What's new

MS cancels not coming out sometimes

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
Does this happen to anyone else?
Sometimes the MS cancel after 114 doesn't come out.. it was killing me all day yesterday. Also when I'm going for the reset and i land the 112, sometimes the MS doesn't come out.

And the most annoying thing of all.. dashing forward into D4 MS cancel.. but getting ring or arc kicks.

It'll make me feel better if other people have these issues, and its not just me being a total noob.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
You can rest assured you are not the only one. I experience these same issues now and then. It's likely due to an annoying thing called negative edge.

Your best bet is to condition yourself to input the Stance right at the moment you finish your blockstring. If you rush with the inputs, you're bound to input other moves by mistake. As for dashing and getting d4 into Sonic Ring or Arc Kick rather than a stance cancel, I believe it's cause the game stores commands for longer than necessary, so it's interpreting your commands as d4 into a move you don't want. If I were you, I'd try either d1 or d3 into Stance when buffering a dash.

Also, you can cancel into the Stance from so much more than just low pokes or the 1 1 4 and 1 1 2 strings. These stance mix-ups can be interrupted by a well-timed low poke or armored move. You've got to really change up your stance cancel blockstrings so they won't have enough faith in themselves to interrupt your mix-ups even on reaction.

Sonya's extremely heavy on execution skill, so these issues are part of what you risk when playing her. Just practice with her till it all becomes natural.

Noserfatu

"Your best bet is to condition yourself to input the Stance right at the moment you finish your blockstring."

You mean like doing it all in one motion? 114MS all in one motion? Or 114.. wait for the 4 to connect and then hit MS?

I'll test when I get home. sometimes i'm on point and sometimes i feel so limited because my moves just aren't working.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
"Your best bet is to condition yourself to input the Stance right at the moment you finish your blockstring."

You mean like doing it all in one motion? 114MS all in one motion? Or 114.. wait for the 4 to connect and then hit MS?

I'll test when I get home. sometimes i'm on point and sometimes i feel so limited because my moves just aren't working.
Wait for the last hit of the string to connect and input the Military Stance, yes.

Death

Noob
Yeah it may be the input bug. Theres a lot of times where ill do MS after D+4 and i get ring toss, arc kick etc. Or even sometimes ill do 112~MS then instead of F+1 that charging shoulder comes out.

I understand how arc kick can come out sometimes, but ring toss? Dafuq.

d4 into ms and get ring toss

down, down, back.

Where's the forward it needs to actually complete the input for ring toss?

Nvmind. my own fault for not realizing that whenever I dash out of ms too fast it reads the command for ring toss.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
D4~MSF1 = turns into Arc Kick and Energy Ring or D4~Arc Kick online.
1,1,4,MS = turns into 1,1,Arc Kick or 1,1,4,Arc Kick online.

XD

Error

DF2+R2
D4~MSF1 = turns into Arc Kick and Energy Ring or D4~Arc Kick online.
1,1,4,MS = turns into 1,1,Arc Kick or 1,1,4,Arc Kick online.

XD
I hate that shit, I always tell people arc kick is trash then they seem me online doing arc kick over and over lol.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Haha, I'm not sure if I ever use the Arc Kick or the MS1 on purpose, yet those are my most used moves!!!

Noserfatu

I hate that shit, I always tell people arc kick is trash then they seem me online doing arc kick over and over lol.
LOL same here. I wish I could change arc kick to DB3 instead of DB4. I would also change MS F1 to just MS 1. Hell, while I'm at it I'll change rings to bf1 instead of bf2

Point: Negative edge blows

Error

DF2+R2
MS1 is actually great in the corner, it's +20 something on hit, so you can keep on pressuring after it. It's how I end all corner combos now unless going for the kill. Arc kick is crap, but I catch so many jumps with it, half the time being accidental arc kicks.

Shady

Noob
Yeah it may be the input bug. Theres a lot of times where ill do MS after D+4 and i get ring toss, arc kick etc. Or even sometimes ill do 112~MS then instead of F+1 that charging shoulder comes out.
Yeah, it's not a new thing. With negative edge and input bug, sometimes this game likes to throw things your way. I can't count how many times I did 114 MS at WB only to get 11 Arc Kick. The D4 into rings was a bit of an issue for me before, but I'm actually thankful for that because it helped me discover a pressure gimmick outside of MS cancels.

The main thing to remember (and I'm realizing this a lot more using a PS1 controller which as a much more rigid d-pad) is that you have time, you don't have to rush the input on MS, you usually have a a few frames to link it off any block or combo string. Try to slow it down and be more methodical with it.

Somberness

Lights
1. You have to input the special before the cancel frame, low pokes usually have them in the low teens so you have to be quick. It does not matter how fast you do it either.
2. You're getting ahead of the action on screen and specials take priority over normals. That means you can't input a special command before the cancel frame of the normal preceding it, or else you'll get a special if there is a move that has that input.

streetsweep187

Kneel before me
I have problems also. I don't know if u guys seen my match against reo at winter brawl but I was cursed with the ring toss coming out at the end of strings insted of ms f1. And u can't have shit like that happening when your fight people like him lol...So I feel your pain guys. Best tip I got is try not to get ahead of yourself or dumb shit will come out.