What's new

Mortal Kombat - The story thus far + story based character speculation

Noob
Well, apparently the story is similar to this: (taken from trmk.org)

It takes place after Armageddon: "So we're kind of doing a Back to the Future type of thing, where Raiden is about to be killed by Shao Kahn, and just before he delivers the last blow, he sends a mental message to his earlier self, so the camera rewinds back to Mortal Kombat 1. The Raiden from back then gets a message and he doesn't know what's going on, but he knows something bad's going to happen, and the game spans Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3, retelling the story with an enlightened Raiden, and he's changing the course of things, so everything you've seen happen before – Liu Kang winning, the guys turning into cybernetic ninjas, are changed around, so you might see a character become cybernetic who wasn't before, and so you see a different version [of events]."
I think this is how they will retcon the storyline of alot of people to clear up certain characters' existence in UMK3 and MK4... and possibly wipe the slate clean(or change the events) of MKDA through MKA.

If some ninjas aren't cybernetic, we may lose R.Smoke entirely and just keep H.Smoke. Or the complete reverse...we lose H.Smoke entirely and R.Smoke remains. We see Cyrax regains his soul, so he may not even be cybernetic at all. We see no Usub, because he has no scar, but since the game spans MK1-3, I think it might be before he got the scar. There's also the chance that SZ in the trailer is Classic SZ and his brother(USub) went cybernetic(instead of escaping while Smoke was caught).

I think there's a definite possibility that Quan Chi will be in the game because he was retconned into the storyline in MKM:Sub-Zero and that is canon to the story because it's when Classic SZ and Scorp first meet and where CSZ kills Scorp. This is all prior to MK1, actually, so if there is some change of events, then Quan could very well make his way into this game.

Boon is talking about a roster of about 26 characters, which is about the same as UMK3(23), so we aren't talking about too many changes from from classic chars that made it into MK-UMK3 with some possible differences.

Confirmed:
Scorpion
Mileena
Reptile
Sub-Zero
Kung Lao
Johnny Cage
Nightwolf
Sektor

Suspected: - I see no reason why these characters wouldn't be included, story wise.
Raiden
Smoke(in some form)
Ermac
Cyrax(in some form)
Sonya
Jax
Stryker
Kitana
Jade
Sheeva
Shang Tsung
Kabal
Kano
Liu Kang
Sindel

Possibilites
Quan Chi
Usub(in some form)
Noob(if the SZ in "Confirmed" is Usub already, then this is CSub in wraith form)
Rain(remember, MKT storyline supercedes UMK3 which supercedes MK3)
Shao Kahn - though, possibly not playable

SZSR

Noob
I like your roster, but i'm seeing Rain as a bigger possibility than Quan Chi now. Also, TRMK.org said something about 60 frames per second, wasn't that what MKvsDC was run on? I thought people said that was bad.

Noob
SF4 runs at 60fps... so I don't think it is all that bad.

I think Quan is actually higher on that list than Rain, and not because of Rain's existence in MKT, but because Quan had a greater impact on the story BEFORE MK1 than Rain ever has had period.

Remember, the SZ/Scorp death scenario was set up directly because of Quan's actions.

SZSR

Noob
SFIV ran at 60 fps ... did not know that. So i'm guessing it's the norm for fighters now.

As for Quan Chi, I don't deny his impact. I can think of 5 characters in MKA who wouldn't have had storylines behind them unless Quan Chi had his hand in it. I just think that Rain has a chance for what you said, being in 2D before Quan Chi was even in (He was in the MK3 attract mode and in the console versions of UMK3).

Noob
SFIV ran at 60 fps ... did not know that. So i'm guessing it's the norm for fighters now.

As for Quan Chi, I don't deny his impact. I can think of 5 characters in MKA who wouldn't have had storylines behind them unless Quan Chi had his hand in it. I just think that Rain has a chance for what you said, being in 2D before Quan Chi was even in (He was in the MK3 attract mode and in the console versions of UMK3).
Exactly why I picked him over Rain... Quan is too integral to the MK storyline to leave out if they're going to retcon anything.

Noob
Also remember, it's possible that Liu Kang never wins MK1... maybe Raiden does, or even Goro/Shang Tsung. If either of them win, then the events of MK2 would never need to actually happen, and the invasion of Earthrealm would start immediately after MK1, making MK3's storyline happen before MK2... seems plausible because that would mean we could get USub pre-scar(MK2 doesn't happen, and we can only assume that the scar happens somewhere between 2 and 3), and CSub in the form of Noob.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yeah it's very interesting, although I don't like how Shao Kahn is about to kill Raiden(yet many times Raiden has kicked Kahn's ass...) so I'm guessing Raiden of the future MKA who uses telepathy to his older self in the past(apparently another cool ability Raiden has which we've just learned) will be the Darker Raiden....

Which means Raiden's MKA and Kahn's MKA ending aren't canon then...

I just hope they don't alter too many things, this is kind of like a Terminator Scenario...where things alter but slightly in the future nothing too much that would change the entire storyline we've known for years because Boon said "you may see some changes" but nothing that will alter the ultimate story of MK.

Now they have to be more careful with the storyline whole because depending on what happens now may make some events of MKDA, MKD and MKA not canon...that were before...lol gotta love time travel haha.

I think C. Sub will still be Noob, but I'm thinking maybe they could do something where Cyrax or Smoke never existed in terms of a "cyborg form" and have someone else become a cyborg....who can be a new character entirely. If this is MK1-MK3 events, then Kabal is good here(well technically he was evil, then went good then back to evil in MKD/MKA events..) I'm guessing Ermac will be evil here as well since he was Kahn's puppet earlier before he turned good...

This can be very confusing depending on how it's explained lol but knowing Vogel I'm sure he'll clear everything up in the future.

Noob
The whole "who becomes a cyber-ninja" path is interesting to me because of how many different ways it could go. We could see USub get caught and made into a cyber-ninja, Cyrax get away, etc... we know Sektor is still a cyber though.

In terms of later games though, I wonder if maybe Boon wants to wipe that away and retcon the entire story post MK4.

About the only character I would like to see from the MKDA-MKA games would be Frost.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I actually want to play the story (single player) mode! Hopefully it's not as terrible as MKvsDC's...

MKF30

Yeah, I'm thinking someone else could take the place of Cyrax or Smoke(should one of them not be a cyborg which boon hinted)

I'm not sure I like Sub being a cyborg though...that's kind of weird lol although he would be perhaps stronger and more badass being a cybernetic cyromancer Ice Ninja lol

THe story looks and sounds cool, MKDC's was pretty good(but not canon to either universe) at least far better then MVC's lol....I liked how MK team and DC at least made an effort to put something together to explain it unlike other crossovers, MVC didn't explain much and SW characters in SC universe? yeah....dumb lol

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I never really paid much attention to the storyline, as a kid I only really ever played MK2/UMK3/MKT. When the 3D MK's came out, I hardly played them. Anyway, anyone have a link to the storyline or something? It would be nice if there was some kind of online book that told the story, from MK1-MKA.

JagoMIH

Noob
thanks np dude

considering the 8 confirmed characters and the random select slot, the other 17 chars id wanna see are

raiden
shao kahn
baraka
kabal
kitana
jade
cyrax
smoke
kenshi
li mei
kira
kobra
shang tsung
noob
sareena
kano
sonya

Tim Static

Adminerator
The only 2 post MK4 characters i'd want to see in this game would be Kenshi and Havik.

Other than that, i think it should be and will UMK3 minus Classic Sub, Jade & Sheeva plus Quan Chi and maybe just maybe, Tremor and Hydro lmao

I expect to see Sonya, Kitana, Jade, and Sindel in the select screen. Hopefully Tanya and Sareena are DLC.

Others that most of us have seen in the background of the stages such as Kira and Li Mei, may not be playable in the game at all especially because of the fact that they are wearing their MKA outfits.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Ermac has to be in it... him and Kabal. No post UMK3 characters, please. :)

MKF30

I really hope that one of those few surprises is Fujin, easily one of the key characters in the MK saga and is one of the post UMK3 characters(well technically he was introduced far before via Mythologies....) that is really cool.

If Fujin, Quan-Chi get in there which I hope as DLC or something if not one of the unlockables then I will be very happy. I'm SURE Ermac and Kabal will be in here...

Besides Fujin and Quan Chi making surprises, I also hope Sareena (since she appeared in MK: Mythologies) and Tanya become DLC too. Plus, I hope characters such as Kia, Jataaka, and Tremor will make their debut as playable characters along with "Hornbuckle" from MK2 (which I hope they come up with a story for because he was there in MK2 as a background character.) I hope Hornbuckle gets introduced just like Blaze did in MKDA.

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
Some of those surprises I want to see are those rumored characters and Tremor.
I hope Tanya becomes a DLC since she was seen making a cameo in Kahn's Kolliseum.

MKF30

Besides Fujin and Quan Chi making surprises, I also hope Sareena (since she appeared in MK: Mythologies) and Tanya become DLC too. Plus, I hope characters such as Kia, Jataaka, and Tremor will make their debut as playable characters along with "Hornbuckle" from MK2 (which I hope they come up with a story for because he was there in MK2 as a background character.) I hope Hornbuckle gets introduced just like Blaze did in MKDA.
Yeah definitely. Other day I was thinking how cool would it be if Tremor, Kia, Jataaka and perhaps Sareena made appearances.

I honestly wouldn't mind if Dairou and Havik showed up either at some point. To see 3D characters introduced in a 2D engine would be cool.