What's new

MK9 Kano - Best Online Fighter in Fighting Game History?

MK9 Kano - Best Online Fighter in Fighting Game History?

• Total voters
Possibly the worst for online actually. Cant time upballs well unless you are spamming them all day.

Not any worse than the smoke players with the teleport/smoke bomb spam

And with his only combos being very strict on timing.. its very tough to play him right
agreed. i think lex is just trolling becuase i have not seen a kano player online yet except me. kano forums are full of bullshit and so is lex. people are still complaining about up ball even though it's been nerfed for a good month.

Oh dear God, is this still going on after they nerfed his Upball?

Seriously people, if you think Kano is the "God of All things Online", you really need to learn to play.

1. stop using jump ins to start your combo strings! You jump, you eat an upball. You jump vs Cage, you eat a flipkick. You jump vs Ermac, you get TK slammed. You jump vs Sheeva, you get air grabbed (didn't see that one coming huh :-p). Adapt to your opponent, don't just blindly expect the combos you copied from Youtube to work against a player with half a brain.
Dash in, block the upball, punish it. It can't hit you outside of sweeping range. Just keep in mind that if it didn't hit your block, it recovers significantly faster.

2. Doing combos with Kano online is nearly impossible due to the strict timing required. No need to fear those, since they'll whiff 2/3 times

3. Kano's overhead is incredibly slow and punishable. Use that to your advantage. So block low. A lot. Stop crouching when you see him going for the overhead. You'll be faster, trust me.

4. If you can deal with Noob or Sindel or Stryker spamming ranged, you can deal with Kano's knives too. He has a fast animation recovery, but the projectiles themselves don't travel all that much faster than anyone else's. It's harder to punish his knives with a teleport, true. Boohoo, I'm sorry they took away your "i win" button. Jump over them and dash the final distance (to avoid an upball). Or use a special EX with armour (Jax's fist, Nightwolfs shoulder, Reptiles Dash, etc...) to completely brush the knife aside.

I apologize if the above might come across kinda harsh, but I really don't get all this whining about Kano when so many other characters have such a plethora of great moves themselves. So use them and don't be afraid to adapt your playstyle depending on your opponent.

jtom

Noob
i agree with the above poster. ive seen a number of kanos online and all but one them have been atrociously bad. I find dealing with online reptiles/raidens immeasurably more annoying.

typically my matches with kanos have gone something like... kano tries to spam knives, to which i duck... kano gets impatient and attempts a random ball, to which i block, and proceed to wreck him for free because the player is genuinely not good at the game.

i will admit that one of the kanos i have encountered was quite impressive and that i lost both of our matches before the game desynched. However, i didnt get the feeling that he had an inherent advantage because of his specials/lag.

lolwut? Both of those moves are easily blocked/jumped and punished (respectively) even on 56k

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
True. But maybe that's because everyone and their grandmother uses Smoke and basically just spams those 2 moves. People adapt. A good Smoke player will be a challenge. A random Smoke player will be easy since he is so brain-dead predictable. You knock him down? Wake up teleport. You throw a projectile? Teleport. You just stand there blocking? Teleport.
You'll encounter relatively less Kano players online, and like Jtom above already said, most of those are similarly just special move spammers. Actually, when playing randoms online, how many of those are spammers, no matter what character they pick? Yeah, i think that answer doesn't really need a reply.

But anyway, back to the topic at hand.. I stand by my initial post.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Kano seems to have become taboo amongst the MK community. If you pick him, the opp leaves before they even pick their char, and I don't blame them. It was probably a Kano trolling spammer. For those of you who ACTUALLY know his potential here on TYM, I APPLAUDE you. I really do.

And Nocturne, speaking of which, Ive never faced ONE Kano mainer that hasnt abused his upball or knives. Its disgraceful.

But think of this now! If I pick Noob and use ONE shadow and win, I'm suddenly a spamming idiot. Either that or they ragequit.
But if someone picks Kano and spams upball and knives, the opp, at least in my experience, NEVER ragequits.

Why is Noob given such harsh treatment, and why is Kano so misunderstood? He's an amazing character that's constantly disrespected.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Kano seems to have become taboo amongst the MK community. If you pick him, the opp leaves before they even pick their char, and I don't blame them. It was probably a Kano trolling spammer. For those of you who ACTUALLY know his potential here on TYM, I APPLAUDE you. I really do.

And Nocturne, speaking of which, Ive never faced ONE Kano mainer that hasnt abused his upball or knives. Its disgraceful.

But think of this now! If I pick Noob and use ONE shadow and win, I'm suddenly a spamming idiot. Either that or they ragequit.
But if someone picks Kano and spams upball and knives, the opp, at least in my experience, NEVER ragequits.

Why is Noob given such harsh treatment, and why is Kano so misunderstood? He's an amazing character that's constantly disrespected.
I think there is absolutely no excuse for ragequitting. Short of glitches, there's really nothing in the game that you can't defend against. If you get mad and quit you will never learn how to deal with "cheap" tactics and you will never get any better. If I want to play Kano and hang back and do nothing but toss knives and Kanoball when you try to get in, sure that's not a very fun way to play but it's a viable (though not very good) strategy. If you can't figure out how to get around it that's your own damn fault. This is a fighting game and the point of a fighting game is to beat your opponent. It's not to beat your opponent just enough so that they can fight back. It's not to beat your opponent using a limited number of a certain move. It's just to beat your opponent. The players who play the "cheapest" are actually going to be be the best players because they learn how to counter such tactics (most likely the people they play with regularly are just as "cheap"). That's just how it is. Anyway, I kind of went on a rant there... It just pisses me off that so many players would rather badmouth you and waste your time than try to learn from their mistakes and get better at the game.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Last nights random king of the hill was 6 kanos back to back... It was a fucking ball jamboree!!!
Was on xbox or ps3? I'm the only Kano player I know of on 360. I've seen maybe 6 people pick him since the game came out.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
360... It was bullshit!. I subed it to try and freeze him so I had some sort of chance and got pounded into the ground.
Really? Sub-Zero is my least favorite matchup with Kano. That's insane, though. I wonder why the sudden spike in Kano usage...

Tim Static

Adminerator
lmao I forgot about this thread.

Surprised no one said anything about UMK3 Nightwolf.

Online he is probably #1 in UMK3 with lag/delay.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
Any character in Super Smash Brothers Brawl online is worst than Kano. There's some pretty horrible stuff in some Naruto fighting games online too.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Liu Kang and Johnny Cage would like to have a word with you. :(
Liu Kang isn't that bad with lag, it's just constant fuzzy guarding low high high. Quan Chi on the other hand...low high or low low. I'm sure his u3 is unpunishable in lag as well, pretty much everything is. Johnny Cage is pretty obnoxious with f33s though in lag.

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
Last couple of nights online for me has been atrocious. It seems any time I go to play with locals,
my online timing goes out the window. When I block a random telepunch online and whiff
the punish midway, it starts to make the mindless play of knife-knife-upball much more appealing.

Anyone have any tips on keeping it together rushing online? Either its countless combo drops, or I get blown up
by wakeup trying to start a mixup on their oki. Don't wanna be a braindead spammer, but if that's whats working
online I'd be a fool to get blown up trying to stay "honest"