,1 tech... I think

When I was in the practice room a few nights ago I wound up wanting to find some legit frame traps that i could use in my game that haven't been posted before and wasn't already mainstream among kitana players. So after seeing some kitanas really using the 1,1,2 chain that before a couple of weeks ago I thought was a lost cause. After exploring it's potential for myself, i found that her 1,1 even though it doesn't have the kind of frame advantage as say scorpion's, can lead to some pretty dirty frame traps that I haven't seen anyone use either online or in tourneys until I proved them to be legit. However keep in mind that some of these are safer than others and I will say which ones are the best that I have proven off and online thus far and on what opponents that they worked against.

Kitana's 1,1 is a very good way to bait out counterpokers and from what I have experienced thus far, these are the ones that have proven to be quite useful in shutting them down at the right distances. Here are the ones that I have found particularly useful because the frame advantage of the 1,1 on block and on hit allow for some pretty safe and dirty followups that I thought some others could find useful.

The First frame trap is: jp (optional), 1,1 (very slight pause), d1, cutter
this one is by far the safest out of the lot. after the 2nd hit in the chain connects on crouching or standing opponents, you can almost instantly input the d1 and counter any option they may have for you and if you want, you can just use the d1 to just get some space and go for a jump in or what ever you like. This option works on just about everybody.

2nd: 1,1, (very slight pause), 3,3, cutter (or 3,3, pretty kick)
same principle as the first, except the 3,3 will wind up standing up a counterpoking opponent and you can keep them standing with a cutter or a pretty kick and go for another mixup. this is the quickest normal, other than the d1, that can follow up a 1,1 on either block or on hit. If you want, you could even go for a fake out kick for safety and or a knockdown, but be cautious, if the 3,3 knocks them far enough away, the fake out kick can whiff. This option in particular works on everybody and in combat I used it to stuff countless attempts by characters like noob(upknee), kabal(dash), reptile(dash), and mileena(teleport, d4, enhanced roll) to really make good use of it's capability on bad matches.

3rd: 1,1, (very slight pause), 1,1,2 cutter (or 1,1,2 fake out kick)
This option can really condition your opponent to want to counterpoke in the long run and help you out big time. Reason being is that if they think they can be slick and hit a button before you can go for any of the previous 2 mixups, you can just go for a 1,1,2 and link that with a cutter or a fake out kick to keep them honest. this option is best against characters with bigger hitboxes in the game because should they not block, then there is the possibility that the first hit could whiff before the 2nd hit connects.

4th: 1,1, (very slight pause), f3,1,2 (or f3,1,cutter,f3,1,fake out kick, f3,1,fan lift) aka the problem solver!
This mixup puts you airborne and usually has the same kind of effect of sorts as the 2nd option because it will stand them up(on hit) and allow you to keep them in mixup land, It's best to use this option on characters and players that love to use the d4 to try and counterpoke. In spite of not being a true overhead in hit confirming an opponent that is crouch blocking, it will hit them regardless and allow for some pretty good counters to those pesky d4 people hahahahaha!

5th: 1,1, (very slight pause), 2,1,cutter (not a good idea on characters that have very small hitboxes)
even though teh 2,1 is the fastest option, it is the riskiest because of the fact that the 2 actually requires a vertical hitbox. That said, if you attempt this one, you are likely to eat a lot of punishment thanks to fast uppercuts, low counterpokes, and other things that can take advantage of the 2's high strike point. However, in case you wanna space it, use the d1 after the 1,1 to get some lee way and if your opponent counterpokes, then you can land our trusty bnb chain.

6th: 1,1, (vsp), b3, 3, cutter (or b3, fanlift)
this option is fast and is also a false overhead just like options 4 and 2. you can follow this up with a fake out kick, cutter, or a fanlift for some hefty damage. However, this option can likely get stuffed by d1's in case the 1,1 is blocked so keep in mind like a d1 for some space and then go for your mixup. Bear in mind however, that this option is not a very sensible choice for characters such as kabal and reptile who may want to dash out of the way. Slides also have the possibility to blow this up on reaction.

7th: 1,1, (vsp), b1, 2 overhead (and b1, cutter on hit as well as b1, fake out kick)
In this option, because of the start up time on the b1, it is best to use a d1 before you dial it up to get some space away from potential punishment as opposed to just doing it after a 1,1. However in this chain you have 3 true high, low, and mid options that can further frustrate your opponennt. Since the Mid knocks down and flattens your opponent some distance away from you, this would be a good time to chuck some fans and establish a distance game. This option is best used on guys that play really defensively and you need to open them up one way or another. And since the b1 is yet another false overhead, this allows for some really dirty stuff.

If only I had a true way to record myself using these options and actually show their effectiveness (dazzle fails hard). But I want to also share that if you do want to give this strategy a start, DON'T DO IT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN AN ACTUAL FIGHT!! I know that to be effective, strategies must be tested in battle, however, the execution of these maneuvers is tricky at times and if you dont have a legit plan, get too predictable, mis time your execution, or the infamous input bug bites you( if you do this enough, trust me, this will happen at some point in time or another), then you will eat some serious punishment.

Overall this has the potential to truly take kitana's ground game to a whole new level and help with some bad matches up close instead of praying that 2,1, cutter will save our skins all of the time http://testyourmight.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.png these traps are meant to really mindf*ck your opponent into either playing defensive or wanting to hit buttons and open him up. One way or the other, this is my first time sharing my knowledge of my character on a forum and please let me know if something is amiss or if you find something new. Either way test this stuff out and see what it does for you.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Great to see you trying some stuff out and mix it up a bit. I don't really think a pause is necessary though since most of her start ups are slow, especially 1 at 14 frames. You will probably need to condition people to respect the 112~cutter string to have much success with 11 as you can easily get poked out with a d1 or d3.

I personally like:

112~cutter (to condition)
11, 212 (21 lift if you can hc)
11, throw
11, cross over kick~fan

Definitely a lot of fun to play around with though.

Great to see you trying some stuff out and mix it up a bit. I don't really think a pause is necessary though since most of her start ups are slow, especially 1 at 14 frames. You will probably need to condition people to respect the 112~cutter string to have much success with 11 as you can easily get poked out with a d1 or d3.

I personally like:

112~cutter (to condition)
11, 212 (21 lift if you can hc)
11, throw
11, cross over kick~fan

Definitely a lot of fun to play around with though.
You bring up a very good point. This technique is all about conditioning your opponent and forcing them to respect your ground game instead of expecting the usual 2,1,cutter, f2,1, or the d1 cutter. you force them to take up a whole new approach to blocking kitana and if they are dumb enough to block high, GOOD LUCK TO THEM ;). but overall, i do like what you bring up and your stuff listed is stuff that can really condition them into thinking that they have your game downloaded. thx for your reply.

it is good.
konqrr stated this a while back too.

But most of the things you posted are so unsafe.
granted if you pause after 1,1, your opponent can poke, (its a risk) plus, you can't jp to jail them, so they can duck your cutter after 1,1,2.

Pretty kicks? No, nonononono, please don't.
Back 3,3 takes to long.
i wouldn't really do 3,3, after 1,1, I'd much rather do 3,3, dash cancel after a successful cutter.

1,1 grab is good too.
So it isn't new, and it's pretty good, but really, anycharacter can do this.
Ex: mileena 2,3 dash grab, 2,3,4, etc.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I mix up 1,1,2~cutter/ex cutter and 1,1, throw all the time. It's a guessing game, they're not going to react to your throw in time. Fake out kick can be sorta good too, but most players familiar with the character will be able to react in time. 1,1 itself has pretty good recovery, but the mixups don't go THAT far.

Mr Mileena, shut the fuck up. I'll use my pretty kicks whenever the fuck I want.