What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Thinking about it while waiting for the patch....3rd variation has us play like zoners now.

Just walkback spam until they brainexplode, and just insta shoulder them when they come close.
Shoulder allows full AA conversion without meter, so that's that.

Still no KBs so there's no way to catch up to those 4-6 35% KB wonders we got going in top tier, but meh...

The third variation will be better against some characters for sure. For instance I think it makes the Jade, Cetrion and Kabal matchups more manageable because we can keep them out of the air.

I think we should wait before reacting. We don't know the new frame data for the moves. I'm pretty sure they can make a good variation with those moves. Maybe they'll also fix the hitboxes and modify the f43 KB. Let's wait and see please.

The new variation now has a 9f mid (so a 8f reversal) and is safe for the cost of a meter, the forceballs look better than the current meta.

The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of KB.

I Truly do believe that Johnny's Nut Punch Krushing Blow that converts off a punish was supposed to work with the old system of krushing blows where Punish krushing blows could be used mid combo off of a string or normal punish, and the Dev team was just too lazy to fix the requirment to make it usable after the changes, so now we're left with an unusable Krushing that never got fixed after 6 months of the game being out... Says quiet abit about their care for this character now does it?

I think we should wait before reacting. We don't know the new frame data for the moves. I'm pretty sure they can make a good variation with those moves. Maybe they'll also fix the hitboxes and modify the f43 KB. Let's wait and see please.

The new variation now has a 9f mid (so a 8f reversal) and is safe for the cost of a meter, the forceballs look better than the current meta.

The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of KB.
If they did they would of mentioned it while showcasing his new variation just like they did with the rest of the cast. Clearly they don't care, they just don't care. They can animate new krushing blows for characters that already have them but not for the single most character that needs them... I have no hope about this dev team anymore, they've shown their tender loving care to Cage throughout the first 6 months right?

SpideR

Noob
“Johnny s third variation is like clasic MK2...” oh i see that...clasic style like NO KRUSHING BLOWS ON THIS VARIATION...

we play like classic MK, no using KB becouse there are lames. Lets wait the patch notes with hope...

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Ok let’s look at the bright side. They fixed the arc of the forceballs. If they didn’t change the apples at which you can throw them, it’s going to be the best fireball in the game. We already don’t rely on amped forceballs for pressure. Now we have an amazing zoning tool, plus everything we had before. Sucks there is no announced changes to KBs but dudes....who the fuck is getting in on that shit?

And the rising star can combo now? That’s great. Let’s stay positive.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
9frame special reversal seems nice?

I'm quietly optimistic.

It's better than his old variation where literally all ability moves were awful and useless
God damn the doom and gloom. Mime Time and Caged Rage weren’t bad. The only useless move was brass knuckles.

Wigy

There it is...
God damn the doom and gloom. Mime Time and Caged Rage weren’t bad. The only useless move was brass knuckles.
Go watch Kombat play or any high level Johnny.

Literally never used. Maybe throw mine time in if they're hella wakeup happy. Not worth being ability moves at the very least.

I honestly forget about any of his ability moves.

Anyways no point getting into it. I'm optimistic on the new cage variation I'm glad they made the effort to make the arcing balls not useless

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Go watch Kombat play or any high level Johnny.

Literally never used. Maybe throw mine time in if they're hella wakeup happy. Not worth being ability moves at the very least.

I honestly forget about any of his ability moves.

Anyways no point getting into it. I'm optimistic on the new cage variation I'm glad they made the effort to make the arcing balls not useless
No. I want to get into it.

Fuck Kombat. Do you play at that level? Why do people here always talk as if they’re at this level? None of us are.

I use mime time in between so
many character’s staggers, to stop advancing strings on a reads from characters like Baraka and Kotal, and in some gaps on characters like Liu Kang. Not to mention wake up reads. It has use. It’s not worthless at all.

And Caged Rage....we are almost 6 months into the game and hardly anyone contests it. And I’m pretty sure they never actively contest it at the right time. They poke to poke and get lucky because I’m on phase 1. Otherwise it lands every time. We’re getting like 17% for a bar that’s unblockable and I can get it twice a match. It’s actually pretty good. I close out so many close matches with it. I’m playing God level players and they eat it. What more could you ask for?

All that being said, I’m extremely optimistic. This variation could be his best as long as the force balls hit low blocking characters.

Wigy

There it is...
No. I want to get into it.

Fuck Kombat. Do you play at that level? Why do people here always talk as if they’re at this level? None of us are.

I use mime time in between so
many character’s staggers, to stop advancing strings on a reads from characters like Baraka and Kotal, and in some gaps on characters like Liu Kang. Not to mention wake up reads. It has use. It’s not worthless at all.

And Caged Rage....we are almost 6 months into the game and hardly anyone contests it. And I’m pretty sure they never actively contest it at the right time. They poke to poke and get lucky because I’m on phase 1. Otherwise it lands every time. We’re getting like 17% for a bar that’s unblockable and I can get it twice a match. It’s actually pretty good. I close out so many close matches with it. I’m playing God level players and they eat it. What more could you ask for?

All that being said, I’m extremely optimistic. This variation could be his best as long as the force balls hit low blocking characters.
Kl

I'm starting to think Sonic is actively harming Johnny Cage on purpose.
S-tier is definitely a stretch, but the downplay in this thread is unreal. Showstopper is great. Top-tier footsies, great staggers, plus frames galore, unbreakable damage, restands for days...

sounds like y'all think he is bottom 5

I’ve been messing with Rising Shoulder tonight and it is a fantastic move. The amp part being an overhead is great and it is a nice check off of a nutpunch restand or plus frames if you have a bar. This combined with those forceballs have me really positive on that third variation. I’ve been playing Johnny as a zoner a lot anyways, so this variation is right up my alley.

S-tier is definitely a stretch, but the downplay in this thread is unreal. Showstopper is great. Top-tier footsies, great staggers, plus frames galore, unbreakable damage, restands for days...

sounds like y'all think he is bottom 5
He can hang with anyone his forceballs don’t whiff on. The problem is that they whiff on a lot of the cast.

D

Deleted member 35141

Gonna try out this third variation, had to take a break from this game and site for over a month.
Does his shoulder and shadow kick recover faster now? That's what it looked like on the kombat kast.

Nice thing about the high forceballs is it might keep jade, centrion and kabal on the ground.

M.D.

I'm glad they made the effort to make the arcing balls not useless
Just a bit nitpicky but...the guy was right there, in the code/data for cage, changing arc fireballs hitbox and frame data.

It would have taken 5 minutes to fix straight forceballs to not whiff on crouch block.

They literally did it for kitana, her amp fan is now a mid.

Just shows they genuinely don't want them fixed.

So I created a variation similar to the third variation except with straight forceballs since the low arced balls are currently fucked and played some online casuals. Fought a great Jade that was basically using Emerald Defender. Johnny felt way more capable with this variation. Rising Star being a fast mid that is safe on amp and catches people in the air is insane. I’ve been using it for oki because it covers everything but a roll and possibly wakeup u3. They can’t neutral jump it, can’t wakeup buttons or delay wakeup because you catch them with the amped overhead on the way down. Condition them to block, especially when they have no meter and you get a free throw.

M.D.

It's safe on amp but still gives a guaranteed 50-50 to your opponent as throw/fast mid.

It doesn't have broken pushback like other moves that leave them out of most button ranges so you still get to mash.

It's ok but not S tier.