What's new

Mortal Monday Remake trailer - MK1

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
A tad goofy, also kind of conjures up images of mob violence which yuck, but overall funny and fun. Nice callback. It'd be sweet if Dave could voice an MK character, or a guest. Maybe Glossu Rabban.

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
I assume this is the bone that is being thrown for us this week. In which case it's fine, because i do know, boy, do i know... Didn't expect them to go that route and now i feel old.

Art Lean

Noob
The screams in the 1993 advert were way better :(

It's a nice throwback given it's exactly 30 years ago to the week that the original MK was released on home consoles, but do wish it hadn't been quite so goofy and more of a rallying call-to-arms like the classic original.

Still, at least it has Techno Syndrome too! Can't ever go wrong with that bad boy (well, except the hideous 'Chicken Dust' mix from Annihilation's CD). Wish they'd re-use the Utah Saints version somewhere properly (rather than being buried in MK95's end credits), that one is an absolute beast and the best version IMO.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
The screams in the 1993 advert were way better :(

It's a nice throwback given it's exactly 30 years ago to the week that the original MK was released on home consoles, but do wish it hadn't been quite so goofy and more of a rallying call-to-arms like the classic original.

Still, at least it has Techno Syndrome too! Can't ever go wrong with that bad boy (well, except the hideous 'Chicken Dust' mix from Annihilation's CD). Wish they'd re-use the Utah Saints version somewhere properly (rather than being buried in MK95's end credits), that one is an absolute beast and the best version IMO.
We really need an official Techno Syndrome of the theme in both the OG movie and Annihilation. I know there are tons of remakes and remixes but with the actual instrumental you could replace of the names with the character from the current announcer. I mean so many people post on youtube their covers they made that i'm sure they legally bought the mechanical rights too. lol.

Shania Twain

You’re joking right? Do people not understand where 95% of the sales of MK games come from?
Yes ... people who play video games and are all largely mid 20s at youngest. With the technology of games now...why have a celebrity do this. This also isn't 1993. Also, gen Z from what I know is not really into fighting games. And if they do it's because it's on game pass or free from psn. They were clearly trying to hit both and well ... missed the mark.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'm slightly disturbed I don't remember the original ad at all. I was there. I played MK in arcade and console. I remember politicians freaking out about it. I had a TV in my room.
Maybe it only aired on cable which I didn't have?

Shania Twain

I'm slightly disturbed I don't remember the original ad at all. I was there. I played MK in arcade and console. I remember politicians freaking out about it. I had a TV in my room.
Maybe it only aired on cable which I didn't have?
It was aired frequently and MK2 had a live action one too. It had a warning on the ad cuz it was before esrb ratings and i believe nintendos first game with gore. it showed people dressed as the characters. Personally, video game ads usually didn't make me want games even as a kid. Plus MK largely was a word of mouth game at least for me. The arcade scene then though was very exciting and the home versions still were different as you probably know now. Nowadays there is just so much.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yes ... people who play video games and are all largely mid 20s at youngest. With the technology of games now...why have a celebrity do this. This also isn't 1993. Also, gen Z from what I know is not really into fighting games. And if they do it's because it's on game pass or free from psn. They were clearly trying to hit both and well ... missed the mark.
Nope, it’s casuals. And casuals don’t really care about gameplay trailers all that much. Especially when there’s already been a lot of them. This type of trailer appeals to them, but it’s also a callback to the original popular MK commercial of course. Just an all around smart and fun choice by the marketing team honestly.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
[/QUOTE]
Nope, it’s casuals. And casuals don’t really care about gameplay trailers all that much.
This new trailer has nothing to do with "casuals"... it has to do with tradition and older gamers. MK is deeply ingrained by nostalgia and its own history. The reason this trailer exists is that it is riffing on one of the most famous game trailer ever made. Many high level games have live action trailers. Starfield got one recently, for example. When your game is a 200+ million dollar production you need to get creative about things. MK is a massive franchise and lots of people get into it and this advertising is just a reflection of that.. They can afford it, and it hit different people and can be shown in different places. It is not complicated. Advertising works.

Shania Twain

Well I can respect where you guys are coming from and glad you enjoyed it. The game always struck me as appealing to a huge diverse audience. It made the women powerful, it inspired you to want to learn martial arts, exciting fun gameplay, respectful of other franchises, it appeals to straight, gay, different nationalities, and didn't take the fatalities to a disturbing level. So with that said ... I hope everyone gets lots of love out of the game and trailers. I did not intend to come off rude or disrespectful. So if people were impressed then that's awesome and i'm sure many will be. :)

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Well I can respect where you guys are coming from and glad you enjoyed it. The game always struck me as appealing to a huge diverse audience. It made the women powerful, it inspired you to want to learn martial arts, exciting fun gameplay, respectful of other franchises, it appeals to straight, gay, different nationalities, and didn't take the fatalities to a disturbing level. So with that said ... I hope everyone gets lots of love out of the game and trailers. I did not intend to come off rude or disrespectful. So if people were impressed then that's awesome and i'm sure many will be. :)