What's new

MKX returning character possibilities

Kitana Prime

Top-tier at everything but the characters I choose
Hold on to your hope, but don't presume anything in mk9s story mode went down the way it looks. With the exception of MK1-2, MK has never actually followed the groundwork set by its predecessor to the t.
I know. Just containing the hype/disappointment for the day the final roster is announced. If all fails I'll main D'Vorah Day 1 until swayed otherwise.

trufenix

bye felicia
I know. Just containing the hype/disappointment for the day the final roster is announced. If all fails I'll main D'Vorah Day 1 until swayed otherwise.
well everytime they've thrown out the bathwater, they've (generally) kept the babies' playstyle / moves with the new characters. There's gonna be at least 72 different movelists in the game, so even if Kitana gets the chop, you can be pretty sure there will be somebody chucking fans and doing square waves.

Goldi

Noob
Baraka and Mileena would be such a power couple! I'd love for them to be ruling out world together in mkx <3

Girl mode disabled.

3 variations could let the dead people come back as single characters... Maybe pretty ninja like Ermac - their souls are just bound together. or a dark, stitched up 6 boobed RE looking monster. Also awesome.

trufenix

bye felicia
Baraka and Mileena would be such a power couple! I'd love for them to be ruling out world together in mkx <3

Girl mode disabled.

3 variations could let the dead people come back as single characters... Maybe pretty ninja like Ermac - their souls are just bound together. or a dark, stitched up 6 boobed RE looking monster. Also awesome.
Their relationship lasted like 4 minutes in Deception before they both tried to kill the other.

So MKX is confirmed to be the sequel to Mortal Kombat And take place from the ending and 25 years following. It will also have returning characters from the story who may or may not be playable but might give us insight on who we can expect to see.
I replayed mk9 recently to jog my memory of who actually is and isn't dead.

DEAD:
Kung Lao
Kabal
Jax
Smoke
Jade
Kitana
Sub/cyber sub zero
Stryker
Nightwolf
Liu Kang
Sindel
Shang Tsung

Unknown/ presumed dead:
Noob Saibot

Still living:
Quan Chi
Raiden
Sonya Blade
Johnny Cage
Ermac
Reptile
Mileena
Cyrax
Sektor
Kano
Baraka
Sheeva

Note that I made this list by which characters we actually see die or in zombie form in the NetherRealm for Raiden to fight to confirm death. I made a second list of characters who did not die or it was unclear what happened to them. Also just because they are survivors of the mk9 story doesn't mean I think they will return. Only that we can rule out the ones we watched die
I'm bored so over-analysis time.

Dead:
Kung lao- probably won't return, however his playstyle and storyline is so iconic to the series that I wouldn't be surprised if we see a spiritual successor, either in the form of offspring or someone from the same group.

Kabal- From a very personal standpoint, I hope to god he stays dead. Objectively, it doesn't make too much sesne to bring him back as his purpose in the plot is resolved, and he doesn't carry much reason for them to jump through hoops.

Jax- Part of the Sonya/Cage thing which I 'll get to later, but in short I doubt he's coming back. Their entire storyline seems wrapped up, so resurrecting him would be pointless.

Smoke- I doubt it, but I want it? I don't think robo anything will be in this game, least of all smoke, but his single player ending had some potential. Still not likely.

Jade- Nope. Dead and plot pointless.

Kitana- maybe, but leaning towards nope. She's iconic and what not, so maybe a spiritual successor, but I highly doubt kitana herself will show, especially with mileena alive.

Sub/cyber sub- this brings up a good question. Who the fuck is the current MK9 sub zero? From my understanding, he shouldn't even exist....so...yeah(and clearly scorpion thinks he's the original, but the guy isn't exactly renowned for his thoroughness with genealogy)? Anyways his existence as a human strikes me as a major sign we won't be getting robots.

Stryker- Nope. Fills a very small roll and cassie's already got guns. Maybe we'll get another "cop thrown into this" guy, but I doubt it's stryker.

Nightwolf- maybe in some altered form. This has more to do with sindel, but essentially due to how his death occurred, there's a small chance, and he does fill a Raiden like roll in the plot. That said I wouldn't bet on it.

Liu Kang- maybe. Mostly the same as kung lao(spiritual successor), but given his singleplayer ending there's a chance of him making it in as something else entirely.

Sindel- maybe. I read somewhere she was confirmed(no source though so meh), and the only real reason I could see it was they made such a big deal about her being a complete badass in MK9, and her death was a little less certain than others.

Shang- Doubt it. As much as I'd love to see what they do with him this time, his chances of returning seem very slim, especially if they want to get away from the old plot and establish something new finally.

Noob- maybe he's sub zero(but then he wouldn't claim to be innocent?)....i dunno. I doubt it, but sub's existence gives him a small chance.

Living-

Quan chi- it makes a lot of sense given everything we know already, so i'd say he's one of the most likely on this list.

Raiden- Possibly. In the plot, probably, playable fighter....not so sure.

Sonya/johnny- almost assuredly no. Cassie fills their legacy, and while not being them, there's a rather interesting issue of having a daughter kneecap mommy before blowing her brains out, or daddy ripping his daughters torso off. I know that technically you could say that's happened in the game before, but I think this would be pushing boundries they don't need to, and would make little plot sense. They might be in the plot, but I doubt they're playable.

Ermac- seems all but confirmed. Concept art + character select gives him good odds, which is interesting because the guy is kinda shallow when it comes to plot motivation, especially with everyone dead. Maybe he'll finally play a larger role in things? He's my main since he UMK3, but god knows I wouldn't have given him good odds if you just told me about the plot of X.

Reptile- maybe. He plays a very small role usually, and that doesn't help his chances, and I think insect lady sorta fills the "human but also something else" niche he used to have. Still he's one of the more original characters, not just in legacy, but in playstyle, and that could help.

Mileena- maybe. The biggest thing she has going for her is "not dead female ninja". I have no doubt they'd be willing to just axe the entire concept, but if they want to keep it around it's a lot easier to reintroduce melieena than to somehow jump through hoops to get kitana/jade back. I do think there will be at least one "female ninja" character who somehow brings back their styles(maybe one who can switch between the mileena/kitana/jade styles? Not sure how to make that work plot wise, but it from a design standpoint it seems like a no brainer)

Cyrax/sektor- unlikely. Sektor is already hurt in that it seems Cassie has some similar moves(lock on/positional missiles), but mostly I think they're trying to avoid the "robot ninja's" entirely. It's a shame because I really did like both of them, but I can see how they may not mesh with the direction they want MK X to go, so I don't think we'll see either one of them coming back.

Kano- probably not. With johnnny/sonya likely out of the picture, it seems silly to bring back kano, but he is an original cast member, and he could serve as plot motivation for cassie.

Baraka- Likely no. he doesn't serve enough of a purpose in the plot really, so it'd be easy to cut him, especially if they're trying to find room for new faces.

Sheeva- same as Baraka.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Shang could come back through something like... when nightwolf using the spirits to kill sindel.... shang was released and "cleansed" in the process becoming a fighter on the good side of things. Still uses his signature soul stealing and sorceror moveset, but they feed off of evil souls now (sort of like ashrah's blade) and he becomes the new liu kang!

Anyway, that's my hope for Shang to come back. He's too cool and has one of the most unique abilities to let die!!! :(

eolson3

Noob

Dead:
Kung lao- probably won't return, however his playstyle and storyline is so iconic to the series that I wouldn't be surprised if we see a spiritual successor, either in the form of offspring or someone from the same group.

Kabal- From a very personal standpoint, I hope to god he stays dead. Objectively, it doesn't make too much sesne to bring him back as his purpose in the plot is resolved, and he doesn't carry much reason for them to jump through hoops.

Jax- Part of the Sonya/Cage thing which I 'll get to later, but in short I doubt he's coming back. Their entire storyline seems wrapped up, so resurrecting him would be pointless.

Smoke- I doubt it, but I want it? I don't think robo anything will be in this game, least of all smoke, but his single player ending had some potential. Still not likely.

Jade- Nope. Dead and plot pointless.

Kitana- maybe, but leaning towards nope. She's iconic and what not, so maybe a spiritual successor, but I highly doubt kitana herself will show, especially with mileena alive.

Sub/cyber sub- this brings up a good question. Who the fuck is the current MK9 sub zero? From my understanding, he shouldn't even exist....so...yeah(and clearly scorpion thinks he's the original, but the guy isn't exactly renowned for his thoroughness with genealogy)? Anyways his existence as a human strikes me as a major sign we won't be getting robots.

Stryker- Nope. Fills a very small roll and cassie's already got guns. Maybe we'll get another "cop thrown into this" guy, but I doubt it's stryker.

Nightwolf- maybe in some altered form. This has more to do with sindel, but essentially due to how his death occurred, there's a small chance, and he does fill a Raiden like roll in the plot. That said I wouldn't bet on it.

Liu Kang- maybe. Mostly the same as kung lao(spiritual successor), but given his singleplayer ending there's a chance of him making it in as something else entirely.

Sindel- maybe. I read somewhere she was confirmed(no source though so meh), and the only real reason I could see it was they made such a big deal about her being a complete badass in MK9, and her death was a little less certain than others.

Shang- Doubt it. As much as I'd love to see what they do with him this time, his chances of returning seem very slim, especially if they want to get away from the old plot and establish something new finally.

Noob- maybe he's sub zero(but then he wouldn't claim to be innocent?)....i dunno. I doubt it, but sub's existence gives him a small chance.

Living-

Quan chi- it makes a lot of sense given everything we know already, so i'd say he's one of the most likely on this list.

Raiden- Possibly. In the plot, probably, playable fighter....not so sure.

Sonya/johnny- almost assuredly no. Cassie fills their legacy, and while not being them, there's a rather interesting issue of having a daughter kneecap mommy before blowing her brains out, or daddy ripping his daughters torso off. I know that technically you could say that's happened in the game before, but I think this would be pushing boundries they don't need to, and would make little plot sense. They might be in the plot, but I doubt they're playable.

Ermac- seems all but confirmed. Concept art + character select gives him good odds, which is interesting because the guy is kinda shallow when it comes to plot motivation, especially with everyone dead. Maybe he'll finally play a larger role in things? He's my main since he UMK3, but god knows I wouldn't have given him good odds if you just told me about the plot of X.

Reptile- maybe. He plays a very small role usually, and that doesn't help his chances, and I think insect lady sorta fills the "human but also something else" niche he used to have. Still he's one of the more original characters, not just in legacy, but in playstyle, and that could help.

Mileena- maybe. The biggest thing she has going for her is "not dead female ninja". I have no doubt they'd be willing to just axe the entire concept, but if they want to keep it around it's a lot easier to reintroduce melieena than to somehow jump through hoops to get kitana/jade back. I do think there will be at least one "female ninja" character who somehow brings back their styles(maybe one who can switch between the mileena/kitana/jade styles? Not sure how to make that work plot wise, but it from a design standpoint it seems like a no brainer)

Cyrax/sektor- unlikely. Sektor is already hurt in that it seems Cassie has some similar moves(lock on/positional missiles), but mostly I think they're trying to avoid the "robot ninja's" entirely. It's a shame because I really did like both of them, but I can see how they may not mesh with the direction they want MK X to go, so I don't think we'll see either one of them coming back.

Kano- probably not. With johnnny/sonya likely out of the picture, it seems silly to bring back kano, but he is an original cast member, and he could serve as plot motivation for cassie.

Baraka- Likely no. he doesn't serve enough of a purpose in the plot really, so it'd be easy to cut him, especially if they're trying to find room for new faces.

Sheeva- same as Baraka.
Good breakdown. I think Kano actually makes more sense than many, because it wouldn't involve any resurrection shenanigans to get him involved in the story (and there are only a few in that category). Here's hoping.

E

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball

Dead:

Living-

Smoke - Quan Chi could always resurrect Smoke as an Enenra creature to serve him.

Sub Zero - That's one thing that confuses and bothers me too. If MK9 is canon, then MKX "Sub Zero" has to be another Lin Quei Ninja that assumes the codename "Sub Zero".

Nightwolf - Like Smoke, Quan Chi could resurrect Nightwolf and change him to his animality(werewolf).

Shang - Sure, Sindel "absorbed" him, and might have still been in her when she died, but we never saw him among the zombies in the netherrealm. He could've slipped out of Sindel as she was dying and got the hell out of dodge when everyone was distracted. But then again, who knows?

Reptile - Hey, Outworld or Netherealm could always use henchmen, and what better henchman is there than Reptile? Reptile is THE GO-TO henchman. Also 25 years have passed, would be pretty awesome to see NRS design a more Devolved Raptor-Like Reptile in my opinion.

Reptile - Hey, Outworld or Netherealm could always use henchmen, and what better henchman is there than Reptile? Reptile is THE GO-TO henchman. Also 25 years have passed, would be pretty awesome to see NRS design a more Devolved Raptor-Like Reptile in my opinion.
I am so down for this.

I also think I'm one of the few people that like Reptile actually looking like a reptile hahaha

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I think the inclusion of Cassie means that Cage and Sonya are condensed into her moves, so they won't be in it. That frees up a space. Still hope for Kano.

E
Boon said on stream the story start right after MK9 and continues in 5 year intervals up to and possibly beyond 25 years.

Johnny and Sonya are the only two Earth defenders alive not counting Raiden, and there will need to be someone playable for those first couple of years until Raiden can find some more heroes.

Johnny, Sonya, or both kind of have to be playable in some fashion. If they want to do it legit i'm betting they'd just put johnny in and give him a young skin and old skin, or have Cassie have a Sonya skin and use special forces variation.

This also means we should expect Kai and whoever else was an earthrealm hero in MK4 that didn't die, if Kai isn't the only one besides JC and Sonya.

Or some new Earth fighters.

I am so down for this.

I also think I'm one of the few people that like Reptile actually looking like a reptile hahaha
I think Reptile should be a really grotesque lizard monster in a "man" disguise.

Would make it seem like he's limiting himself for the sake of stealth and acceptance, but really hides an incredibly powerful true form.

It's both ridiculous and badass.

Much better than just a humanoid lizard.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
Boon said on stream the story start right after MK9 and continues in 5 year intervals up to and possibly beyond 25 years.

Johnny and Sonya are the only two Earth defenders alive not counting Raiden, and there will need to be someone playable for those first couple of years until Raiden can find some more heroes.

Johnny, Sonya, or both kind of have to be playable in some fashion. If they want to do it legit i'm betting they'd just put johnny in and give him a young skin and old skin, or have Cassie have a Sonya skin and use special forces variation.

This also means we should expect Kai and whoever else was an earthrealm hero in MK4 that didn't die, if Kai isn't the only one besides JC and Sonya.

Or some new Earth fighters.
Maybe the first 5 years are more focused on Netherrealm fighting Outworld? And the early parts focused on Earthrealm include recruiting characters like Kenshi, Rain, heroes from MK4/DA/DE, or entirely new characters without including in-game fights with Johnny and Sonya?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Maybe the first 5 years are more focused on Netherrealm fighting Outworld? And the early parts focused on Earthrealm include recruiting characters like Kenshi, Rain, heroes from MK4/DA/DE, or entirely new characters without including in-game fights with Johnny and Sonya?
Rain is not from Earth and is a bad guy.

Everything else you said is possible but I still find it unlikely that one or both of them won't be included in any sort of playable fashion.

Especially after Boon mentioned the team trying to figure a way around family fatalities when a question about Cassie was brought up, before saying they'd probably just let it happen.

---

http://shoryuken.com/2014/06/13/ed-boon-says-we-will-definitely-see-a-mortal-kombat-4-character-in-mortal-kombat-x-decent-chance-of-guest-fighter/

Definitely going to be Kai due to the lack of Earth heroes.

Also an easy way to have a bit of "Liu Kang" playable.

Cant wait to see how they re-work him.

Him or Fujin.

Unless he means Quan and/or Shinnok, which I doubt because we already know they're the villains.

Last edited:
Rain is not from Earth and is a bad guy.

Everything else you said is possible but I still find it unlikely that one or both of them won't be included in any sort of playable fashion.

Especially after Boon mentioned the team trying to figure a way around family fatalities when a question about Cassie was brought up, before saying they'd probably just let it happen.

---

http://shoryuken.com/2014/06/13/ed-boon-says-we-will-definitely-see-a-mortal-kombat-4-character-in-mortal-kombat-x-decent-chance-of-guest-fighter/

Definitely going to be Kai due to the lack of Earth heroes.

Also an easy way to have a bit of "Liu Kang" playable.

Cant wait to see how they re-work him.

Him or Fujin.

Unless he means Quan and/or Shinnok, which I doubt because we already know they're the villains.
Hmm that is interesting if they actually gave the family thing some thought. Maybe they will have one of them, although I still wouldn't guess both. Cassies playstyle doesn't seem to overlap either parent too much, but it'd be a lot of character slots dedicated to one concept.

As for "probably didn't mean Quan or Shinnok" I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's boon, and remember he's talking to reporters and interviewers who probably don't know all that much about the MK9 plot. I wouldn't put it past him to say that and only include quan/shinnok.

However I could see him including more of the MK4 cast, it's just really hard to choose/guess. I'd argue the best revived from that era are already slated as the villains, and everyone else new was really quite shallow plot wise(and basically instantly ditched the moment they changed to DA). They could easily remake any of the new additions and bring them back because they were so "meh" before.

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
Khameleon.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
Decent chance of a guest character? It has to be Ash Williams from Army of Darkness, voiced by Bruce Campbell. First variation is melee focus with Chainsaw, second variation is range focus with boomstick, and third is a mix. :)

Also, PLEASE no Khameleon, if she makes it in then that might mean no Reptile. :(