What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 Has Player 1 Advantage

Kal

<3
It will get fixed, not sure why everyone is so upset
People clowning with some of these comments. Guys relax it will get fixed but hey people wanted MK9 back so badly.
Because it shouldn't have come out this way. Because just like everything else in this game, this is just another reason why the game feels rushed, unfinished, and half assed.

Because it's not just one thing, just another reason added to the collection of shit housery by NRS.

Hot_DNA

Noob
Most of the people going off in this thread wouldn't even have known about this is somebody didn't make a 10 minute video on it lol

It sucks, but hey, y'all wanted MK to be busted again, so here you go

Calm your titties, it'll get fixed
People get all worked up about nothing, the game is amazing

Most of the people going off in this thread wouldn't even have known about this is somebody didn't make a 10 minute video on it lol

It sucks, but hey, y'all wanted MK to be busted again, so here you go

Calm your titties, it'll get fixed
I don't play for money so it doesn't matter to me if there are differences which will eventually get fixed but I think people probably noticed something off but blamed themselves or lag or something else, not thinking that there would be such an egregious fault with the game itself.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
It will get fixed, not sure why everyone is so upset
There was a number of issues in MK9 that NRS said couldn't be fixed due to the way the game was coded. Years later, a community patch fixed the majority of those problems. Prepare to be told something can't be fixed when in reality WB doesn't want to pay for the man hours to fix it.

Man people need to chill.

Gameplay wise mk1 is one of the best ever. This is a pretty hard to catch issue (given how rare it is) and so long as they fix it, is basically nothing in the scheme of things.

I see a lot of people complaining about customization and the like, which I get, but frankly I'll take no customization and mk1's gameplay vs ALL the customization and mk11's gameplay. Double so because they almost always make it a massive pain in the ass to unlock anything, meaning that people like me who only have so much time never see it AND we never see it at tournaments either. What a waste of dev time.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Man people need to chill.

Gameplay wise mk1 is one of the best ever. This is a pretty hard to catch issue (given how rare it is) and so long as they fix it, is basically nothing in the scheme of things.

I see a lot of people complaining about customization and the like, which I get, but frankly I'll take no customization and mk1's gameplay vs ALL the customization and mk11's gameplay. Double so because they almost always make it a massive pain in the ass to unlock anything, meaning that people like me who only have so much time never see it AND we never see it at tournaments either. What a waste of dev time.
Almost everyone loves the way the game plays, it's a blast and I've never had this strong of a first impression with an NRS game specifically in terms of how it plays.

But let's not act like it's an either / or situation. The customization and extras being good doesn't have to come at the expense of the gameplay if they finish the game before it is released. It is a pain in the ass to unlock crap I agree, but it is by design. If the unlocks weren't designed so poorly and was actual meaningful content to unlock things, then it wouldn't be a waste of dev time. I'm in a similar boat to you in that I can't play more than like 5-6 hours on the most carefree week of my life, which makes the bugs plaguing my limited play time piss me off even more.

I don't see people foaming at the mouth at this issue in particular, rather the lack of QOL features detailed in that massive thread, the worst offline content in NRS history by a country mile, and an online experience that is a direct downgrade to MK11. The issues are more than the sum of their parts, and I think people "confused" at why people are frustrated understand this perfectly well.

No shit the game will be patched guys, believe it or not we know that. We don't like the most expensive MK game yet, with the power of hindsight from 5 past titles, LAUNCHING so barebones and buggy. We also know game development is hard, but we aren't game developers, we are the consumer. If I ordered a pizza and they forgot half the toppings, nobody would tell me "give it a shot yourself wise guy, more goes into making a pizza than you think." Yes it's an extremely stupid analogy, but regardless of the circumstances, this is the product that was released, for $70-$110. We aren't being obtuse or purposely shitty for feeling this way.

Based on gameplay alone, this should have been hands down, bar none, the greatest MK game of all time. The MK community copes hard as fuck and everyone was very excited for this game, so for it to still be seen as a disappointment to even the people who love the mechanics isn't just people bitching. People dropped a minimum of $70 on this and it is a let down in terms of value.

That being said, NRS shouldn't be harassed. They obviously worked their asses off on this game and it is genuinely plausible that they were forced to release it this year. They're probably more frustrated with the current state of MK1 than anyone else because they obviously have great aspirations for this game, and I have no doubt that it will at some point reach the heights they imagined. It is just a shame that it wasn't the version that released. I'm not talking about balance at all, goofy shit is inevitable at launch if they want anyone to have fun, strictly the lack of polish. WB is an F tier game publisher, but NRS deserves respect and compassion. They probably also can't be as open as they may like because of the publisher. This might be cope, but I do like NRS a lot and they're responsible for a lot of good memories of mine. You can tell when a game is a soulless piece of shit and MK1 isn't, it has the skeleton of the best game they have ever made.

However, that doesn't mean the consumers should be asked to pull their punches when criticizing a game of any kind. Especially not the "be grateful" nonsense (which I don't see on TYM, but elsewhere), no we spent our money on this game, I have bought less expensive games even in the modern era that offer better quality content, it is the consumer that makes game development possible, so we have a right to feel any type of way about something we buy. We spent money on it and have literally bought in to being able to talk about the game itself however we want, so long as the anger starts and ends with the game and isn't directed towards the people who made it.

But let's not act like it's an either / or situation.
But it literally is. People have 0 concept of what actually goes on in development, and in business, and live in this magical world where everything is as easy as they think it should be. They switched from their heavily customized version of UE3 to UE4 and that's a TON of work, not to mention institutional knowledge lost as people relearn things they already knew how to do, remake things they used to have, and have to convert things that already existed.

The absurd amount of non core gameplay content MK11 had does not magically transfer over to mk1, and given that basically every mk game they remake a vast majority of the core system AND the assets, they're even further behind the ball vs something like Tekken which had a brouhaha (seemingly unjustified) because they dared to severely shake up the formula for the first time in 20 years and suddenly everyone's afraid their Korean BDC muscle memory might be wrong and they'll plummet to trash tier.

The idea that this bug is somehow indicative of the game being rushed out is laughable and shows how ignorant of QA the vast majority of people are, and how hard it is to catch stuff (and what kind of stuff they're looking for).

As for holding them accountable? Absolutely. The singleplayer is, at best, lackluster, and invasion mode's a joke. I'm never going to say they're good, but you could drop those from the game and I'd still buy it because I don't care. I do think they should spend some time cleaning them up to some extent, but people way underestimate how much time it takes in just asset and UI work alone to get modes like that created.

Pretending that they don't cost time and money is just naive foolishness, and i'd much rather have a game worth getting better at if NRS is focusing resources. Especially when for the first time in awhile the FGC has a plethora of other things to focus their time on.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
you could drop those from the game and I'd still buy it because I don't care.
That's all you needed to say dude.

The point I'm making is that it wouldn't be an either or if the game was released when it was COMPLETE. They're both components of the entire "package", making them both quality should be the baseline, bare minimum standard. I do empathize with NRS as I said and this was obviously a grueling development. But regardless, this game launched in a worse state than it's 5 predecessors at a higher price. Is it rushed or is it shit? I'm more inclined to say it was just rushed.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
lmao yall have no idea what real p1 advantage is like, btw this is just a bug with certain characters, I cannot find any examples of UNIVERSAL PLAYER 1 ADVANTAGE. Stop baiting people off of mk9's legacy, yall barely even understood p1 advantage in that too

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
White Knighting NRS doesn’t justify what is essentially a shit product. I’m sorry, but it is. The moment to moment gameplay and visuals are good, and there’s a decent story mode, but that’s literally where the positives end.

-A complete lack of customization content established in previous games
-Black screen glitch
-Moves list for Brutalities incorrect
-Brutalities simply not working
-Player one advantage
-A horde of bugs in general related to Brutalities, graphics, etc.
-A terrible single player experience with Invasion Mode
-Barebones online modes
-A training mode that is glitched all to hell
-Megan Fox

If I spend $110 on a game, I expect a finished product. Not an investment into what could potentially be a finished product at some unknown point in time. Lesson learned.

Luckily, we once again have the greatest community manager ever, discussing football games on Twitter, instead of actually engaging with the players and giving them any sense of security of what’s going on behind the scenes, acknowledging feedback, or providing a roadmap of any kind.

Bravo NRS/WB, Bravo.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
He didn't "white knight" anything. He just pointed out that this bug is nothing like P1 advantage which was a thing in MK9. He's right. Nothing more.
It's a different bug and not as bad as P1 advantage in MK9, but it still breaks competitive play. I think that's where the comparison is coming from. I've already done an offline event and a couple people are questioning their p2 losses now that they've labbed it and found out their main can't do all their combos.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
He didn't "white knight" anything. He just pointed out that this bug is nothing like P1 advantage which was a thing in MK9. He's right. Nothing more.
He wasn't replying to Mikemetroid specifically and listed several other grievances with the game, even though acting like this is the same thing as MK9 P1 advantage is incorrect. It was obviously directed at the "but making games is hard" crowd, he's understandably disappointed with the product he spent his money on.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
There was a number of issues in MK9 that NRS said couldn't be fixed due to the way the game was coded. Years later, a community patch fixed the majority of those problems. Prepare to be told something can't be fixed when in reality WB doesn't want to pay for the man hours to fix it.
Facts.

I don't care if it's going to be fixed or not.
You released this game after four years of work in a state that makes the game one-sided. I do not understand how that slips through the cracks.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Because it shouldn't have come out this way. Because just like everything else in this game, this is just another reason why the game feels rushed, unfinished, and half assed.

Because it's not just one thing, just another reason added to the collection of shit housery by NRS.
Bro people were dick riding SF6 just to now be shitting on it. Same with Guilty Gear Strive and even Melty Blood because people hated how shield worked in that game. People need to stop acting like the sky is falling when something big drops. This same company people flipping out over increased the movement speed and brought back breakers. And oh, they also sped up throws as well. They listen to fans. I have learned being in the FGC people, no matter the community, love to complain and legit go into bashing the devs instead of playing the game. It's why some are kind of sick of the western FGC because it's always some silly drama.

Oh they also just fixed the major issue people were having on PC. They're not above criticism don't get it twisted but people are clowning on it being rushed or half assed. Are their bugs? But this game isn't rushed. You want rush? Go play MK vs. Dc. Go play MKA. That is rush. Hell even Cyberpunk 2077 falls under that list. I say this while I have been fighting to get this game to run on my PC. I wish they would focus on making better PC ports than trying to make the game run on shitty hardware like Switch.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
But it literally is. People have 0 concept of what actually goes on in development, and in business, and live in this magical world where everything is as easy as they think it should be. They switched from their heavily customized version of UE3 to UE4 and that's a TON of work, not to mention institutional knowledge lost as people relearn things they already knew how to do, remake things they used to have, and have to convert things that already existed.

The absurd amount of non core gameplay content MK11 had does not magically transfer over to mk1, and given that basically every mk game they remake a vast majority of the core system AND the assets, they're even further behind the ball vs something like Tekken which had a brouhaha (seemingly unjustified) because they dared to severely shake up the formula for the first time in 20 years and suddenly everyone's afraid their Korean BDC muscle memory might be wrong and they'll plummet to trash tier.

The idea that this bug is somehow indicative of the game being rushed out is laughable and shows how ignorant of QA the vast majority of people are, and how hard it is to catch stuff (and what kind of stuff they're looking for).

As for holding them accountable? Absolutely. The singleplayer is, at best, lackluster, and invasion mode's a joke. I'm never going to say they're good, but you could drop those from the game and I'd still buy it because I don't care. I do think they should spend some time cleaning them up to some extent, but people way underestimate how much time it takes in just asset and UI work alone to get modes like that created.

Pretending that they don't cost time and money is just naive foolishness, and i'd much rather have a game worth getting better at if NRS is focusing resources. Especially when for the first time in awhile the FGC has a plethora of other things to focus their time on.

It's not that the game is bad, but some things SHOULD definitely be better, we are in 2023, there is 0 excuse to release a fighting game in this state, specially when MK sells as it sells in less than 5 years, most of the features feels outdated as hell

searching for a match it's a nightmare, in 2023 and NRS can't still add a connection quality filter, we are forced to stare at the screen while looking for a match.

The worst part, America and Europe are playing a complete different game compared to Africa and Middle East, there are ppl in Africa as i am, who haven't found a single online match since the closed beta until now, and even playing against opponents in the same city we have a 400ms ping setting us apart, we didn't pay $110 to play training mode and invasions for 2 years.

You are saying chill, imagine the frustration to what these ppl are feeling, its unacceptable to release games in such state, overcharge money for it and then come with the excuse that it will be fixed later, that's bullshit.

We need to start holding investors, publishers and devs alike accountable for rushing shit up, in this game, the good name of mortal kombat was used once again to bait ppl to buy a game that could definitely take more time to marinate, which didn't happen.

The thing I don't understand is how people think saying "No it wasnt' rushed!" helps to defend NRS in any way. I have empathy for NRS if WB rushed their game out the door because that sucks for them as they're being caught in the middle. It is not NRS' fault in that situation.

On the other hand, if this game WASN'T rushed and this is just what they gave us? Yeah it makes them look wildly incompetent and detached from what the standard is in fighting games and what their community wanted. It makes NRS look WAY worse.

I think it was rushed. I'm giving NRS the benefit of the doubt.