What's new

Mortal Kombat 9 General Discussion & Survey Inside

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Copy and paste this list to fill out the survey

What were your first thoughts seeing this trailer as a whole?

Were you satisfied with the characters you saw?

While it's hard to tell if this game is 2D or 3D, which would you prefer?

What was your fav. arena shown?

Do you think that this game has some serious potential or does it look like another MKvsDC to you?

Are you hoping for DLC? (downloadable content like extra fighters, etc)

Is your fav. character is the trailer?

Do you think this game will bring MK back on the map?

While no new characters were shown, do you think we'll see alot of new fighters?

Rate the trailer from 1-10:

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
What were your first thoughts seeing this trailer as a whole? Big Potential, and props to WB Games.

Were you satisfied with the characters you saw? No. I need my Smoke!

While it's hard to tell if this game is 2D or 3D, which would you prefer? It's not hard to tell, its obviously 2D. And yes, I'm very satisfied. :top:

What was your fav. arena shown? The Bridge, hands down!

Do you think that this game has some serious potential or does it look like another MKvsDC to you? It definitely has potential. And no, it looks nothing like MKvsDC.

Are you hoping for DLC? (downloadable content like extra fighters, etc) Yes, but more than anything. I need my patch in case of a few flaws.

Is your fav. character is the trailer? No.

Do you think this game will bring MK back on the map? Possibly, yes. And it makes me very happy.

While no new characters were shown, do you think we'll see alot of new fighters? I sure damn hope not... lol

Rate the trailer from 1-10: 7, simply because I want to see more.

Dark_Rob

Noob
What were your first thoughts seeing this trailer as a whole? It looks cool, but thats what trailors are designed to do. I need to see more.

Were you satisfied with the characters you saw? The characters looked good for the ones I saw, Its the properties of the game that most concern me.

While it's hard to tell if this game is 2D or 3D, which would you prefer? 2D. It looks 2.5D But lets hope it plays like a 2D game.

What was your fav. arena shown? Living forest and deadpool looked cool

Do you think that this game has some serious potential or does it look like another MKvsDC to you? To early to tell. The trailor was long on hype and short on details. I cant make an informed judgement yet.

Are you hoping for DLC? (downloadable content like extra fighters, etc) Id rather get the whole game at once then have to download some of it afterwards. Just give it to us all at once..stop with the sales gimmicks.

Is your fav. character is the trailer?No but reptile and Kung Lao looked good...Of course I want Human Smoke.

Do you think this game will bring MK back on the map? MK is already on the map. See here http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=239262

While no new characters were shown, do you think we'll see alot of new fighters? There saying its a reboot of the series so I doubt it

Rate the trailer from 1-10: 5

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Very, very impressed. Before I saw the trailer, I could've cared less about MK9 altogether, honestly. But seeing this brought back some hope within the game.

Only character I actually care about is Reptile...and he's in, so yeah lol.

Heh, truth be told, it's not hard to tell, actually. Looking at the design of stages like The Pit and Dead Pool, you can easily see the game is played completely on a 2D plane. But honestly, I don't have a preference, though I acknowledge that MK has statistically been better as 2D.

By far, Dead Pool. I love the extra environmental touches they've done to it, like the chains dropping corpses into the acid bath.

Do you think that this game has some serious potential or does it look like another MKvsDC to you?
MKDC had a lot of potential. Its engine as a base, IMO, could've been made into something great with a bit of tweaking. From the looks of it, MK9 is definitely going back to that engine, though they're cutting out the sidestep...which in itself isn't bad at all. The new "gimmick", tag battles, looks like it'll be one of the better gimmicks Boon & Co. has come up with, that's for sure.

Extra fighters would be nice down the line, for sure. I don't care too much about it...if they have them, they have them. I'm just hoping that gameplay patches will be made, if problems do arise.

Hell yeah! Reptile whoo!

Can't say for sure, but it looks like it could if everything goes well.

While no new characters were shown, do you think we'll see alot of new fighters?
Nah...I would be surprised if we see any, actually. I'd be surprised if there were more than 2 3D MK characters.

8 outta 10. So far, MK9 looks much better than I originally anticipated. Hopefully it plays a lot better than I originally anticipated too.

Storms: What were your first thoughts seeing this trailer as a whole?

Check: Surprised

Storms: Were you satisfied with the characters you saw?

Check: Mostly new characters that werent in MKvsDC. Smart marketing move by them.

Storms: While it's hard to tell if this game is 2D or 3D, which would you prefer?

Check: 2D because they obviously cant make a 3D game right.

Storms: What was your fav. arena shown?

Check: The Pit

Storms: Do you think that this game has some serious potential or does it look like another MKvsDC to you?

Check: Another MKvsDC for sure.

Storms: Are you hoping for DLC? (downloadable content like extra fighters, etc)

Check: Yes.

Storms: Is your fav. character is the trailer?

Check: Yea, Kenshi :(

Storms: Do you think this game will bring MK back on the map?

Check: As long as i am there to sustain it for another 2 years.

Storms: While no new characters were shown, do you think we'll see alot of new fighters?

Check: No

Rate the trailer from 1-10: 10. Nice job showing off various improvements from mkvsdc.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Copy and paste this list to fill out the survey

I was WOWed... :D

Yes, very much but I'd like to see more of the classic like Kabal, etc.

2D... and by the looks it might be 2D!

I'm loving Kahn's arena! It's about time there's an audience!

I do think this game has serious potential... 100%

Of course!

With every game it seems I have a new fav. i.e. MKD is was N/S... so it's too soon to tell.

Yes, I do. Go, WB!

Nah, maybe a few but not many if any at all.

8... I want to see more!
Mine. :)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What were your first thoughts seeing this trailer as a whole? I liked it, though the gameplay still looks slow and clunky. Also the lack of run button scares me.

Were you satisfied with the characters you saw? Not really, I want Human Smoke and Ermac. Also Scorpion but he will be in it anyway.

While it's hard to tell if this game is 2D or 3D, which would you prefer? 2D by far. 3D MK games have been fail.

What was your fav. arena shown? I liked them all.

Do you think that this game has some serious potential or does it look like another MKvsDC to you? It could have potential, don't really know much about it so couldn't say. I think the 4player 2v2 will be interesting though.

Are you hoping for DLC? (downloadable content like extra fighters, etc) No, I hope they put everything in the game beforehand, so I don't have to buy pointless shit.

Is your fav. character is the trailer? Nope.

Do you think this game will bring MK back on the map? It could, if the game is good and we get an offline scene going.

While no new characters were shown, do you think we'll see alot of new fighters? Maybe, lol don't really know.

Rate the trailer from 1-10: 7

Decapre

Noob
This is bad ass! I want more!

Yea, but no one I want to main.

Honestly, I prefer 2D. SF has changed my preferences :D

The Living Forest

Yea. No, it looks a lot different from MKDC

Hell yea. Hopefully they have more characters than there were in MKDC.

Nope :\

Yea.. Hope it does.

Yea.. I'm down for some cool new characters

A 7 at the moment. I need to see more.

Noob
Excited at first, but then concerned...and still concerned.

Not sure... looks are deceiving and I fell for it for MKDC which looked good in trailers. The gameplay looked to be fast and furious, but with no run how fast and aggressive can it be?

Looks to be 2d plane... do I really need to answer which one I would prefer?

remake of the pit/pit 2 stage

MKDC had potential, but the game was not well implemented. Of course I think it has potential, but it depends on the properties of the characters and moves themselves. There is A LOT of recycled animation in this game...and that's part of my concern...if Boon and Co. are willing to recycle animation from MKDA in MK9(you can see it, it's evident in many of the moves in the trailer), how much more gameplay are they willing to recycle? If this is MKDC without a sidestep, then it's still MKDC no matter which way you slice it.

No...more money for more characters? Fail...

GET OVE...... nope...

"With a lot of the recent hype over Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 tournaments..." - SRK Article on June 10, 2010 ... This IS the map... congratulations everyone.

If it's a return to series roots, prob not many. I think that the name of the game, "Mortal Kombat" without any number is an indication that we will only see characters from MK1 - UMK3

4 - All show, no substance.

Tim Static

Adminerator

I was shocked it was released so soon, i guess. I was shocked to see it. I was even more bummed i had to work and miss todays festivities. :(

no

2d. 3D is the single worst thing the franchise can do. I could go on and on but if its 3d again, MK is dead.

Kahn's arena, by far. but they all looked great.

its got potential. all we've seen is just this trailer. Find it hard to draw any conclusions yet

Of course :)

Yea, he is at the beginning, but wasnt in the gameplay shown after.

It could....if it works. Same with the possibility of the movie series being brought back to life.....and of course the events @ ECT2!!!

yes

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
While considering all of the camera angles... I would say that this game is 2D. :D :D :D :D

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
“We can’t wait for players to get their hands on Mortal Kombat,” said Ed Boon, Creative Director, NetherRealm Studios. “This game really is a response to what players have been demanding: mature presentation, reinvented 2D fighting mechanic and the best, most gruesome fatalities ever!”
2D! That about confirms it. :D

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Seems the game is not going by Mortal Kombat 9, but rather just Mortal Kombat...judging from Boon's comment.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Seems the game is not going by Mortal Kombat 9, but rather just Mortal Kombat...judging from Boon's comment.
Yea from what I understand its a reboot of the series. Like a fresh start. Lets hope its a good one........(HP,HK,LP,LK,Bl,Rn) :)

AC1984

Kaballin!

ME:Mixed feelings, the game has a huge potential to become SF4 equivalent but there are a lot of stuff that need to be improved.

ME:Yes, but I am 100% sure that there are more.

ME: 100% 2D

ME:All of them, maybe the dead pool where they submerge the freaks in the acid.

ME: As I mentioned the game has a lot of potential but there are some stuff like MKDC and I hope that Boon and Co will take that garbage out of the game.

ME: i don't really care...

ME: Yes, all of the classic MK characters (MK1-UMK3) are there so I'm more than happy about it.

ME:Only if its good, competitive, fast and mentally challenging.

While no new characters were shown, do you think we'll see a lot of new fighters?

ME: I hope not....In my opinion after 1996 the only characters that have some sort of originality are Tanya, Fujin,Quan Chi,Reiko and Shinok....MK has more than enough iconic characters...no need to add more that usually look like clowns.

ME: lets say 7.5/10

Solo

Shadow Priest
I'm so fucking ready to use Kung Lao!!!!!!!

Storms, Bone, Boss, Kung Lao sig? Please?

BOSSETTE

Noob
-At first I was like, FINALLY, good graphics - but then... 2011, WTF.

-I wanted to see Kitana. :(

-3D.

-That one dead pool place similar to the one in MK2.

-Couldn't tell that much from the trailer, but I think it'll be better than mkdc.

-Sure? Depends what characters there already are.

-NO! :(

-Definitely.

-We better.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Awesome, hopeful and can't wait to see more. This game will be good.

Yes, but I hope we see Ermac, Fujin and perhaps Kabal show up

I prefer 2D personally but MKSM And MKDC were very good games regardless of the hate on them

Loved all of them lol but my favs were...The Pit II and Deadpool by farrr!! Especially DP lol, the background is just warped guy hanging on a hook being dipped in acid? wow

Hell yeah it has serious potential, MK 2D=instant win and this game doesn't look that much like MKDC...might have some of it's gameplay mechanics back but it doesn't mean it'll be the same game and I'm sure it won't be since MKDC wasn't "100% 2D", MK9 on the other hand will be

Sure, but honestly I don't want to pay for a costume ripoff like SF4 or SC something, maybe more arenas though and definitely patches if necessary(since WB has MK now, I'm confident they'll deliver if need be)

Third favorite, but not #1 favorite...Sektor is in there classic with his seekers, pro move missles=I'm very happy but I do hope to see Ermac, Fujin show up

Do you think this gamewill bring MK back on the map?
MK has been back on the map since MKDC and MKSM, MK9 being 2D again will only increase that...so is MK on the map? Is the sky blue on a sunny day? Yep

I think we'll see some new faces but not a lot

Rate the trailer from 1-10: 9 out of 10, it shows just enough to get an idea of what to expect and I like what I see so far!

Long live MK!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It looks like they kept the klose kombat mode from mkdc. I hope they take free fall kombat away.
It could be a brutality, which would be awesome. Though, I doubt there will be free fall kombat.

AC1984

Kaballin!
"Do you think this gamewill bring MK back on the map?
MK has been back on the map since MKDC and MKSM, MK9 being 2D again will only increase that...so is MK on the map? Is the sky blue on a sunny day? Yep"

......Wow, have been dreaming or hallucinating???

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Neither, just being realistic perhaps you've been out of the loop.......
You can believe whatever you want, fact is MKSM was a good game and MKDC despite how people on a few sites feel about it, WAS a good game....

MK9 I can tell you right now has some similar MKDC elements as well as 2D ones, the fact that it's 2D again period will get tons of attention.