What's new

Mk1's Kitana + Mileena face model found - Quynh Chi Nguyen

CipherJ

Noob
Is it cheaper to pay a model or an artist to make a fictional face. Compare Kitana vs Chun Li from SF6 and it seems worth it to get a model :D.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
My god these girls are serving face for SURE, simply gorgeous. Also kinda crazy that they share a face model cause NRS managed to make them quite distinct.
yep, Mileena on this picture is quite amazing gorgeous .... such a beauty , that is a hideous sin the fact she gets tarkat disease , in order to follow the lore, and having the monstrous features ..... :(

Seriously , she looks awesome before the disease, the best Mileena ever , no doubt ! :rolleyes:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
why do they keep making everyone asian?
It’s funny that a Japanese company makes most of their characters in SF look American or white, and an American company makes most of their characters in MK look Asian.

Anyway, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Sindel, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Li Mei, etc were always Asian or meant to be Asian to some degree. I think Sindel is supposed to be mixed but not sure. And idk about Smoke & Kenshi. I know Smoke is a Ninja, but he always seemed to be depicted as more of an Americanized Ninja and same with Kenshi. I figured they got the idea of Kenshi based off of Dare Devil, but never really looked into it. I also think Raiden was always meant to be Asian, but they never really made him look Asian until this game imo.

In fact, other than Johnny Cage, Tanya and Geras, are the rest of the characters either Asian or not “human”? Not including Kameos of course. I personally think Smoke should look more like he did in MK9, as he’s apparently adopted in MK1 anyway. But that’s just a personal preference. As far as the rest, they all make sense and look good. They just haven’t made some of them look Asian until recently.

why do they keep making everyone asian?
I guess the true question would be why a character named Kitana was white? Funny that this question was never asked but somehow now that they're properly portrayed it gets so important lol when you consider Mileena's position as her relative (former clone actually), she also inherits that characteristic, and Sindel being her mother also inherits that for obvious reasons since Jerrod is not the most asian name you'll find out there. Applies to all other asian named characters that were, for some "unknown" reason, portrayed as white before, not a big brain thing at all.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I guess the true question would be why a character named Kitana was white? Funny that this question was never asked but somehow now that they're properly portrayed it gets so important lol when you consider Mileena's position as her relative (former clone actually), she also inherits that characteristic, and Sindel being her mother also inherits that for obvious reasons since Jerrod is not the most asian name you'll find out there. Applies to all other asian named characters that were, for some "unknown" reason, portrayed as white before, not a big brain thing at all.
Well, to be fair, Kitana isn't a real name so she's definitely not "Asian-named". Also, they're not Asian OR white, they're Edenian so it really doesn't matter what race their face model is. Additionally, up until MK11 and including the movies, they either cast her as a Latina or modeled her like one and they definitely had the technology to do otherwise (you could argue MK9 and MKX Kitana since those face models don't even look human).

I'm not saying this because I care what race the model for Kitana is, just that she's not "supposed" to be any race other than Edenian. The only physical features that matter are that she has (typically) long dark hair, fair skin, wears primarily blue, and uses fans as weapons. Pretty much everything else can be changed without changing the character.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I really do not like people insinuating people are racist for questioning why characters have changed races, so...

Mileena is actually a Czech name (means favoured/warmth), not Asian, and the first model is...

Cuban-American.

It is worth noting that Kitana is actually a Persian name too (means honourable).

The whole thing is a mess. Personally, I couldn't give a shit whether she is asian or not. I do not think people should be acused of racism for questioning it though. I think it is unfair.

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Kitana and Mileena fit better being Asian ..... NRS was testing waters with MK9 and MKX, but, in MK11 , they finally found the better heritage that suits both

So, they resembling asian , looks the best so far ;)

I love the MK franchise for being very diverse and inclusive in a organic natural way ! :)

Last edited:
I really do not like people insinuating people are racist for questioning why characters have changed races, so...

Mileena is actually a Czech name (means favoured/warmth), not Asian, and the first model is...

View attachment 20777

Cuban-American.

It is worth noting that Kitana is actually a Persian name too (means honourable).

The whole thing is a mess. Personally, I couldn't give a shit whether she is asian or not. I do not think people should be acused of racism for questioning it though. I think it is unfair.
As I said about Mileena, she was a clone and now is a relative of Kitana, and that's why she inherits all of that, so I guess now you're pretending not to read what I wrote and the tone in which the question was asked in the first place? I'm not implying they are being actively racist, I'm just saying it's funny that a question like that never pops up in general when it's actually a weird situation, but when the characters start matching their (intended?) non-white origin, it starts popping up.

I will say that maybe my tone could be less aggressive though, which I regret.

Well, to be fair, Kitana isn't a real name so she's definitely not "Asian-named". Also, they're not Asian OR white, they're Edenian so it really doesn't matter what race their face model is. Additionally, up until MK11 and including the movies, they either cast her as a Latina or modeled her like one and they definitely had the technology to do otherwise (you could argue MK9 and MKX Kitana since those face models don't even look human).

I'm not saying this because I care what race the model for Kitana is, just that she's not "supposed" to be any race other than Edenian. The only physical features that matter are that she has (typically) long dark hair, fair skin, wears primarily blue, and uses fans as weapons. Pretty much everything else can be changed without changing the character.
I think the fact they're Edenians in the first place is always an ok assessment, but what that means in my head is: what humans would perceive as race in Earthrealm would not translate to Edenia, but that wouldn't mean they're still being portrayed by characteristics inherited from the humans in Earthrealm. Not sure about the Kitana name not being closely related to an asian descent, so I'll refrain from commenting on this so I don't look like a fool lol

Last edited:

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Kitana an Mileena fit better being Asian ..... NRS was testing waters with MK9 and MKX, but, in MK11 , they finally found the better heritage that suits both
This is not really accurate. If it was, they were testing the waters in MK2, UMK3, MKT, MKDA, MKU, MKA, MK vs DCU, MK9, MK10 which is not really the case. The fact is MK11 was where the change happened.

I do not think any particular ethinicity really suits them more than any other. If you think it suits them becasue of the name, it is factually not correct.

I am happy with the way they look now, but really, either way I would not care as long as they looked awesome. IMO Mileena looked the best in MKX while I liked Kitana's MK11 concepts best. As I said, I do not care either way.

As I said about Mileena, she was a clone and now is a relative of Kitana, and that's why she inherits all of that, so I guess now you're pretending not to read what I wrote and the tone in which the question was asked in the first place? I'm not implying they are being actively racist, I'm just saying it's funny that a question like that never pops up in general when it's actually a weird situation, but when the characters start matching their (intended?) non-white origin, it starts popping up.

I will say that maybe my tone could be less aggressive though, which I regret.
You were not aggressive at all (you would never be! :) ) - it is more me quoting the latest comment.

I understand what you were saying - it was not really directed at you. It was directed at those who insinuate that people who question why characters have changed their ethnicity are against diversity and / or are racist. I do not believe this is necessarily the case.

You were not aggressive at all (you would never be! :) ) - it is more me quoting the latest comment.

I understand what you were saying - it was not really directed at you. It was directed at those who insinuate that people who question why characters have changed their ethnicity are against diversity and / or are racist. I do not believe this is necessarily the case.
Oh, alright then, I just felt like I was giving too much attitude through my choice of words while I read my comments again, even in the one replying to you I was still switching moods, so I apologize lol

Space Cadet

They shot our face, Johnny. They shot. Our FACE.
I think she's absolutely gorgeous. They did a great job with the game models for them both as well.