What's new

Mortal Kombat Revival

I'm working with classic animations too, like this ones:

Scorpion's MK2 Scissor Legs:

Cage's MKT Green Orb:

Jax's MK2 High Kick:

The idea is to have everything that is interesting from all 2D and 3D versions compiled into one character, not multiple spritesheets like MK1, MK2 and MK3 Scorpion.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I would prefer to have all the characters representing how they play from each game, mixed with the advantages of the UMK3 style, rather than making hybrid characters. This is mainly because, you shouldn't change or remove things from characters when they already exist for another. I can understand adding moves, like Scorpion's scissor takedown, since the character doesn't have many moves. Giving MK3 Jax MKII Jax's HK seems a bit superfluous since MK3 Jax's HK is good in itself. Cage's MKT style toss is purely cosmetic, but looks cool nonetheless.

you know what i always thought would be cool for scorpion, is like an anti air spear that goes up at an angle and yanks them down to the ground and causes a knockdown

I understand your opinion, but I plan something different; the reason why I have different kicks, like in Jax's case is because that's going to be used for my mode, in which Jax will play sort of like in MK2 (with MK2 Earthquake, Gotcha, Air Throw and so on) by default, and sort of like in MK3 in Enhanced Abilities Mode, that's why you see Jax is using something close to the MK2 stand animation while doing the MK2 kick. All those moves are already edited.

MK2 Earthquake:

MK2 Energy Wave:

Cage will be a fusion of all of Cage versions, with an special tribute to MK1, MK2 and MKT incarnations, I'm remaking almost all of MKT and MK1 animations for Cage because I want him to move and play exactly like MKT Cage by default, and MK2 Cage in EAM. He will have a Karate Stance with a lot of karate moves, kicks and stuffs which will be available in both modes, but in Enhanced Abilities Mode he will have more options. That karate stance is MK1 stand and will feature animations like MK1 uppercut, block, air punch, throw and stuffs like that.

The goal is to make those sprites compatible, you know... MK1 sprites and MKT sprites have a very different resolution, MK1 sprites also have a lot of shine, while MKT sprites almost have no sweat, not to mention both of them have an extremely low quality.

MK1 and MK2 sprites have a bigger head than MK3/UMK3 sprites, so I'm resizing Cage's head in all the sprites to match better the rest of UMK3 characters, so... if you want to play UMK3 Mode, you'll be able to play with MK2 Cage, with the enhanced outfist, but moving almost exactly like MKT Cage, and I mean crouch, roundhouse and everything.

MKT Low Kick:

Once we have UMK3 engine working perfectly, and if everything goes well we might be able to venturing in the emulation of MK1 or MK2 gameplay, using the same sprites just the way we're doing (thanks to Bleed's awesome programming) we could emulate a different gameplay, not just run and combos disabled, but different gravity, damage, commands and everything.

The reasons I don't want to have MK1, MK2 and MK3 versions for all characters are:
- It would be a heavier game.
- It would bring MK1 and MK2 Clone ninjas, which is something we're trying to fight by editing for example a different outfist for Scorpion.
- It would be something cheap like what we saw in MKT... with a lot of extra work (fatalities, run, combo moves and so on).
- It would cause a visual negative impact because we're trying to have an optimum visul quality, so having MK1 characters goes against that, and MK2 characters have bigger heads; they would have a huge contrast with UMK3 characters.

Working this way gives me the chance to do a lot more progress in terms of new possibilities for the characters, otherwise I would be stuck with old versions like forever doing basic moves and the game would merely be a crappy copy of MKT over 15 years later; so... we're only having one version of each character, but a good one, with pretty much all the moves they have had in all of the MK games; here are some examples:

MKA Spear Throw:

Air Counter:

Basic Being Hit 1:

Basic Being Hit 2:

Basic Block Transition:

Spear Stance Block Transition:

Notice that UMK3 mode won't have Counter, Spear stance or new crazy moves; the idea is to have a very close UMK3 engine emulation with UMK3 / MKT moves only, new elements in the gameplay will be in Mode 2 and Mode 3 mostly, but as you can see all modes earn something, for instance Scorpion now has original animations to get hit, in UMK3 all ninjas had the same animation, also there is a transition from high block to low block, and once we are done with Scorpion, he will have his own look too.

This way, if we emulate MK1 for example, Scorpion will have the new outfist, same sprites for all modes, but when he does his teleport punch (not possible while in the air), he will have MK1 effect, and MK1 gravity and all.

Finally, I want to mention there are differences between our project and almost every other mugen project:
- The programming is a lot better, and we are listening to the hardcore players to make it very competitive.
- We are not aiming for quantity, we want quality (check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbVAz19jmyo&feature=related a good example of what we don't want).
- We have different gameplay modes.
- We actually do new moves that look like they were captured from actors, something almost unexistent in most mugen projects.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Threw together a couple more examples. Obviously these are not to be taken as finalized, but the hits involved, perhaps with some mods to the feet and forward movements to make them look a little more natural and impactful, and of course other combos to follow, hits added, removed, etc. For some reason the browser doesn't seem to do the frames with the speed I've selected. This is pretty annoying.

Okay... in the first combo, the the second hit looks weird, I don't know why you propose using his fireball animation and fatality animation... last hit will never connect, as for the kick combo, doing a knee with one leg, then the other doesn't look natural to me, same with the high kicks, see how his standing leg changes and moves in impossible ways.

Bleed already did like a lot of moves for MK2 Tsung... you might like it, but I'm curious about your proposition, I don't really get why you're animating this combo examples?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I already said they need modifications for speed, they aren't lined up 100%, and maybe taking lower halves from other animations to give some forward movement, but I'm showing some uses for other animations, because I see a ton of combos that repeat hits and throw in uppercuts just for knock downs in MUGEN games. As for frames changing in impossible ways, those types of things happen all over the place in UMK3 combos.

I also said Bleed have already edited a lot of moves for this character man, including close hits for combos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDG4VvQAb8g&feature=channel_video_title

That's part 1 out of 4 videos just showing Tsung's movelist; you are right about most mugen games but that happens because the kind of edits Bleed and I do is not something you can find everywhere; most people cannot do it or just doesn't have the dedication to do it.

I like specific animations for each case, you know... like if this project were an official MK game. But I do appreciate your efford, if you want I can help you become a good editor yourself, is not that hard and it will give you the chance to create whatever you have in mind.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
There's so much excess stuff there, and I would be extremely surprised if you would be able to manage it all, make it all practical, useful, and balanced. This is why I always stress creating an engine that is the UMK3 engine first, then add stuff as you go. You have moves and concepts ready to put into a game, but you don't have a game. Every single mugen project without exception has just piled on frivolous moves and concepts without ever once getting to a finished product. This has been discussed before, and the reason, no one has a vision. My vision right now is UMK3ify all existing 2D MK characters, and complete move lists, finishers, and animations, which has been done. For example, there are animations for Run for all characters now, and animations for all MK3 and later characters to receive fatalities from MK and MKII, and not look like MK3. At the same time, I would also like to keep those concepts in the game as well, having everything. There's a lot to be done, but it's pointless to do anything without an engine that's playable. I want something I can present to people at tournaments and say "Play this, you won't know the difference." Only when this is completed can you start to add all these new features. You can't make these things work without a foundation and using the basic mugen engine alone is failure in the making. All these animations and what not will be just that. It shouldn't take over half a decade to make a single game based on 2D MK sprites, but it has because the ideas keep changing. Mine never has and few people want to work with me.

Bleed

Noob
Yeah, the reason I added all those moves is because I had no intention of making a copy of an existing MK game. I like to play Tekken and Virtua Fighter more than MK, so I put a lot of those types of ideas in to it.

Later I started changing stuff to copy UMK3, when FrozenWorm asked me to help with the code. So taking an experimental character and molding it to something more like UMK3. Interloko is taking over that part now, so he's totally in to the exact emulation of MK. He's got more interest in doing that, and he's a better coder than me.

I think I'm going to be working more with abstract concepts for the engine, and 3D props for the stages.

The 3D characters are for my own thing that I want to do, so I can do all the animations I want without editing the low res sprites.

The combos Shock posted are the type of stuff I would add with that. Maybe separating them in to parts where you dash while doing the combos, so they hit as the enemy staggers back... Like with the DOA critical stun.

I am very surprised to see that this topic doesn't have much response from people here other than Shock, but I like to see people check it a lot, so I decided to show some more animations:

This vertical jump is something new, all ninjas in UMK3 have a default animation, I changed that using Jax's vertical jump as an inspiration.

Some information now... like Bleed said, we have a very talented programmer working in every little detail of UMK3 engine, along with Shock's unvaluable help, we're getting a pretty good job; everyone is doing their part except for me because I'm in vacations.

Bleed have been working in an alpha demo of MKR original gameplay which should be very useful for testing the gameplay concept and decide it's final shape... what should be there, and what should change, in universal terms; Check already accepted taking part in this debate, which is always a good thing.

Interloko, by his side will be releasing his progress in UMK3 emulation for internal test, so I think Shock and Check might be able to tell if we're going in the right direction or not pretty soon.

Hopefully we will be releasing some gameplay videos for the comunity in general, to show part of the progress to those who are not involved.

Finally, I'm glad to announce we have some new members in the project... JosephZA and Fireboy; two very talented people; both of them are working in Scorpion's new outfist with me, so now we are going to be 3 people working on this (because it's a very demanding and hard design, and also because of the huge number of sprites), but we are confident we will be able to deliver an excelent result by the release of our first beta.

Bleed

Noob
Here's the first test animation for my sprites.

WIP, there's still some work I want to do on this. Better textures, some skinning problems... little things here and there.

I don't know if I can make them photoreal, I haven't tried taking it that far yet.

Here's a pit bottom I did in 3D also.

The roundhouse seems to snap back to his fighting pose too quickly.

other than that, I, like most, would suggest getting the UMK3 gameplay down and solid before you dick with anything else.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The roundhouse seems to snap back to his fighting pose too quickly.

other than that, I, like most, would suggest getting the UMK3 gameplay down and solid before you dick with anything else.
The project is going well, we're working together.

Some updates...

Jade's Desert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_IcMSI1Yt8&feature=channel_video_title

This video features some gameplay from Sannamy's MK Berserker; is not the gameplay intended for MKR.

We are also working in the Living Forest, giving animation to every single tree in the stage:

Not all trees will scream; this one for example only changes the way he looks at the combatants:

Also, we're working in a new outfist for Scorpion:
Air Low Kick:

Air High Kick:

There are a lot of people behind this; they should be credited once we release our first beta, which is not going to be anytime soon.

This is only a piece of what we're doing right now; we want to keep some stuffs as a secret for you guys to see it in videos and eventually to play it for the first time in MK Revival.

Because I want better stages. Try to get in your head this is not UMK3, also, UMK3 desn't have a Living Forest Stage, and just so you know... MK2 Living Forest wasn't real... it's an arcaic drawn.

This stage will have some interactive elements, and several animations... soon I'll post a video about this.