What's new

My Top 15 Albums (and yours)

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
It's Thursday night, there's nothing to do until GBS. So here are my TOP 15 albums, and why. I'm not saying they're the greatest, those a couple of them surely are. You'll ask "where are the classics from earlier decades or other genres?" Well, this is a personal favorites list! Albums that speak to me. Everything listed here comes with the highest recommendation, especially if starred (***)!

This is not in any particular order. Only one rule: No repeating artists, or half the list would be from 2 bands. I hope you discover some new favorites here! And please contribute with your own lists. Try to keep this thing alive. I really wanna see what people love the most.

The Fragile --- Nine Inch Nails (1999)

While this list isn't in any order, I did put this one first because it's my favorite. In 16 years I have never heard a better album. Every song is sonically and tonally different. An album created in total isolation and artist freedom, projecting soul-crushing rage and anguish not just in the words, but in every beautifully crafted tone of guitar drums and synth. If you're new to NIN, you should listen to The Downward Spiral first. It is ONLY with a developed ear for Trent Reznor's sound that you can fully appreciate the genius that is The Fragile.

__________________________________________________________________________________
2. The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me --- Brand New (2006)

Can't stand to listen to their first two albums, even after calling this a favorite. Fairly musically simple, but so expressive and well produced that it'll shake you to your bones. It's said that this record was created after frontman Jesse Lacey suffered severe issues with depression, and you can feel it. Also lyrically brilliant, this record is haunting from the first moment as he speaks "I've been losing all my friends to drinking and to driving."

__________________________________________________________________________________
3. Mer De Noms --- A Perfect Circle (2000)

Possibly the most solid debut album ever released, at least in the 2000's. Maynard from Tool singing for Billy Howerdel's studio-created band. Expertly produced and written. It's lean, it's rich, and it's a one of a kind creation. It also rocks.

4. Silent Hill 3 OST --- Akira Yamaoka (2003)

Again, hard to pick between SH2 3 and 4. I'm going with SH3 because of the darker tone in drum programming and atmospheres. The first Silent Hill OST to feature vocalist Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. Akira Yamaoka's music and sound design is just as beloved as the games they are featured in. You can spin this record a thousand times and never get tired of it.

5. The Alchemy Index 1-4 --- Thrice (2007-2008)

A band that, in my opinion, joins the ranks of Taking Back Sunday, Brand New, and BMTH, that started off unimpressive and restricted by their genre, eventually breaking out and proving themselves solid songwriters as everyone else from their genre died. After finding their dynamic talents for alternative pop, this originally post-hardcore band eventually released a 4-part "concept" album that boldly experiments with industrial metal, ambient trance, country, and basically anything they want. A truly unique record that, while not connecting to me so much emotionally, will forever impress due to the musical ambition.

6. No Devolucion --- Thursday (2011)
I was never crazy about Full Collapse, but I got into them with War All The Time in 2003 and I've loved it all since then. This MASTERPIECE was created when singer/songwriter Geoff Rickly gave the band the task of writing an album without him in just two weeks. The result is an absolutely brilliant mix of jamming songs and ambitious songwriting after having being together for 14 years. It's a very dirty and noisy record, as you never really pay attention to certain sounds. It's all one dreamy landscape of sound that ends up making all other music sound weak and too clean in comparison.

7. There Is A Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It --- Bring Me The Horizon (2010)

A band that was regularly, and rightfully, booed off the stage in their begining days as a chaotic teenage deathcore band, eventually disowning their own successful debut record. As they matured, you can hear their songwriting do the same. This album has imaginative and groovy riffs from begining to end, and the expressiveness of screaming vocals capture the hopelessness that was likely connected to frontman Oliver Sykes' depression and Ketamine addiciton, for which he went to rehab after this record. Since this album, they've gone more pop, which I still enjoy. But this record has a unique madness and innovation that makes it special.

8. Lateralus --- Tool (2001)

The majority of Tool fans will pick their first albums, but for some reason I just enjoy the long sprawling nature of Lateralus. The flow of this album is epic. Favorite moments are the quiet part of the title track, and peak of the guitar melody in "The Patient". If you don't like at least one album from Tool, there must be something wrong with you.

CONTINUED IN THE NEXT POST​

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
9. Dusk And Summer --- Dashboard Confessional (2005)

I liked specific old songs from DC when it was just acoustic, and soon after he made it into a live rock band. This album showcases excellent song writing that moves away from the boyish whiney sound of the full band's debut album, and establishes a more relaxed tone which communicates a more real sense of longing and romance. The heavier rock fans may dismiss this band because of the "emo" sound and high voice of Chris Carrabba. But I say the man knows how to express truth, and that I can respect.

10. Mechanical Animals --- Marilyn Manson (1998)
It's nearly impossible to select between Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood. They're a musical trilogy that does everything right. While ACS is his industrial masterpiece, MA shows how true experimentation and fearlessness in the few of change can produce truly inspiring works. This album delicately balances the mix between glam-rock and industrial beats and drips with lyrics of sex, drugs, and suicide. And one of the coolest album covers of all time.

11. Richard D. James Album --- Aphex Twin (1995)
It's hard to explain why Aphex Twin is so good. You can't really dance to it, or move at all. It's not emotionally moving or dramatic. It's just so sonically interesting in unpredictable beats and unsual synth tones. Another one-of-a-kind artist, and a revolutionary.

12. The Shadow Line (2006) --- Godhead (2006)
Criminally underrated industrial alternative band that was plagued by constant bad luck in the industry. They have a wonderfully rich synth programming tone and pop chorus sing-along songwriting, featuring the immensely talented Jason Charles Miller on vocals and guitar (now touring as a country musician). Signed to Marilyn Manson's label right before it closed. And the next 3 record labels that signed them closed as well. The third even closed before the album came out and they had to release it on their own with no tour support. This album, however, was their highpoint in mixing their industrial electronic roots with their live rock sound.

13. Born To Die --- Lane Del Rey (2012)

I never would have listened to this record if a certain girl I know hadn't shown me "You Can Be The Boss" from before this record. While Lana Del Rey seems to be more focused on slow ballads since the release of "Ride", this album is by far her sexiest and most interesting. A great blend of hiphip and pop with lyrics and melodies that'll make you smile if you they make you think of someone special.

14. The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion --- Dredg (2009)

Dredg, for some reason, completely changed their sound after their stellar debut Leitmotif in 2001. And while their next albums managed to produce some good tunes, Pariah returns to a more experimental and free mentality, but this time with their new sound. It's fun, it has great production, and to make it even better it's themed on Salman Rushdie's essay "Imagine There's No Heaven."

15. Futures --- Jimmy Eat World (2005)

Not much to say about these guys. I've loved them since the anthemic single "Bleed American", and this album is just masterfully written. A solid and enjoyable alternative rock album that most people may not expect to enjoy, but you'll definitely find something impressive in there. The vocals make this record.

Honorable mentions go to several albums that I feel have 5-6 great songs but the rest, while good, aren't amazing enough to break the top:​
Without You I'm Nothing --- Placebo
New Again --- Taking Back Sunday
L.E.F. --- Ferry Corsten
Vol. 3 (Subliminal Verses) --- Slipknot
Lungs --- Florence And The Machine
Hellbilly Deluxe --- Rob Zombie

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I cba going to find links and pictures and write paragraphs so here's just a 15 albums that I really like in text format!:
1. Nevermind - Nirvana
2. Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
3. The Wall - Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd
4. Are You Experienced? - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
5. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
6. The Doors - The Doors
7. The Grey Album - DJ Danger Mouse
8. Billy Joel - Piano Man
9. Queen - Greatest Hits (volume 1,2&3... is that cheating?)
10. (What's the Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis
11. The Police - The Police
12. Eminem - Curtain Call
13. Led Zeppelin - Mothership
14. Guardians Of The Galaxy Awesome Mix Album
15. The Killers Greatest Hits

No particular order. Hell give me enough time and some of these albums will be way off the list probably haha.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Yeah I dont feel like writing paragraphs either haha, here is mine:

1. Kezia- Protest The Hero
2. Colors- Between the Buried and Me
3. Allagaeon- Elements of the Infinite
4. The Dillinger Escape Plan- Option Paralysis
5. King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King
6. Unexpect- Fables of the sleepless empire
7. The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper
8. Mastodon- Crack the skye
9. Duke Ellington- Greatest Hits
10. Jamiroquai- Synkronized
11. Native Construct- Quiet World
12. The Contortionist- Language
13. Evan Brewer- Alone
14. All That Remains- The Fall of Ideals(Two words: Shannon Lucas)
15. Children of Nova- The Complexity of Light

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Yo dude!! I'm working my way through the albums you listed that I haven't heard and Lana Del Rey is amazing!! I'm in love, thank you so so much for the list, I'm enjoying the listen! :)

NKZero

Noob
My list has no variety, so deal with it. Only one genre that I care for...

1. Liquid Swords - GZA
2. Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers - Wu-Tang Clan
3. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx - Raekwon
4. Death Certificate - Ice Cube
5. Doggystyle - Snoop Dogg
6. ATLiens - OutKast
7. The Infamous - Mobb Deep
8. Illmatic - Nas
9. Ready to Die - Biggie Smalls
10. The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest
11. AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted - Ice Cube
12. Aquemini - OutKast
13. Stress: The Extinction Agenda - Organized Konfusion
14. Ironman - Ghostface Killah
15. Live & Let Die - Kool G Rap & DJ Polo

Don't really have a concrete order past my top 5.

1. Linkin Park - Reanimation
  2. Velcra - Consequences of Disobedience
  3. The Birthday Massacre - Pins and Needles
  4. Metallica - Master of Puppets
  5. Slipknot - Iowa
  6. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
  7. System of a Down - Toxicity
  8. Soulfly - Dark Ages
  9. Eluveitie - Slania / Evocation I
  10. Exilia - Decode
  11. The Prodigy - The Fat of the Land
  12. Slayer - Reign in Blood
  13. (həd) Planet Earth - Broke
  14. Fort Minor - The Rising Tied
  15. Korn - Follow the Leader

Dark_Rob

Noob
1. In Flames - Colony
2. At the Gates - Slaughter of the soul
3. Meshuggah - Chaosphere
4. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
5. Tool - Aenima
6. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
7. Deftones - Around the Fur
8. Nightwish - Oceanborn
9. Metallica - Master of Puppets
10 Judas Priest - Painkiller
11. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
12. Emperor - In the nightside eclipse
13. Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
14. Deicide - Deicide
15. Testament - Practice what you preach.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
This is a cool thread, I'll see if I can set aside 15 albums at all lol... in NPO

Black Sabbath- Paranoid

Beastie Boys- Licensed to Ill

Queen- A night at the Opera / Sheer Heart Attack [toss up imo]

Blink-182- Enema of the State

Kanye- The College Dropout

Green Day- Dookie

Beck- Mellow Gold

Wu-Tang- Enter the Wu Tang; 36 Chambers

Eminem- Slim Shady LP

NWA- Straight Outta Compton

Ice Cube- The Predator

The Offspring- Americana / Smash [toss up]

Hootie & The Blowfish- Cracked Rearview

Counting Crows- August and Everything After

I Fight Dragons- Cool is Just a Number

NKZero

Noob
@juicepouch haha so I have AmeriKKKa's Most and Death Certificate covered, so you went for The Predator? ;)

Jk, that's a great album. SSLP also caught me by surprise. I personally prefer The Eminem Show for sure and probably MMLP as well.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
@juicepouch haha so I have AmeriKKKa's Most and Death Certificate covered, so you went for The Predator? ;)

Jk, that's a great album. SSLP also caught me by surprise. I personally prefer The Eminem Show for sure and probably MMLP as well.
The Predator because people forget how fucking tight Cube is as a rapper and he's ripping it on his own there

SSLP for the overall joking tone, something I think he did better there than anywhere since

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
I really cant pick my all time favorites but here is some albums I've really liked recently:

Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister (Indie Pop, 1996)

Death Grips - The Powers that B, Disc 2: Jenny Death (Experimental Hip Hop, 2015)

The Microphones - Mount Eerie (Avant-folk, 2003)

Fishmans - Long Season (Dream Pop, 1996)

Kamasi Washington - The Epic (Spiritual Jazz, 2015)

Jamie xx - In Colour (UK Bass, 2015)

John Carpenter - Lost Themes (Horror Synth, 2015)

The Flaming Lips - Embryonic (Neo-psychedelia, 2009)

Spiritualized - Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space (Space Rock, 1997)

Beach House - Depression Cherry (Dream Pop, 2015) @Temjiin

Viet Cong - Viet Cong (Post-punk, 2015)

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
No order (too hard)

Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold, Dead Place
Beach House - Depression Cherry
Oasis - What's The Story Morning Glory
Slowdive - Souvlaki Space Station
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
My Vitriol - Finelines