What's new

Mortal Kombat 1’s New “Invasions” Mode Revealed

"So mario party with a character sheet because that Baldur's Gate thing is exploding".

Honestly could be worse. We'll see how creative/clever they are with it. As others have mentioned dumb random shit isn't great, and if it's just "have more hp/hit harder" it's going to be pretty boring, but if the casual's love it, hey that's a chance for more dlc characters. There's probably something neat they could make here but i'm not sure they should split the resources for it

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
The mode does seem more fun than something like ToT at first glance

I’m just hoping it stays that way and doesn’t feel like the same shit with a new look after a few months. I kinda rolled my eyes once I saw the random match modifiers again lmao. I’ll be open minded though

The way I took the kameo unlocks is that you're unlocking the ability to choose that kameo in Invasions mode, not like you don't have access to that kameo at all.

I think this looks fun, but the devil will be in the details. I'm not in principle against stuff like modifiers, but what I'm against is thoughtlessness about which modifiers are in play. So if it's rockets/invincibility/lasers/farts to the point that my character can't move or attack unless I trigger a smorgasbord of konsumables, I am not interested in that. If it's like "oh you have to flawless block attacks" or "you'll do more damage if you're an ice character", that's okay with me.

I'm excited for some amount of character progression/customization though. I'm a sucker for that kind of shit and spent a bunch of time in Injustice 2 tweaking different characters and stuff.

Invasion Mode looks AWESOME! One of the best things about Deception Konquest was exploring the various realms and getting to experience the world of MK that you'd only hear about in text (bios, ending) or see glimpses of in the stages. And this looks like it will capture that same magic! The fact that you can enter Cage Mansion and walk around and see the different rooms is extremely appealing to me.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Invasion Mode looks AWESOME! One of the best things about Deception Konquest was exploring the various realms and getting to experience the world of MK that you'd only hear about in text (bios, ending) or see glimpses of in the stages. And this looks like it will capture that same magic! The fact that you can enter Cage Mansion and walk around and see the different rooms is extremely appealing to me.
yeah this already looks way better than that boring World Tour mode from SF6 :p

Zviko

Noob
Why not, though? Isn't the whole point of putting exclusive mode unlocks to entice and reward players for playing a mode?
If it's a few unique unlocks, sure, but not 90% of the content like in towers of time/krypt. Games that don't prioritize offline or online but want to perfect both usually also have split player base between offline and online - games like fighting games, sports games, racing games,...there is absolutely no reason to force one to do the other to get all or at least most of the content the game offers. Fuck it, I'll even pay for stuff I want rather than torture myself through game modes I don't like. Games aren't supposed to be chores which is exactly what they become when devs do this.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Games aren't supposed to be chores which is exactly what they become when devs do this.
I'm sympathetic to that point, but:

there is absolutely no reason to force one to do the other to get all or at least most of the content the game offers
The point is to get you to invest time in the game, and invest time in all of the different game modes. Whether or not it's a chore ends up being subjective to the particular player. If you want all the content, then play all the game. I think that's a perfectly fair way for a developer to design their game. If you want to spend 99% of your time in online ranked, and 1% in non-online, that's your choice. But I'm not sure why you should be able to unlock almost everything simply playing the game exactly how you want to play it.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I'm curious if it's how they did MK11, where technically you could earn a ton of in game currency to be spent to unlock everything, but the opportunity was somewhat random.
I always found very odd how you had time crystals but could only spend them in the (very limited) rotating store. Would make much more sense to let you buy the exact skins/gear you wanted from the get go, IMO.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Mode itself looks fun tbh. It's like an overworld version of MK9's Challenge tower.

Having to grind everything is gonna be a chore sometimes, but I'd rather do it this way than the MK11 towers
Agreed entirely.
They took Deadly Alliance Konquest and the MK9 Challenge Tower and put them into the fusion machine. I am here for all of it.

Chess Kombat.
There has to be Chess Kombat in here.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Thank you for this. I don't speak German, so I'm not catching everything he says, but I wonder...

We've seen that there's three types of currency in Invasions: normal gold/kredits which I presume can be used to buy cosmetics(one can hope), a currency used to buy consumable items, and a third "seasonal kredits" currency that's used to buy special seasonal cosmetics, presumably. Is he saying that you can earn both normal kredits and seasonal kredits by playing online? That would be great if so. I've got a feeling that some things can only be unlocked/earned by playing through Invasions mode, but it would be nice if players had the option to not have to play it if they didn't want to.

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
VERY GOOD NEWS WORTH YELLING:

german pc games say you dont need to play invasions for cosmetics, you can also unlock the currency for them by playing online.
As long as there's no unique unlockables tied to online specifically - this is good. I'm quite decent at fighting games, to say the least, but i'd lie, if i said, that i have a lot of time to dedicate to them these days.

I said everything i wanted to say about the mode itself in an adjacent thread, the only thing i want to add is that the blood code and the Primal Rage cab easter eggs are nice touches, they warm my heart.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
"So mario party with a character sheet because that Baldur's Gate thing is exploding".
CRPGs have always been popular though. Shit I've been playing Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 recently. I might get to Baldur's Gate 3 eventually but I wanna play 1 and 2 before that.

Invasions looks really fucking cool though