What's new

My perspective of being the most hated MK player and how I look at it

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
"What doesn't kill you, makes you .... stronger" :cool:

I think REO should not care about what people say, if someone feels bothered about his skill and inteligence to play this game, why don't you pick the same Kabal, hitbox and whatever, go and challenge REO for a "best of 10"games and try to prove your point ?

Oppositors will not do that, simply because very few can match REO regarding talent for this game and being able to explore a character skill at ultimate level

In the end of day, he try to do his best in this game, and he gives a great perfomance and entertainment show every time he take part of a major MK9 tourney, so, if this bother people, that's life ..... deal with and try to live through this and carry on, or, go to hell with your envy ..........

Reo is one of my MK9 heroes .... Period

:D

Reactions: REO

Espio

Kokomo
No matter who you are, how smart, nice ,talented, funny etc. some people will just not like you, that's how it goes. As long as you're a decent person and treat people the way you want to be treated, it really makes no difference if you're a regular person or famous, that's how it goes.

The first time I heard of you REO was from watching the EVO stream when you were playing Mileena. I was cheering for you to win because you were fighting a Kung Lao. Even though you didn't win, you've always been one of my favorite "pro players" to watch (alongside Tom Brady and Detroitballn313). If any person were to ask me who I thought was the best Mortal Kombat player, I would probably answer "Reo" because throughout watching you play in tournaments, I noted how you could easily switch to maining different characters (Kabal, Mileena, Jade at one point, Cyber Sub Zero). I remember when people were complaining about hitboxes in one of Tom's Streams I made the argument that you, Reo, would always place well in tournaments regardless if you were using a hitbox. The fact that you made a joke video in which both you and Detroitballn313 were losing to some "random" player online (obviously intentionally) gave me the image of the two of you being very humbling people (how many "pro players" would actually be willing to do that?).

I've heard people complaining about you "abusing" Mileena's D4 and the hitbox, but I never imagined people hated on you so much (you seem like a very quiet person, as I haven't heard you talk on streams that much). Just remember you have people who think very highly of you as a "pro mortal kombat player." I still believe, and have always believed, you to be the best MK9 player out there (from observing people play, as I've never been to a tournament myself or played against "pro players").

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I've gotten so much hate mail to write a novel in paper print(not joking) I don't care, that's the mentality I think anyone has to have who is "hated"

Offline or online, or in general who cares...you know? If someone hates you for winning or a style, screw them. I believe a lot of the more talented players regardless of offline or online tend to get hated on. I just laugh at it at this point whenever I see hate threads or people talking trash about someone's name. I feel like shouting to them, "it's a damn video game"

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
"My perspective of having the biggest ego of MK players and how I love myself"

but he is undeniably among the top 3 or 2 players in MK right now. respect.

edit: hate is fear. the haters see something that they want to take, or that they want to be.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
The article kept me hooked until I read it through to the end.

I was one of the many players present at the EVO 2011 event, so I caught occasional whiffs of comments about Mileena's d4 being broken after the Grand Finals had been concluded. I thought that was bullshit.

Then there came the trend of patches coming into effect after some characters either won tournies or placed high in them. To me, it looked as if our only reward for rising above all others is getting our tools taken away from us...a gesture of disrespect towards the players who worked their asses off to obtain their goals, all because of a growing number of scrubs whining about this being "broken," nerfs and buffs, hotfixes, etc. If NRS is going to fix something in the game, let it be something that actually needs balancing, don't just change something because of how well a character performs in a major event. You're basically slapping the champions in the face when you do that.

Public opinion is a powerful thing, but only if you let it control you. Corporations, social groups, gaming groups, the military, etc. - the opinion of the crowds as a whole can often affect those involved in their surroundings, be it for good reasons or bad.

When I first came to the scene through Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, my only option of playing rested solely on online. I started out as a player who played only as Scorpion, and I had the goal to become the best Scorpion. I met great people along the way, all of whom helped to make this possible for me and encouraged me to keep reaching for that goal...but there were also the haters who made comments such as, "He can only win with that character, he sucks with everyone else," "He only plays online where the lag protects him, he'd get blown up offline," and even "Oh God, this guy uses Rage Mode and throws, he plays so damn cheap."

I think you get the point.

It bothered me so much, because I never talked shit to anybody and gave respect whether I won or lost. I had never come across an environment such as this one. I started to think I was going wrong somewhere, but I could not figure out what exactly that was, and Mortal Kombat actually started to feel like a miserable part of my life. I had never exhibited a talent for many other skills, and after finally being able to evolve from a mediocre player to a well-known player, it felt like I was getting fucked in the ass for my accomplishments. I have considered quitting many times so I would not have to deal with this.

But as I gained more exposure to this environment...I began to change. As both a player and a person.

I began to branch out among the roster and understand the engine of fighting games better. Before I knew it, I was shrugging off the negativity that came with being what others would label as a good player. I stopped trying to change myself for others and relied solely on my own methods to get what I wanted. If people cannot accept me for who I am and how I do things, that's their own fucking problem. I never let anything about a game control my views on other people (except if they display irrational behavior such as rage-quitting, venomous shit-talking, all that disrespectful shit), nor will I ever.

Ever since coming to the forums, I was introduced to the concept of offline events held for major gaming competitions. Such a revelation astonished me. To learn of so many other players putting themselves out there and supporting our awesome game with all their efforts...I felt envious. I yearned to join that community. I wanted to go beyond the boundaries of online play and establish my mark at a scene where it all mattered.

And when the Mortal Kombat 9 era began in April 2011, my dreams began to become reality. I've won two locals, took a huge risk and made it all the way to Vegas for EVO 2011, and my position in the community reached higher levels. I have yet to win a major, but my first chance to do so will be coming up next month, in an event called Texas Showdown. It will be a great step towards me putting what I've learned to use in my time among this community.

My biggest goal yet? To win EVO 2012.

However - and this will sound similar to REO's situation with Kabal - I've been recently introduced to people who feel that Sonya is a broken character who needs some alterations to her playstyle, usually because of her safe cartwheel (which ends her pressure so you can counter-poke and take control), her stance mix-ups (they will backfire in her face if she guesses correctly and you time a solid Wake-Up attack, plus her pressure ends if she guesses right), her uppercut, her projectile, her instant-air divekick...you get the idea.

Being a player who mains Sonya, this tended to irritate me. I don't get why people refuse to take their time to learn how to exploit the weaknesses of a character so that they can beat that character. Even with the powerful tools Kabal has, he is still beatable. Any character is beatable, but that will only become possible if you start looking at two things:

1) What makes the character so good?
2) What are the setbacks and consequences to that character's assets?

If I were to win a major of any kind, I'm more than sure that there will be people complaining about me having to use a cheap character to win.

But you wanna know what I now say to those haters?

"SHUT THE GODDAMN FUCK UP AND LEVEL UP SO THAT YOU CAN GET SOMEWHERE!"

You would never have seen me say the above if I hadn't made the decision to stop letting the negativity get to me and instead use it to motivate myself. It astonishes me to look back and see how I used to let myself feel bad because of something I couldn't control, and now today I just shrug off the drama and go about my business. Success in the MK scene is the biggest dream in my life, and if I achieve it, it will be something to be proud of.

This community is awesome. I would have it no other way. But in all walks of life, there will always be their fair share of bad apples you have to step across...and as you and a lot of us have learned, it's our choice to let them get us down or make us stronger.

No amount of shit-talking would ever make me regret being who I am today and being a part of this badass Mortal Kombat community. Experiences are necessary for us to improve. You take them as they come.

/rant over

REO, I've cheered myself hoarse for you ever since EVO 2011 and I never stopped supporting you. There will be the kids who hate, but you've also got a ton of supporters at your back, myself included. Turn your eyes only towards those who know what the deal is and appreciate you for what you've done. I eagerly anticipate the chance to meet you in person again so I can see firsthand how awesome your Kabal truly is. :)

LONG LIVE THE MK COMMUNITY!

I really don't know why ppl had such a problem with reo playing mil, she has unsafe wakeups and she doesn't have high damage either. Her 50 50 can be fuzzy guarded also. Reo getting 2nd with mil is surprising to me because it was the first time he ever used mil at a major. Reo shouldn't be criticized for playing, THE HIGHEST EXECUTION CHARACTER IN MK9, and if anyone think kabal is easy mode then play him and see how you do.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The truth? If you weren't good no one would care enough to hate. Keep making scrubs cry, how else can they sleep at night with nightmares of REO?

SZSR

Noob
REO, i've been watching you play since MKvsDC and you've been one of my favorite players to watch overall. I was honestly disappointed to not see you play Kabal for the longest time. Since I first saw you play The Flash, I thought you would've been the first to jump onto the opportunity to play Kabal. I love watching people who play the speedy characters, and you're one of the only guys who can get it done. Your execution, timing and reading is flawless., and even though so many people hate you, some people in the community really like what you're doing.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The difference with REO being hated than certain other people is, REO is hated on simply because of the gap between his skill and nearly everyone else. Other people get hated on because they themselves emanate hate. If you go around talking shit and saying you're the best, regardless of who you are and what you've done or not done, you're going to be hated.

REO gets hated for being the best, not SAYING he's the best.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
From this post on let's stay on topic. This thread is a disaster, let's not make it worse.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in...

Lots of respect for the top players in the MK9 community. One of these days maybe I'll make it out to a major and get to meet some of you in person. Anyways, REO has always been great to watch. I think it's incredible the level of play he pulls off on a pad - fighting games are meant to be played with a Hitbox, period. In my opinion, this analog/D-pad-that's-all-one-piece nonsense is a handicap, and handicap only.

To intertwine threads a little, it's not surprising that Tom Brady decided to quit the MK community (not game) - who wants to deal with dozens if not hundreds of people throwing hateful, trolling, idiotic comments your way who have never even met you?

In another random thought going through my head, hyping matches up between players and teams (16bit vs VSM for instance) is different than being rude and a jackass. 16bit gave CD respect when he beat him (at least from what I saw on stream) and there's nothing wrong with that. Why should REO, or Tom Brady, or [insert other top player] be treated any differently? Mutual respect is part of being a top performer, no matter the context.

In closing, the fact that this community is centered around a video game doesn't excuse anyone from acting like a prick.