What's new

MKX Pokes / Anti airs and over all mechanics comparison

Would you like to keep it how extremely different pokesets etc are? Or More improved Mk9ish system?

• Total voters

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Not every character in this game use jabs as Anti-Airs, there is other ways to deal with AAs that grant a full combo punish, i think this is the 99x time i'm speaking, well carry on...

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Not every character in this game use jabs as Anti-Airs, there is other ways to deal with AAs that grant a full combo punish, i think this is the 99x time i'm speaking, well carry on...
thanks for your input but read the whole thing.. it's not about just anti airing with jabs. some characters (like liu kang i use b34 or up4 etc). not what we are discussing my man. you're on layer 1 when we are talking about the whole cake. could you grant us the 100th statement before you leave

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
The only thing that I don't like about MKX is the anti-air part.
It sucks.
Addition of trading blows made it even worse.
Different hitboxes on jumping attacks made it extremely worse.

Infestation of jumpers all over the place, not giving a fuck.

Sad :(

I was going to open a thread on this but luckily saw this thread

I'd like to hear people's opinion

I've played a lot of fighting games and understand the fundamentals and core so I can transition pretty smoothly

One thing that I could not understand coming to this new gen of mk was the low pokes

From my experience, low jabs and pokes are suppose to slow or stop the pressure. This is the first game in my entire life where the fastest crouching single move entirely completely switched the pressure onto the opponent that was pressuring you. It is a move that ducks under highs, fast, can interrupt, and non reactable, so why should it also turn the tide in your favor as well? It's also even spammable on certain characters

I honestly believe it's ok to have one or two universal moves and frame data for that move for most or all of the cast. Down 1s and down 3s should be those moves.

1. Do you guys thinks making down1 8frame startup, -10 on block, and +10 on hit would be fair? This would make the move beat out any high 10+ frame string but even if you hit, it would only pause the pressure instead of switching the advantage to you entirely for you to do a 50/50. And if it's blocked then you would only be punished by a mid 10frame or low poke of theirs if they don't have a 10frame mid or a grab.

2. Same thing as #1 but down 3 being 9frame startup, -11 on block, and +11 on hit due to it being a low. A little more risk/reward than down 1.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this

For me, the low poke with the fastest startup, ducks under highs, interrupts, and turns the tide completely in your favor is way too much of a freebie

HitBox CToss

ESPURTS
pokes in mkx are only useful if ur footsie game is on point

/thread

Just kidding, yea pokes in this game are primary used for advancing your character safely, why some strings are so damn unsafe (I know there are exceptions to this rule but that's a topic for another debate). The game is so much more heavily footsie based than Mk9 that it's difficult to say where balances can be done to adjust frame advantage on certain normals. It's hard to judge the potential of a normal if later down the road adjusting something small (let's say takeda since he's been the debate topic for awhile now) we SHOULD improve his startup frames on certain low distance advancing normals such as his f4 or increasing his startup and decreasing recovery on his cr. Pokes.

The problem is we just don't have enough knowledge base yet to see what exactly needs to be changed.

I'm really neutral on the subject. if you asked @MITDJT he might say the same thing.

It's stronger than Mk9 for advancing and covering distance in the footsie game. But no not as reliable, that's where people are gonna see it as being bad, for some it might be too risky to use and therefore be labeled as bad

HitBox CToss

ESPURTS
there are certain characters that have it too easy in the poke battle (raiden, kung jin, erron black) Raidens 6 frame mid is terrifying. But again, MOST characters have tools to reset the neutral if a player is poking too hard.

I know some characters right now have it rough. You guys are already naming a few, but character specific stuff isn't what I'm trying to debate, just poking in general.

As for AA'S, d2 is the ONLY tool for some characters and if you're playing a quan chi ,raiden or kung jin who have a massive aerial presence, you will ALWAYS lose that battle. There are characters who unfortunately have to respect the bs because the game decided that some characters will never leave pressure,

Stay comfy in the neutral because the footsie game is a wild ride

3Lifts

Noob
Can you even punish pokes on block? In MK9 i couldnt punish things like kitanas d1, even though her d1 is -15 on block, but she recovers just too fast. I dont play MKX so i dunno.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Can you even punish pokes on block? In MK9 i couldnt punish things like kitanas d1, even though her d1 is -15 on block, but she recovers just too fast. I dont play MKX so i dunno.
yes and d1 specials i punished all the time as well