What's new

MK11 Kano Discussion

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
Here are my notes on Ripper:
  1. His b3, b4, d4, b2, f2, f3, d1, and f4 are all amazing buttons.
  2. his 24~throw~amplify is a great 9 frame punisher into 291+ 1-bar damage.
  3. His mixup game between f2, f43, command grab, and other offense makes his oki and corner games insane.
  4. his b3 crushing blow is insanely easy to get. it's a very spammable normal, at -4 on block
  5. knife is a great projectile
  6. his parry stays out forever and even beats out throws
  7. his command grab is awesome
  8. amplified safe Kano Balls for the win!
  9. d1, d4, 11, d3, and 24 all tick into command grab
Here is my strategy so far:
  1. Zone with knives and fish with b2-f2~dbf2, b3, b4, f3, and f43
  2. When I get a knockdown, start my oki between f2, f43, command grab, b4, jumping attacks, and other nonsense. it's all safe-ish 50/50s
  3. if I read pressure, use parry

Last edited:

kantboy-2

Ripper
They changed the variation names again. Heh.

My opinion on Kano;

Manhandled should be part of the Kano base kit. The 2,2,1+3 should have another ender that doesn't amplify but still side switches. Dirtbag could use the strings.

The 1+3 jumping elbow ender should become a mid command grab (d,f,b+2) for Ripper. Make it slower or less range than Lumbar Check, I don't care; I want a side switching command grab in the tool kit.

I have no clue what to say about the loadout formely known as Dirtbag; tried it and it's not fun for me.

The grind for Kano items (brutalities/actual skins, not recolors/intros/outtros) is fucking absurd. It shouldn't be this frustrating to 'complete' my fucking main character.

I love Kano, but NRS has sucked the fun out of it with this launch.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Here are my issues:
Id take his 2 being mid and him making this 2,4,throw negative on block
He legit has the worst krushing blows
his combo extension is tied to manhandled or his vacuum move (which is limited)
snakebite is 2 slots but why?

MagicMan357

The only real problem with 2, is that it is 9f, so even when someone is on negative frames, he is still able to poke out, out of 2,4 punisher.

So it either should be faster, or should be mid, to avoid bully.
Yea i legit think thats his main issue, all he can do is his down moves and a well placed b3.

his back 4 is broken as fuck lmao!

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Yea i legit think thats his main issue, all he can do is his down moves and a well placed b3.
If nothing will change. I already have a plan: conditioning opponent with b1 x blades or ball, if no bar. Maybe after that they decide to block and respect.

MagicMan357

If nothing will change. I already have a plan: conditioning opponent with b1 x blades or ball, if no bar. Maybe after that they decide to block and respect.
I have on pc so i see some people said they nerfed his d1, so im really wondering wtf now lmao

character feels really bad so far sadly but hes teetering on good! make f12b2's second hit a mid give him an actual safe mid string so he doesnt get AFK ducked on all game and hes perfect dropping him until then for sure. Side note the other variation with "VEGE-MIGHTY" is the most useless variation easily.

Kano's f2 is an option select. If you cancel f2 into a special, it will only come out on hit.
Isn’t f2 -14 on block? Or does the fact that it’s a crouching animation make it safe-ish due to low profiling fast highs? I’d check myself, but I can’t play for another 12 hours (somebody send help).

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I use “rotten scoundrel” and you guys are severely underestimating the power of vegemite buff.

Safe confirms off

B1 (mid)
22 (punish)
F12 (whiff punish)
B2, 22xxvegemitexxkano ball

Along with those confirms the buff also makes kano balls faster, armored, more damaging and cover more distance on the screen.

Chemical burn unfortunately is very bad but good to retreat with if the opponent is conditioned to look for something else. It should be safer on block because I like the idea of the move.

Molotov is booboo..

Zachara

Noob
I don't think anyone is underrating Vegemite, it's just not worth giving up command grab and increased strings for it since the other 2 things in the loadout are actually terrible.
Don't get me wrong, I'm going to mess around with that variation to try and find something but as 90% of people who have looked at it have said "It doesn't make any real sense and just seems bad". It's even worse when you look at the good moves that weren't used at all and can't help but wonder why they thought this gimmicky crap was worth making into a tournament variation. If we had Vegemite + any two of the unused moves I'm fairly sure people would be all over it but paired with molotov and chemical burn is no bueno.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I don't think anyone is underrating Vegemite, it's just not worth giving up command grab and increased strings for it since the other 2 things in the loadout are actually terrible.
Don't get me wrong, I'm going to mess around with that variation to try and find something but as 90% of people who have looked at it have said "It doesn't make any real sense and just seems bad". It's even worse when you look at the good moves that weren't used at all and can't help but wonder why they thought this gimmicky crap was worth making into a tournament variation. If we had Vegemite + any two of the unused moves I'm fairly sure people would be all over it but paired with molotov and chemical burn is no bueno.
Fair enough but to me the command grab variation suffered from the opposite problem, 2 good moves paired with a third move (manhandled) that doesnt make sense. A command grab character that can’t keep you in the corner cause all his strings side switch. The side switching on his stand 2 strings is the reason I passed on that variation.

Manhandled was literally the only custom that couldn’t be paired with counter/command grab.

Zachara

Noob
I get what you're saying but I would argue that it's not that bad since you can use them to put your opponent in the corner if you're cornered and worst case you can end with F2UD4 to switch again.
My biggest issue is that without Manhandled Kano's combo potential is (If I'm being polite about it) lacking. We get access to what, B2 and D2-KB as starters? I get that Kano isn't designed to have Kung Lao type combos that juggle for days but since they decided we're not allowed to use Snakebite or Pull, Manhandled is the only thing keeping us from having 3-4 hit combos.

Having a hard time deciding whom to main this time around. Having the most fun with Kano, Jax and Raiden but I cannot decide if Kano is good enough compared to Jax? I am mostly plaxing the tourney variants even though they are lacking, but they are the intended configuration atm. Kano has his knives but Jax is probably the beast in cqc in comparison?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
Isn’t f2 -14 on block? Or does the fact that it’s a crouching animation make it safe-ish due to low profiling fast highs? I’d check myself, but I can’t play for another 12 hours (somebody send help).
It is, though it's yet to have been punished. I'm not sure if it's the lowered hitbox or the spacing, but people seem to have a difficult time punishing it right now.

I think his biggest problem is his lack off effective mids, what with b1 having no range, b2 being punishable, and b3 being slower than a lot of other characters' mids. Other than that, Ripper is a great variation imo.