What's new

MK11 Story Stuff

trufenix

bye felicia
I'm sure this will get merged (cause if there's one thing this place needs less of its threads) but lets talk story crap and only story crap. Which parts of MKX do you think got canonized, which ones didn't? Who do you want to see in the MKX 11 story and how. What do you think is going on at the Sky Temple?!

I guess there's no hope of it being a spoiler / leak free zone, but lets put it in a |SPOILER| tag if its based on leaked info, okay, guys?

I'll start.

Baldy is a new time weaving character. She's gathered an army of MK people from the past to take down Dark Raiden.

Oh, and here's another probably confirmed story detail, Shao Kahn will have nothing to do with it as he is officially DLCursed.

Anybody else?

Last edited:

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Could be a melting of the timelines which I guess there going to compete for or forced too.

Kano's son is the new leader of the Black Dragon Clan. We could see a Kabal or the other members maybe compeate for leadership or different agenda.

Where there's Shao Kahn there's a Shang Tsung right behind him.

Maybe a bit of the continuation from the mkx comics with the outcome of Havik
& Goro.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I am fairly certain the parent characters Johnny Cage, Sonya, Jax, maybe Kenshi are not going to be playable but'll likely have a role in the story.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Which parts of MKX do you think got canonized, which ones didn't?
If we're talking about ladder endings, I think the following are pretty solid bets:
  • Shang Tsung is back, probably via the method in Ermac's ending (which means Ermac is gone for now). His resurrection is further referenced in Cassie and Mileena's ladder endings. Erron Black's ending reveals he made a pact with Shang Tsung, which could factor into MK11.
  • The Dream Realm is up to some timeline shenanigans -- Kitana's ending continues Jade's ending from MK9. Tremor goes to the Dream Realm in his ending to remind us that it exists.
  • Corrupted Raiden will assault Outworld preemptively, in an Earth/Outworld role reversal -- this pops up in Raiden, Kotal, and Bo' Rai Cho's ladder endings.
  • Jax may be dead (again), killed by Erron Black while defending the Kombat Kids -- this happens in his ending, with the same scene factoring into Erron's ending and the aftermath shown in Sonya's.
  • Kano will probably be replaced by his son, to keep up with the Kombat Kids.
More dubious, but of interest:
  • Kenshi and Takeda's endings have them teaming up with Taven to kil Daegon and avenge Takeda's mother. I wouldn't be surprised if this was canon, but taking place between MKX and MK11 and covered in a comic book or something. I think they probably want to take Taven and Daegon off the board, because the Armageddon storyline wasn't exactly well-received.
  • Mileena's ending provides a very easy logical reason for her to come back from the dead, and they may use that exact rationale to keep her in the roster.
  • Kung Jin and Kung Lao's endings are about them working together to free Kung Lao from Quan Chi's magic and make him human again. This could happen, I guess?
  • Whether or not it's canon, Cassie's ending suggests we're not going to see Shujinko return. It's a wink for the fans.
The rest of the endings seem likely to be non-canonical or inconsequential.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I would think that Dark Raiden and Scorpion would naturally get along. With Scorpion being "good" now but still very ruthless

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Depends how torqued off Raiden is that Scorpion killed Quan Chi and made it impossible to fix all the revenants. The Kitana/Liu Kang Netherrealm situation that's now brewing is to some degree Scorpion's fault.
True but if the Kung Lao and Kung Jin ladder endings do turn out to be canon there might be another way to bring them back

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I don't see baldy chick taking down Raiden unless she is an Elder God or EG level power honestly, Raiden I hope we see him at his full power which would be worldwide threat, I mean he's powerful enough to protect Earthrealm for eons, imagine if he took off the gloves, he still has the Amulet, now he needs to find some Kamidogus. Remember Onaga with them and the Amulet? Just picture Raiden lol haha. But I am curious about Baldy chick's powers, probably time bender which would make her pretty powerful in her own right.

She may have her own agenda, who knows. I don't necessarily see Raiden as "evil" like some people seem to think, but just super overprotective of Earth and less merciful. I mean can you blame him? lol.

It's hard for me to see Raiden as the big bad, what with how they killed him so easily and thoroughly in the trailer, which really diminishes the viewer's perception of him as a threat. At most I think he'll be a red herring villain at the beginning of the story.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I wonder how the "timelines" will work in this game? Like are we going to just go back in time to around MK9 which technically was MK1-MK3, or will we actually go to the other timeline before MK9 started. Scorpion wearing his MK3 costume (which wasn't present in 9 despite taking place around the same time) seems to imply that we are actually going to be able to see stuff (characters, events, etc) from the klassic games.

trufenix

bye felicia
The ending wishlist tradition endures, I see. Has anyone ever actually confirmed the number of times arcade endings wound up being canon? I've never seen all the endings in MKX (fuck cpu Shinnok, seriously) but I can't think of any from MK9 that were actually canonized, save some references (Enenra)

trufenix

bye felicia
It's hard for me to see Raiden as the big bad, what with how they killed him so easily and thoroughly in the trailer, which really diminishes the viewer's perception of him as a threat. At most I think he'll be a red herring villain at the beginning of the story.
That was easy? It took one and a half scorpions, and he's killed about 10 sub zeros.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
The ending wishlist tradition endures, I see. Has anyone ever actually confirmed the number of times arcade endings wound up being canon? I've never seen all the endings in MKX (fuck cpu Shinnok, seriously) but I can't think of any from MK9 that were actually canonized, save some references (Enenra)
They usually aren't, but the MKX ones often had enough overlap that it felt like they were trying to get specific story beats across.

There's precedent for that, too -- in the classic games, for instance, Sindel and Kitana's endings in U/MK3 are how we learned about Edenia and what had happened there.

Aramonde

Noob
I just realized this game will have another timeline plot just like the other fighting game series NRS makes lol. I want timeline story for MK11 because this new timeline sucks but it's pretty sad when both of their series has to rely on this kind of story gimmick.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I don't necessarily see Raiden as "evil" like some people seem to think, but just super overprotective of Earth and less merciful.
The problem here is that if Superman's story is of any indication, NRS will still probably introduce some motive and character decay making it harder for audience to root for him.

Not judging just by NRS-related works, but it seems these days many authors struggle to write characters like Regime!Supes or Dark!Raiden convincingly and without making them eating-babies-for-the-sake-of-abstract-order villainous.

Especially problematic since sometimes it seems like it could be avoided really easily. Like in dialogue between Supes and SG about WoWo and Harley from I2 story, when Supes failed to even try to explain any reasoning Diana could've had preferring to assume pose in front of his sister despite her losing confidence already, albeit admitting the timing was unfortunate. I mean, you could still continue with the storyline as it was written, but at least attempt to make character's stance reasonable. Not to mention that Supes' ending goes out of its way to try and drive the point home: "Hey, you choose wrong, fuck you".

I don't see baldy chick taking down Raiden unless she is an Elder God or EG level power honestly, Raiden I hope we see him at his full power which would be worldwide threat, I mean he's powerful enough to protect Earthrealm for eons, imagine if he took off the gloves, he still has the Amulet, now he needs to find some Kamidogus. Remember Onaga with them and the Amulet? Just picture Raiden lol haha. But I am curious about Baldy chick's powers, probably time bender which would make her pretty powerful in her own right.

She may have her own agenda, who knows. I don't necessarily see Raiden as "evil" like some people seem to think, but just super overprotective of Earth and less merciful. I mean can you blame him? lol.
Remember his MK 1 ending, he and the other gods destroyed the world? Yeah, I imagine that's how powerful he is with the gloves off, maybe even more so now from just coming back as dark let alone having the amulet.

And let's not forget, Reptile's race is almost extinct because the first time Raiden and Shinnok fought it was too intense.

Last edited:

MKF30

The problem here is that if Superman's story is of any indication, NRS will still probably introduce some motive and character decay making it harder for audience to root for him.

Not judging just by NRS-related works, but it seems these days many authors struggle to write characters like Regime!Supes or Dark!Raiden convincingly and without making them eating-babies-for-the-sake-of-abstract-order villainous.

Especially problematic since sometimes it seems like it could be avoided really easily. Like in dialogue between Supes and SG about WoWo and Harley from I2 story, when Supes failed to even try to explain any reasoning Diana could've had preferring to assume pose in front of his sister despite her losing confidence already, albeit admitting the timing was unfortunate. I mean, you could still continue with the storyline as it was written, but at least attempt to make character's stance reasonable. Not to mention that Supes' ending goes out of its way to try and drive the point home: "Hey, you choose wrong, fuck you".
Thing is that we have to consider is that Superman(Injustice Universe) is not Raiden and Raiden isn't Superman. I think honestly the only thing they have in common most of the time is they're both powerful and hold back, both tend to give mercy and both have good intentions in their mind(usually most of the time) However, Their reasons for going a bit darker are entirely different as well, their motives etc. But we'll see, I mean if he goes around killing people for merely disagreeing like Supes did to Billy/Shazam I can see where you're coming from, however if he just goes after people who are a threat to Earth with shady intentions I have no issue with him putting them down.

I guess it depends I mean I tend to not overthink things like that part too much, I think when WW meant the timing was unfortunate due to the Superman's comeback and him having a soft spot for Kara being his cousin which as we saw wasn't as caring as we thought(at least in this universe) The ending I liked actually because it shows how sadistic this version of Superman has become, while realizing that Batman is more valuable alive than dead while forcing him to be on his side via mind control tech from brainiac which is messed up. And Bat's ending is typical, but understandable. The only issue I have with both is during the war with both sides, they're trying to kill each other yet when both had the opportunity to kill the other's leader, they pass. I get why Batman doesn't want to, but you'd think that would be logical at this point to kill Superman. I don't get Superman sparing Batman though even taking that chance by just keeping him alive just shows how valuable Bat's mind is.

Remember his MK 1 ending, he destroyed the world (along with other gods)? Yeah, I imagine that's how powerful he is with the gloves off, maybe even more so now from just coming back as dark let alone having the amulet.

And let's not forget, Reptiles race is almost extinct because the first time Raiden and Shinnok fought it was too intense.
Exactly, Raiden is pretty damn OP but hey nerf the hell out of him. I can see I guess in terms of "Mortal Kombat" with the directly being challenged gig etc but yeah also remember MK 4's intro and MK 9, both canon since they didn't alter that far back in time where he nearly destroyed Earth defeating Shinnok the first time, he states billions of lives were lost and he nearly wiped out civilizations for good lol. It took years for Earth to get back on it's feet. I mean centuries ago when he refers to taking down Shinnok the first time.

Yeah that's true too, hell not just that but also when Shao Kahn conqured Zatarra years ago his forces wiped out whoever remained so Reptile's people were hiding out(what was left) in spots in Earthrealm. I think Khameleon and Chameleon still exist some where, they hinted at it in MK X.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Thing is that we have to consider is that Superman(Injustice Universe) is not Raiden and Raiden isn't Superman. I think honestly the only thing they have in common most of the time is they're both powerful and hold back, both tend to give mercy and both have good intentions in their mind(usually most of the time) However, Their reasons for going a bit darker are entirely different as well, their motives etc. But we'll see, I mean if he goes around killing people for merely disagreeing like Supes did to Billy/Shazam I can see where you're coming from, however if he just goes after people who are a threat to Earth with shady intentions I have no issue with him putting them down.
Well, right now we don't know what's up with Raiden, so characters can indeed go different routes. There's a risk he will take an "end justifies the means" kind of character, and from my experience this can often end in a nice dumpster fire. It seems that the to-go moral of the story here is that unrestrained power corrupts. The problem here is that it's one thing if it means employing nastier means, but forgetting the initial vision and proceeding to do shit that in no way helps it, almost like it's being done "for the evulz", is another. Or, other times, the reasoning is not brought up when it's due, or muddled down in general.

As a result, character may end up looking unjustified at all, carrying out dumb acts, and him having any following becomes less and less plausible unless they all degrade into villains with little to nothing remaining of agenda they had before. So, basically, character decay I was talking about.

It seems for now that Raiden is more concerned with "foreign matters" of Earthrealm rather than the Realm itself, but it's still easy for him to, say, go full Minority Report while making more enemies than he intends to remove.

What I'm saying is that is something like that happens, he better have specific reasons to stay on course other than being stubborn. Something to give a player who cares about the story a good reason to pick his route (if there will be such things in MK11) other than "hey, let's just see that one".

MKF30

Well, right now we don't know what's up with Raiden, so characters can indeed go different routes. There's a risk he will take an "end justifies the means" kind of character, and from my experience this can often end in a nice dumpster fire. It seems that the to-go moral of the story here is that unrestrained power corrupts. The problem here is that it's one thing if it means employing nastier means, but forgetting the initial vision and proceeding to do shit that in no way helps it, almost like it's being done "for the evulz", is another. Or, other times, the reasoning is not brought up when it's due, or muddled down in general.

As a result, character may end up looking unjustified at all, carrying out dumb acts, and him having any following becomes less and less plausible unless they all degrade into villains with little to nothing remaining of agenda they had before. So, basically, character decay I was talking about.

It seems for now that Raiden is more concerned with "foreign matters" of Earthrealm rather than the Realm itself, but it's still easy for him to, say, go full Minority Report while making more enemies than he intends to remove.

What I'm saying is that is something like that happens, he better have specific reasons to stay on course other than being stubborn. Something to give a player who cares about the story a good reason to pick his route (if there will be such things in MK11) other than "hey, let's just see that one".
Yeah I mean the trailer is just to show off some newer mechanics I'm sure, show how awesome it'll be, some newer moves, customizations etc, etc like the MK X one you know? But yeah, we'll have to see and who knows if they'll timejump a few years from when MK X ended. Like you said we'll see we don't know his reasoning yet, but at the same time if he was more protective considering how many times Earthrealm has been threatened I kind of don't blame him lol. I mean if he goes totally off the rails killing anyone who merely disagrees with him, I agree that that's not good for him but if he just eliminates the threats I have no issues with that. I'm sure the story will explain it all well though.

I see, well we don't know just yet and after a while it's challenging to write certain characters. Obviously you dont want to see the same things over and over it gets dull. I think it's cool to make the goody two shoes guys more badass sometimes. It allows them more freedom and shows you what they'd do when they not hold back from time to time. I think in a way him concerned with foreign threats coincides with Earthrealm as it's his reasoning as long as he doesn't neglect Earthrealm itself but maybe Raiden will hunt threats while Fujin protects it back home? Hmmm

Yeah, different paths would be cool. Only annoying thing about that is it makes you wonder which is canon sometimes which I hate personally but should be fun.