What's new

MLG Asks, "Is CD Jr the Best Mortal Kombat Player in the World?"

except that not what this thread is about, its about facts. its a FACT he is the best player in the US right now, due to his tournament wins and placings.

however it is also a fact that he has not played EVERY scene in the world yet, which makes it hard to determine if he is indeed the best in the world, CDjr cant be the Daigo of mk yet, as daigo has played in practically EVERY country worldwide that has a SF scene, and won/placed there.

if you're going by tournament results, i've participated in many tournaments too, and have won if not ever placed outside of top 3. does that make me the best player in the world? fuck no. as im yet to play anyone in the US.
Who is more consistent among you, foxy and your brother in tournaments?

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Ummm isn't this thread about discussing whether he is or isn't the best in the world?

To be completely honest and no offense, but you can't compare a 20 man tourney or whatever your tournaments are composed of, to a tournament like Final Round, MLG or Winterbrawl that had 100+

Yeah, quantity ≠ quality but if there's one player that has the credentials to be, it's Cdjr and by a long shot and all of the 94% who voted against him being will agree with that. And whether you like it or not, the USA scene will always be considered the best one. In fact you guys can beat the US in a 5v5 and in a month or 2 and 2 tournaments later you guys will still be considered second rate. It might seem like im dissing you but im just saying the sad reality.
svb had 60 entrants. which equals out as europe as a whole is smaller, people can consider and assume what they want, no matter who wins evo there will always be people not accepting the truth. and im not directly saying he isnt the best, nor is anyone better, im just pointing out the simple FACT that he has not played against anyone from out of the US. not referring to myself, im referring to the hundreds of players outside the US.

In the U.S.? At the moment, I think he is. In the world? No way. Besides Jer, Shujinkydink, and a few others from Canada, barely any U.S. player has played anyone offline from outside this country. To me the question seems like a troll when there haven't been any world tournaments. "Best in the world" in anything is not a title you just give away to the best in one country.

If CD Jr. wins EVO, then the question seems much more legitimate.

Altaire

Noob
Okay, let me clear up this entire thread in one quick motion: CD Jr is statistically the most accomplished player in the world right now. That is a FACT. Whether or not he is the best is subject to debate, but while this doesn't PROVE he is the best, it very strongly suggests it. The bottom line is that until someone can either a) top his overall record or b) consistently beat him in tournament, he is entitled to lay claim to being the best.

The fact that more than 90% of the votes are saying he isn't the best is just pathetic. The MK community really needs to get off this sad flavor of the month shit and accept the fact that there will always be a very small, concentrated group of top players who dominate the scene. CD Jr, REO and Detroit will likely have a monopoly on the tournament scene from now til the day they stop playing. You can either accept that and quit your bitching, or you can try to do something about it. If you don't want to see them in grand finals at every major, then step your shit up and take them down a peg. If not, you really have no right to complain.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Ummm isn't this thread about discussing whether he is or isn't the best in the world?

To be completely honest and no offense, but you can't compare a 20 man tourney or whatever your tournaments are composed of, to a tournament like Final Round, MLG or Winterbrawl that had 100+

Yeah, quantity ≠ quality but if there's one player that has the credentials to be, it's Cdjr and by a long shot and all of the 94% who voted against him being will agree with that. And whether you like it or not, the USA scene will always be considered the best one. In fact you guys can beat the US in a 5v5 and in a month or 2 and 2 tournaments later you guys will still be considered second rate. It might seem like im dissing you but im just saying the sad reality.
According to who?

I don't really care who people think is the best. At the end of the day, Perfect Legend is still the evo champion and until somebody else takes the crown, he's the "world champion" in my mind. If not, then how can this year's evo determine who is the best? If CDjr wins evo, he is the best because being the best is not about winning all year round and winning ten thousand sets of casuals, it is about winning the crowning event on the calender. That's how it is in every sport in existence. It's no different in competitive gaming.

My answer to the question would be: you will find out at evo. If one of the UK players win evo, nobody can take that honour away from them, just in the same way you wouldn't take it away from anybody else. People can say what they like because, ultimately, talk is cheap, it's all about the results. CDjr has an incredible past record and is probably the favourite to win evo in the eyes of many, but that's all you can say, unless you're in the business of handing out honours early.

Watch Cd jr win Evo 2012 and still not be considered the best Mk player in the world. I feel like people won't be content until he beats everyone in the world... Is that the only way to prove he's the best? I mean, look at the kid's resume and tell me who else comes close.

In my opinion, the Mk community doesn't want to acknowledge one player as the best in the world regardless.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
According to who?

I don't really care who people think is the best. At the end of the day, Perfect Legend is still the evo champion and until somebody else takes the crown, he's the "world champion" in my mind. If not, then how can this year's evo determine who is the best? If CDjr wins evo, he is the best because being the best is not about winning all year round and winning ten thousand sets of casuals, it is about winning the crowning event on the calender. That's how it is in every sport in existence. It's no different in competitive gaming.

My answer to the question would be: you will find out at evo. If one of the UK players win evo, nobody can take that honour away from them, just in the same way you wouldn't take it away from anybody else. People can say what they like because, ultimately, talk is cheap, it's all about the results. CDjr has an incredible past record and is probably the favourite to win evo in the eyes of many, but that's all you can say, unless you're in the business of handing out honours early.
Thanks for using the PL example.

Maybe in your mind he's still the Evo champ and acknowledge all his glory. But what exactly happened afterwards? He stopped going to the US majors and instantly became a scrub and a has been. In fact i recall Pig and cdjr trashing him time and time again as well as some other top players. He went from Evo champ to a crap player and even being called scared because Kung lao was nerfed.

All of that hate that PL received stems from what everyone in this community thinks: "since i haven't played him i won't say he's the best" type of mentality. Happened with VSM when 16bit and all of those guys ran their mouth, happened when pig and the arizona guys weren't big fans of vsm either.

jamessmk

I am your god
I feel CDjr is the best player in USA. Sorry in my eye EVO only had meaning if PL defended his belt during the months the game morphed in versions. The living game of many patches changed it constantly. That is certainly not to take away from PL. But, PL needs to get off the pity wagon and level the fuck up. I know he can. Also keep in mind young blood like Curbo are just now entering the offline scene. I would love to see my online get active, I have seen talent out there. But pussies be pussy. As far as CDjr he is top dog in the USA and MLG, until someone steps up he is the king, if y'all don't like it have a revolution and dethrone him, if you can ie: toothless grampa, Denzel, Tyrant, or who ever else wants to step up. In time if you all can't do it some OG gonna have to. Level up, man up, and show up.. MLG. Make me bounty my friend. I want nothing more than to do just that. EVO will determine, who is champ, but not world. MLG will have to hold world qualifiers, only then will there be a world champ...

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
I feel CDjr is the best player in USA. Sorry in my eye EVO only had meaning if PL defended his belt during the months the game morphed in versions. The living game of many patches changed it constantly. That is certainly not to take away from PL. But, PL needs to get off the pity wagon and level the fuck up. I know he can. Also keep in mind young blood like Curbo are just now entering the offline scene. I would love to see my online get active, I have seen talent out there. But pussies be pussy. As far as CDjr he is top dog in the USA and MLG, until someone steps up he is the king, if y'all don't like it have a revolution and dethrone him, if you can ie: toothless grampa, Denzel, Tyrant, or who ever else wants to step up. In time if you all can't do it some OG gonna have to. Level up, man up, and show up.. MLG. Make me bounty my friend. I want nothing more than to do just that. EVO will determine, who is champ, but not world. MLG will have to hold world qualifiers, only then will there be a world champ...
OMG. TOOTHLESS GRAMPA

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
Meh, even when CD wins I'm more impressed by REO. I'm a fan of both, but REO fucking slays. I think the hitbox specific matchups are dumber than shit. I will say, CD knows how to poke out of REO's pressure and that's either fantastic reading or it's knowing his opponent's play style so well. If REO and CD play on a regular basis I'd accredit that to the latter. Either way, they're both good players. Both make fantastic reads and know their characters inside and out. I think that the initial match always being Kabal v Jax is going to put REO at disadvantage. Maybe if REO started a set with Cage...

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Actually, that's exactly what it's about, but okay.
Nope. Ask anybody who's competed in any sport at the highest level. You can win all year round and be ranked number 1 in the world but if you don't win the world championships or the Olympic gold medal, you get none of the glory.

If Evo is the biggest event on the calender and the equivalent of a world championships (because it is the only place the world gathers to compete to determine who is the best), then one would have thought whoever wins at Evo gets to wear the crown.

Nope. Ask anybody who's competed in any sport at the highest level. You can win all year round and be ranked number 1 in the world but if you don't win the world championships or the Olympic gold medal, you get none of the glory.
Tennis has a top 100 ranking system for singles...just sayin'. >_> And those guys have to go all over the world beating the crap out of other players in Grand Slams to get the #1 spot and "glory".

And not the entire world gathers in EVO to determine who is "the best". I've barely seen any South America reps or smaller Euro/Asia reps come to EVO. In fact, the large majority of the participants at EVO are just from the US and Japan lol.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Tennis has a top 100 ranking system for singles...just sayin'. >_> And those guys have to go all over the world beating the crap out of other players in Grand Slams to get the #1 spot and "glory".

And not the entire world gathers in EVO to determine who is "the best". I've barely seen any South America reps or smaller Euro/Asia reps come to EVO. In fact, the large majority of the participants at EVO are just from the US and Japan lol.
yep. One tournament doesn't tell the whole story. If that was the case everyone would think pl is the best in the world and clearly by peoples reactions here they don't.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
CDjr is no doubt a fantastic player, and right now, without a question of a doubt, defiantly the best in the US.

But the 90 odd percent saying no, is just taking the piss, and mostly majority salt.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
If 90% of people dont think CD Jr is the best, then who do they think is? REO?
Im going on tournament form for saying that CDjr is the US best player right now.

It's hard to argue with anything else.

But I guess it can only come down to people's personal opinion, and Im betting that the 90% is all going for REO.

ZtrideRz

Noob
I'm going to give it too reo Cdjr is more accomplished.. and is 1 hell of a player but reo is just robot playing on pad stick hitbox and being just as good on all also reo helps other players with videos techs and has a great attitude for these reasons I think he is best. Also I believe had tom Brady not mained sub from the start he could be top 3.

1st Reo
2nd CDjr

Very close.

ZtrideRz

Noob
I don't believe the best player is just who wins the most tournaments I look too other qualties such as dose he help others how much dose he contribute to the community what's his attitude like..? If Cdjr put effort into helping others with videos and not threatening people (altho this was sometime ago) I would give it too him.

As it stands reo is just too much a a valuable player to this community and game if we lost him it wouldn't be the same people would not improve as fast this in my opinion is what makes a great player having times for others.