What's new

Mortal Kombat X Videos Project

chores

bad at things
So in awhile back on TYM there was a thread on way to improve the scene with the imminent release of MKX. Someone linked this site http://keeponrockin.meteor.com/Matches/ as an example. Its a basically a searchable/filterable database of matches that links to timestamped youtube videos or timestamped twitch VODs. I didn't think it would be too difficult to replicate so I threw up a rough draft:

http://www.mkxvids.net

What is up there now is an example of how it would look after the Fatal 8 tournament is completed (ignore the dates.) Now showing Fatal 8 vods. Each match is linked to a youtube video with the &t=1m1s style timestamp for when the match begins. You can use the search bar to search in multiple categories. For instance, typing "Tyrant" removes all matches where Tyrant isn't player1 or player2, but if you type "Tyrant Jax" it will only show matches with Tyrant where Jax is one of the characters used. I will work on being able to filter it a little better but this was my first attempt.

I figure as the game gets patched I will just archive the database for an older version and link to it from the main page, then just start fresh with the newer patch (instead of having all future versions of the game together) --

Also if anyone can help with timestamps once we start having weeklies and large tournies that would be awesome. You can email them to me at [email protected]

ANNNYYYWAYS all feedback is appreciated. Let me know your ideas!

@Pig Of The Hut

Last edited:

chores

bad at things
Yeap looks good.

Are you sure can handle managing all the timestamps by yourself?
It is doubtful but it depends on the volume of vids that get submitted to youtube or recorded as VODs on twitch. I could for certain do all tournaments, but if there are several different locals each week I may need some help. I'm sure I'll be able to find people to assist. I just want to see if there are any suggestions or feedback on the format.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
It is doubtful but it depends on the volume of vids that get submitted to youtube or recorded as VODs on twitch. I could for certain do all tournaments, but if there are several different locals each week I may need some help. I'm sure I'll be able to find people to assist. I just want to see if there are any suggestions or feedback on the format.
The format looks good. If a player uses multiple characters in one set, they'll show on the table easily right?

chores

bad at things
The format looks good. If a player uses multiple characters in one set, they'll show on the table easily right?
There's a couple different ways that would work. I would probably enter their character as "Kung Lao / Mileena" so that it would still be present if you searched for "REO Mileena"

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
There's a couple different ways that would work. I would probably enter their character as "Kung Lao / Mileena" so that it would still be present if you searched for "REO Mileena"
Yeah that's what I was thinking.

The whole thing looks good. Simple and efficient. It doesn't need to be fancy.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Might be worth to consider adding a filter for variations.
That'd make for some long video titles.
Some of those variations have got long names, too-- not sure if people could agree on abbreviations for character types.

KIllaByte

Yo @chores , have @Pig Of The Hut talk about this database on his next MKX podcast-- this functional database is something we all could benefit from, and there may be people who want to help you decorate the database, or something, who'll watch the podcast.
Edit:
Something to include may be the patch number, though that is told by the match dates, which you have on there--- maybe a little legend guide in a corner of the site that tells the dates of each patch, if htere is one?

chores

bad at things
Yo @chores , have @Pig Of The Hut talk about this database on his next MKX podcast-- this functional database is something we all could benefit from, and there may be people who want to help you decorate the database, or something, who'll watch the podcast.
Edit:
Something to include may be the patch number, though that is told by the match dates, which you have on there--- maybe a little legend guide in a corner of the site that tells the dates of each patch, if htere is one?
My idea for patches is that once a major balance patch drops just start a new database on the main page. I'll archive the current (old) database and put a link to it on the main page with the older patch version specified.

KIllaByte

Well, a lot of stuff has come out now with Northwest Majors, Battle and Brew, GameOn Buffalo, and FNF Atlanta's day before NWM tournament.
Looks overwhelming.
Should we open this video database up to the public, and have people add their own matches?

chores

bad at things
Well, a lot of stuff has come out now with Northwest Majors, Battle and Brew, GameOn Buffalo, and FNF Atlanta's day before NWM tournament.
Looks overwhelming.
Should we open this video database up to the public, and have people add their own matches?
man ive been so busy haha RL stuff has gotten in the way but i have several twitch VODs and youtube playlists bookmarked to sort through. id rather not open it to the public to prevent trolling but i wouldn't be opposed to adding database access to a few trusted individuals. alternatively you can post videos + timestamps with all the database criteria in this thread and ill add them asap