What's new

MKX Kombat Kodes: How do we make "Tournament Mode" actually usable this time around?

What are everyone's suggestions for a proper Tournament Mode Kombat Kode? We're far enough out in development that if we were to, as a tournament community, decide on a set of factors/rules we want to see included in this mode that we might actually see it happen.

For example, Tournament Mode could force fatalities off, force the default timer and round count, or any other number of things. In MK9, it turned off the "First Hit Bonus", among other things. Do we want to see any special things for MKX, or is a no blood option enough?

I'd also like to say that "INTERACTABLES OFF!@?111" arguments need not apply here... that should be a separate option outside of the kombat kode. plus there's the whole thing where we haven't played the game yet and have no idea what they're like this time around. Just the absolute basics here to ensure a consistent tournament experience.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
What are everyone's suggestions for a proper Tournament Mode Kombat Kode? We're far enough out in development that if we were to, as a tournament community, decide on a set of factors/rules we want to see included in this mode that we might actually see it happen.

For example, Tournament Mode could force fatalities off, force the default timer and round count, or any other number of things. In MK9, it turned off the "First Hit Bonus", among other things. Do we want to see any special things for MKX, or is a no blood option enough?

I'd also like to say that "INTERACTABLES OFF!@?111" arguments need not apply here... that should be a separate option outside of the kombat kode. plus there's the whole thing where we haven't played the game yet and have no idea what they're like this time around. Just the absolute basics here to ensure a consistent tournament experience.
Tournament mode just needs to be simple. Leave the first hit bonus, disable any stage specific animations that could affect gameplay/obstruct vision. Rounds should be defaulted by the game settings you chose, and fatalities should probably be left on IMO because there are some hype moments that can be had at the Finish Him screen. Also, I feel like having to enforce a tournament mode Kombat Kode could be troublesome just because if someone forgets to do the code or messes it up, then you have to restart matches and that could just end up leading to way more wasted time when it is all said and done.

I think it should remove fatalities and the "First Hit Bonus" while also setting the standard agreed upon timer and round count. I don't really know what else it could do since we don't really know everything we are facing yet. No reason to even touch on interactables yet (Shit.. they're blockable so I don't see them being OP)

Honestly, they should have a game option for 'tournament mode' that does these things IMO!

EDIT: After reading some other replies I retract my statement on removing fatalities. I also say this because there is possibly a large amount of fatalities with the whole "styles" of fighters part of the game. Who knows, maybe each character has like 4 fatalities or something.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I want all the kombat kodes to be toggleable in the options menu.

Doing them at the character select screen is neat and should stay, but it's also kind of annoying and impractical.

I forgot all about screen shakes and foreground objects. Those are all fine for a single player setting but in actual matches all that stuff needs to be turned off for sure. Actual menu options for this stuff instead of error-prone kombat kodes would be ideal, hopefully we see something like that.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Yeah, the best way to instate a tournament mode is by way of menu settings.

I think removing the fatality ending, making shortened win poses (or none at all), removing any distracting foreground objects, and maybe instating a win count system to keep track of the matches won right on the screen that resets after the target win number is reached.